Replacement of current A2 model

• Thread starter imported_ndrummond
  • Start date
I

imported_ndrummond

I have owned an A2 since 2000 when it was first launched.

Despite two initial gremlins (hatch closing mechanism not great and electronics not properly sorted), the car has been fantastic. I am in awe of Audi's build quality and cabin design. There's nothing else to touch it. Moreover, the fuel economy is simply staggering, even with the petrol version.

In short, the A2 was always a better car than the Mercedes-Benz A-Class. Clever. Classy. Well-engineered. My wife loves it. We use it for long journeys although it is at its best in London. Audi is to be congratulated for producing such an excellent little car.

So imagine my disappointment when I heard that Audi will not be replacing it. The reason, as far as I can make out, is that its Aluminium space frame chassis and body is expensive to make which means that Audi needs to charge a higher price than competitors do for similar types of cars. As a result, A2 hasn't sold in sufficient numbers to justify investment in a follow-up model.

This decsion IMHO flies in the face of VORSPRUNG DURCH TEHNICH and smacks of BEANCOUNTER-DRIVEN MARKETING DRIVEL. Without a replacement model, Audi is leaving this segment to Mercedes-Benz with the new A-Class. Moreover, I feel extremely cynical about the A3. It is simply a rebodied Golf with a better badge sold at a higher price. Yes it goes well. But I would feel a real plonker for paying so much more for a car I could have otherwise bought for less. Moreover, the A3 makes Golf customers feel short-changed, because it has a lower specification.

Platform-sharing badge-engineering benefits neither brand in the long-term. It simply creates product overlap that dilutes both brands. So, I'd like to see a new A2 Mr Winterkorn. I'd like it to have all the space efficency and economy of the mini-monopsace category but all the premium quality and driver appeal of an Audi.

The Mini shows that premium-priced small cars are viable.

Judging by the total lack of interest in this post, I can only conclude that nobody gives a damn what happens to this car. Guess we'll have to get an A-Class instead.

LOL, there is no replacement - Go buy a Lupo instead /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The new A-Class is very good and will be the bread van to have for taking the kids to school.

- Andy

[ QUOTE ]
drum said:
Moreover, I feel extremely cynical about the A3. It is simply a rebodied Golf with a better badge sold at a higher price. Yes it goes well. But I would feel a real plonker for paying so much more for a car I could have otherwise bought for less. Moreover, the A3 makes Golf customers feel short-changed, because it has a lower specification.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought a new A3 2.0 TDI.

Who is the plonker? I'm not sure on your argument... Is the golf a better buy? If so why are they feeling short changed?

Are we talking about the old A3 or the new A3 as your argument does not seem to be clear. If it's the new A3 please explain to me how it is more expensive compared to the Golf? Check similar specs and I bet there's little more than £500 between models. Don't forget servicing costs too.

AutoCar did a 36 month comparison between the Golf and A3 2.0 TDI and believe it or not the Golf was more expnsive to run over 36 months than the Audi.

Kev.

Drum

I agree that the A2 is a great car but it's a small market so I guess Audi decided that it wasn't worth the expense of developing a new model when the A-class has got the sector sewn up.

I disagree with you on the A3 though. It is significantly better put together than a Golf and also looks much better. However the main advantage is that over 3 years it's depreciation is much lower so although you pay more up front you get more back when you sell. So overall it's a cheaper car to run.

It's the same argument that I used when people asked why I was buying an A4 instead of something cheaper. The Audi was 10p per mile cheaper than a similarly spec'd Vectra even though the Vectra was about £5k cheaper on initial purchase. So, not a plonker, just looking after the bank balance!

Dave

drum, funny, why would people chose 1-series over A3? I'm interested to hear reasons, because, I found the 1-series to be overpriced competition to A3.

It's smaller inside, it's just as big outside, it costs more than A3 and it's not that much better to drive. Visibility outside is just horrible, I mean horrible. Horrible.

There's hardly anything special in 1-series, and it certainly isn't competing in another class, it's a direct competition to A3. Haven't seen many sold here, but it's just out, so maybe that's the reason.

There's nothing practical in 1-series. Nothing. I haven't heard anyone praising it's practicality, not even BMW-dealers. All they market is about driving feel, how it's the only RWD hatchback.

- Yak