Renault 5 Turbo

Compkiler

Reaction score
If they started to make them again, I'd have one tomorrow!
I've never had a faster car to 60 and it was brutal the way it put you back in the bucket seats!
Mine had a hybrid turbo though!

I bought her when I was 20yrs old and she was immaculate! Used to polished her every weekend!

Mine was the spitting image and colour of the pictures below!
Mine was a phase 1

Always wanted one , still on my bucket list , near pulled the trigger on one a couple of years ago ... Awesome, I want a raider ....

Reactions: Compkiler
I actually wanted a 205 gti 1.9 when I bought the 5 Turbo!

Drove about 15 1.9's and they all drove different! There was only one that was fantastic but at the time it was just out of my price range...
I then saw this 5 Turbo at a garage on the way to work sitting outside on the forecourt in its own. It was there for a good few weeks but one day I was bored and I didn't even like it but I thought I'd check it out!
The garage owner had a raider in his garage to which was his wife's and I remember what he said to me.. He gave me a pep talk and told me to respect the car... before we drove her and he frightened me to the point I didn't go above 50 lol... I touched the accelerator and I got instantly slammed to my seat and was buzzing! I knew then I had to have this car as it blu me away and beat all the 205 gti's I had driven! It was on a different scale as the power was just ridiculous!

They are one fun car to drive. Had five over the years ( ph1,ph2 and raider)and still have one in the garage! Has been there now for last seven years.lol.

Needs a clean!! It's a Ph1 with some Ph2 parts added (cooling system,front bumper) and tuned by GT Tuning.

Lovely bud :)
God I still wish j had mine!
I remember my clutch be extremely stiff too! Not sure if that was normal on these cars ??
I also remember how quick and instant the revs went up when you were in neutral and touched the accelerator slightly! There was no delay, just instant power

Ah,. loved my one. I got one brand new in 1988 as part of a deal to seduce me into joining a City firm. I'd had a Fiat Uno Turbo before that and loved the concept of small turbo cars, still do as you can see by my car list.

I never even considered the 205 or Golf GTI at that time.

I remember how light and small the car was. I 'chipped' it as everyone must have done and it did make about 10-20% difference. I also remember that I loved the seats and steering wheel.

Alas, I thrashed the f**k out of it for 2 years and killed it - literally killed it.
I had to use a company car pool Saab 900 over the winter until my next company car date came up then got one of those Rover Tomcat Turbo things...

Back in the day, I turned up at Santa Pod for a 205 gti meet, at the same time as the Renault 5 Turbo forum.

It was like a competition to see who could get the most cars to break down. :)

Some of them were seriously quick though!