Replacement A4 Key&Fob

liam1978

Reaction score
Anyone help, looking to buy our second Audi, A4 Avant S line from a (non Audi) dealer but there is only one key.

I have spoken with a local (Sheffield) auto locksmith who says they are dealer only, Audi Sheffield want £220 for the cut and fob and a further £70 to reprogram.

So, is it dealer only? and is it possible to get a blade cut and then re program a replacemnt fob without the dealer???

No luck on Google? Seemed to be a few leads for "audi replacement keys sheffield".

As another thought, why is this your problem? If the non Audi dealer wants the sale get them to sort it out or walk away. There are so many cars for sale why cause yourself grief?

No luck on Google? Seemed to be a few leads for "audi replacement keys sheffield".

As another thought, why is this your problem? If the non Audi dealer wants the sale get them to sort it out or walk away. There are so many cars for sale why cause yourself grief?
I've spoke to a couple local ones who said they couldn't do it and forwarded me to dealers, spoke to the seller today who won't budge on price, but of a shame really as its a decent car for the price but I have walked away

Reactions: scotty76
I've spoke to a couple local ones who said they couldn't do it and forwarded me to dealers, spoke to the seller today who won't budge on price, but of a shame really as its a decent car for the price but I have walked away
I think that's for the best, you don't need the agro. Never know the seller may call you back in a week and offer to do it. "No" often doesn't mean "final answer" to dealers. :)

Good call @liam1978. If the dealer isn't prepared to arrange the second key at no cost to you, it doesn't deserve your custom or your money. Look elsewhere, you'll find another, no bother. :)

Reactions: scotty76
I'd think that if you consider that the asking price is in keeping for a car in that condition/age/mileage complete with a full set of keys, then you should really point that out to the seller, if everything else is okay and the price is a snip, then you just need to accept that it has been priced with a view to you needing to fund replacing the missing key etc. (no free lunches)

Make sure you get the old key taken off the list of keys that are coded to the car, they can still be used to open the door, but wont be able to drive it away.

Reactions: Meemo
Well I bit the bullet and bought it, thinking why should I let £290 keep me away from a bargain of a car, so now on my second Audi, absolutely love it! Off to Audi in Saturday to order the second fob.

gratz on the new purchase.
I personally wouldnt buy a car with a missing key, for fear of who has it, obviously very unlikely the old owner will find the key and try find the car :)
But even if it is removed from the list as mentioned, they can easily code it back in if they are able to open the doors, by plugging in the OBD port and re adding it.
Theifs steal cars these days without the keys by breaking the window and re programming a blank key.

gratz on the new purchase.
I personally wouldnt buy a car with a missing key, for fear of who has it, obviously very unlikely the old owner will find the key and try find the car :)
But even if it is removed from the list as mentioned, they can easily code it back in if they are able to open the doors, by plugging in the OBD port and re adding it.
Theifs steal cars these days without the keys by breaking the window and re programming a blank key.

Like you said highly unlikely, there is only one previous owner whose name and address I've got, and lives over 200miles away, I did think of this before I bought. Way I look at it is if someone really wants to steal it they will, keys or no keys, it's insured.

Well, @liam1978, iI 've got to say you've weighed everything up and thought hard before going ahead. Fair play, and I hope you enjoy the car and the forum. :)

I had the same issue when i got my s4, managed to get the price of a new key and a couple bodywork repairs knocked off the asking price and don't regret it a single bit!