Replacement Fog Lights - Xenon Colour Match

a3_phil

Reaction score
To head off the inevitable fog-light backlash I never use them unless it's actually foggy with very poor visibility...

Now that that's out the way...

I do find it quite annoying when locking the car and activating the "light me home" lights that the colour of the fog-lights is so different to the colour of the DRLs. It'd be quite nice to have a set of fog-lights that were the same white colour.

Has anyone got any recommendations for a decent (non HID) and reasonably priced set of fog-lights?

How difficult are they to replace?

Agree, it doesn't look great but they are that yellow colour for a reason, they are considerably more effective than a white light.

I wouldn't have thought they would be too difficult to replace though should you want to.

Last edited:
I've just done this on my Leon mk3 (just in time to trade it in!) and used Philips Diamond Vision 5000k H8 fitment which matches very well with the LED DRL's. RHS was easy but LHS was a pain due to the washer bottle placement hopefully it'll be easier on the 8V - Good Luck !!

I got lazy so I made up a tool similar to the one inside the bood of our Audis. it ended up looking like this.
2014-05-14164705.jpg

Once you get your "tool" out of the boot you have to insert it here. and pull hard and fast. Dont worry it wont break. But seriously pull hard and fast.
2014-05-14164038.jpg

Once removed it will look like these.
2014-05-14164232.jpg

2014-05-14164258.jpg

Unscrew these 2 disconnect the wire and remove the OEM bulb by turning it.
2014-05-14164135.jpg

Now my modification. I bought by mistake H11 bulbs Osram cool blue but i had to buy the H8. (handbook says H11)
After searching some info on the internet I found out that if you carefully cut a bit of some plates to make it look like these they will fit the H8 hole.
2014-05-14164414.jpg

2014-05-14164358.jpg

This lastone is the back of the lamp and the H8 OEM bulb
2014-05-14164508.jpg

Result and comparison:
2014-05-142258151.jpg

Its still not fully white but close. IMO its the best way to replace this bulb as LED bulbs dont light up as much as halogen unless you buy some CREE leds which they are pretty expensive.
Now that I have cornering I really appreciate that I've changed these.
PD: its the same process for exterior Sline.

Reactions: Jassyo06, Rob2k68, TomislAv3 and 1 other person
The S3 doesn't have fog lamps do they?
I know with the A4 B8 you could of gone behind the wheel arch and just unscrewed a few bolts to get to the fog lamps to replace, that's what I did with my old one, seemed easier than taking the whole thing off

Sorry to bump this thread, I have tried looking for the tool to remove the fog light grill in the boot but cannot find anything? I have the screwdriver and locking nut and all the other bits, is it normally located with these bits?

Sorry to bump this thread, I have tried looking for the tool to remove the fog light grill in the boot but cannot find anything? I have the screwdriver and locking nut and all the other bits, is it normally located with these bits?

It's in the wheel jack kit, it's for removal of the centre caps on the alloys

Yes, search every single pocket of the tool bag. Maybe it's hidden somewhere