Renntech tuned pre FL A45 AMG VS REVO TUNED RS3

tankclark

Reaction score
thought this was interesting, same stretch of road pre faclift A45 vs the current RS3, incredible how close they are.

Ben's A45 :)

Revos tune is very mid range heavy, compared to some of the others... Oettinger included - who are running nearly a second quicker to 200.

As an ex A45 owner, who had a Willall tune - very mid range heavy... there are tunes...and tunes... and the Renntech one definitely has the best curve, with proper top end.

At the end of the day, it comes down to turbo size and engine size... the RS3 has the larger in both cases... has far more tune-ability up its sleeve... look at what a simple impeller change, does... you get 500bhp... once you change coolers alone ( the standard VAG one is small and leaves the car susceptible to heat fluctuation), it makes a huge difference.

3 years ago when the A45 came out... the tunes available were running 9s to 100mph... give this car 2 years and stage 1-2 will be in the 7s - infact ive seen an oettinger car already run 7.9 to 100mph.

APR is also yet to release their cars too.

I'd be very dubious about a 7.9 sec 0-100 mph run, that sends out of line of any tuned RS3 8v times seen so far, I agree the A45 hasn't had the same backing from tuners but it's running far faster times tuned than 9 secs to 100 mph now

I'd be very dubious about a 7.9 sec 0-100 mph run, that sends out of line of any tuned RS3 8v times seen so far, I agree the A45 hasn't had the same backing from tuners but it's running far faster times tuned than 9 secs to 100 mph now

The RS3 has been out 6 months max....Autobild alone got 8.05 seconds for the oettinger tune... considering the old TTRS was running in the mid 7s on stage 1-2... Also, another guy with a Revo RS3, posted 8.2 on his Vbox... and Revo is a midrange focused tuned. So I fail to see how it wont be common pretty soon. You can say what you want about an A45 doing sub 9 seconds tuned, but not one publication has ever got near this...and they have tested GAD, Rebellion, Brabus and Renntech.

It is well known, that the RS3 stock cooler is way undersized, so a stage 2 upgrade of that an exhaust will actually make a big difference, whereas similar upgrades to an A45 are relatively futile. The RS3 has way more tuning potential, period... look at the 500-700bhp 8v cars already on sale.

Not to bash the A45, as I think its handling is sublime, but When I sold my A45, I went back to CPC in Sydney, who are probably one of the premier bespoke tuners... they have underground twin turbo lambos, and are the major purveyor of Akropovic here in Oz... anyhow their words to me was " good that you sold that car mate, in all honestly, it was a dog, we were not impressed with it".

SL tuning - out of Germany just sent me their new Stage 1 cars 100-200km/h splits... notice its running as quick as 8.8 seconds

Attachments

• SL 100-200.png
    SL 100-200.png
    458 KB · Views: 403
You say the RS3 has been out 6 months it hasn't, the ECU has changed and that's more or less it so the engine itself has been around years, this gives lazy tuners an easy route to money rather than take a brand new platform like the A45.
Here's a verified level ground Vbox 0-100 mph time from a stage 2 A45, this particular car only had 400 bhp at a dyno day, it's as fast as the times you quoted for an engine that's been out and tested on for years and considerably quicker than an equivelant tuned golf R.

Also here's a comparison done by an RS3 8v owner and A45 FL owner on the A45 forum, same road at the same time, 1 foot roll out feature was added so the 0-60 is slightly misconstrued but it seems the RS3 8v only really had any advantage off the initial launch, after that the A45 pulls it back slightly, and also posts better in gear times.

First one is the RS3

Mate,

thats great its all here say...every real publication shows stock RS3s running to 200 in 14.8 seconds, while the A45 more like 16 seconds.

The gap gets ugly above 200... Autobild ran the RS3 10 seconds quicker from 200-250km/h than the A45 alone...

Attachments

• rs3 vs a45.JPG
    rs3 vs a45.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 334
10 seconds lol that shows how reliable they are, if you honestly think an RS3 which gets to around 113mph (rough quarter mile trap speed and virtually identical to the A45) around 0.1 secs quicker than the A45 FL but then from somewhere miraculously gets a second wind and carries on to 120 mph over a second quicker then id be very surprised.

10 seconds lol that shows how reliable they are, if you honestly think an RS3 which gets to around 113mph (rough quarter mile trap speed and virtually identical to the A45) around 0.1 secs quicker than the A45 FL but then from somewhere miraculously gets a second wind and carries on to 120 mph over a second quicker then id be very surprised.

Them and every other publication?

Dude, with respect, I had an A45... and it was tuned... I am not so worried about encounting one...and I dont have an obsessive predilection with any of my other cars.

The data you got from Ben is from one run... I speak to Ben too and we've shared alot of data between one another, and the general consensus is that the two cars are close, but no doubt as tuning becomes more available for the RS3, it will be far more tunable.

In terms of how come the stock FL isnt amazing beyond 200-210, because it changes gear and its nowhere near as torquey in the higher midrange as the RS3.

This video alone shows, how much the FL A45 dies above 210...as it albiet being pretty close until then - as you said

Its pretty visually obvious -->

Also, in addition to this... I wasnt going to pull this out, as I think its petty... but heres a 1ft rollout 0-100km/h time I just replicated about an hour ago... Ben always asks why we cant do 0-160km/h runs here... tis the nanny state!

Anyhow... I'm pretty sure this is quicker than anything I've seen from an A45... and I only used my DTUK box for this.... oh and apparently slightly uphill :)

Attachments

• rs3 60 ft.jpg
    rs3 60 ft.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 314
  • rs3 test 0-100.jpg
    rs3 test 0-100.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 331
I've just showed you a verified Vbox time from an A45 that had a tune box and intake that achieved 3.4 secs to 60 mph without 1 foot rollout so no it's not really any faster.

I've just showed you a verified Vbox time from an A45 that had a tune box and intake that achieved 3.4 secs to 60 mph without 1 foot rollout so no it's not really any faster.

Um, lets see... Ben's car always runs 3.7-3.8 to 100km/h with 1ft rollout... which might yield 3.4-3.5 0-60mph .... I did 3.4 to 100km/h, on a slight incline. I am pretty sure thats 3.2 to 60mph mate.... and I have a tuning box.

The time I posted wasn't from bens car, wasn't 0-100 kph it was 0-60 mph and it wasn't using the 1 foot rollout feature, if it was it would be near as identical times to yours. Which goes back to my original point that saying which is faster with these two cars is like splitting hairs, I will agree with you though that the RS3 easily has the edge with tuning potential.

dude,

here is Bens run... broken up ... hes notably slower than 3.4 seconds with rollout... more like just shy of 3.7.

With no rollout hes running 4.0

Bens times

The time I posted wasn't from bens car, wasn't 0-100 kph it was 0-60 mph and it wasn't using the 1 foot rollout feature, if it was it would be near as identical times to yours. Which goes back to my original point that saying which is faster with these two cars is like splitting hairs, I will agree with you though that the RS3 easily has the edge with tuning potential.

Dude, that Vbox is in 1 ft rollout mode... Ben will tell you, you are dreaming if you think that car runs 3.6 to 100 with no rollout haha... thats nearly 0.4 seconds quicker than Bens car...and as I know he has the quickest time for a stage 1 A45.

Your wasting your time here... I've had both, and vboxed both, and there is a significant difference 0-60mph... A45 launches notably worse.