Replacing Concert head unit with Pioneer X9500BT

FreddyA4

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have an Audi A4 B7 2005, with a standard Audi Concert head unit part no (8E0035186D) Currently the system is half amplified (rear speakers and standard sub), please see attached photos.

Photo2Photo 2

I've bought a Pioneer x9500BT, along with fascia adapter and harness for (half amplified) system. I have plugged everything in but the new head unit does not power on.

I spoke to a friend who mentioned that I may need a can-bus adapter hence why no power going to the head unit.

Can someone else please advise if they have come across this issue before/solutions?

Many thanks.

FreddyA4

You will either need to join the 2 power wires which look like wires 4/6 yellow & red to the single feed on the car loom, but this will only give you manual on/off or get a canbus adapter that will provide the ignition on signal via wire 6 red, when canbus signals.

Here's the manual, page 3:

Pioneer user manual

Here's one example of canbus adapter:

Car Audio Equipment | Buy online at Car Audio Security

Hi All,

I have an Audi A4 B7 2005, with a standard Audi Concert head unit part no (8E0035186D) Currently the system is half amplified (rear speakers and standard sub), please see attached photos.

View attachment 16928View attachment 16929

I've bought a Pioneer x9500BT, along with fascia adapter and harness for (half amplified) system. I have plugged everything in but the new head unit does not power on.

I spoke to a friend who mentioned that I may need a can-bus adapter hence why no power going to the head unit.

Can someone else please advise if they have come across this issue before/solutions?

Many thanks.

FreddyA4

I just fitted the same headunit into my wifes Audi A3 that had the same concert half amplified setup. I ran the yellow wire to a piggy back fuse holder into one of the free fuse slots in the car. This was what was missing for me when i first wired it up.

my next problem is that the rear speakers are not as loud as i think they should be. Even though im using the pc9 404 adapter with preouts.

I took your advice and joined the two wires yellow and red on the hardness adapter. As you mentioned it only gave me a manual on/off.

I followed the thread below to overcome the manual on/off issue by connecting a dual fuse adapter and using the exising fuse slot fot the wipers as this is connected to the ignition source.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...-aftermarket-stereo-fitting-new-addition.html

Connected the red wire to the ignition source and the yellow wire to the constant 12v supply terminal via the harness.

All working fine :) as soon as I turn the ignition off it kills power to the head unit and it remebers all my settings.

Thanks for your help.

Much appreciated.

I installed my head unit using pc9 401 adapter. The red ISO block is what will drive the power to your back speakers. Your head unit already has 3 x pre outs. If you connect the red ISO cable using the pc9 404 its not actually powering your rear speakers. The pre-outs on the back of the head unit are to go into an aftermarket amplifier.

I would suggest using the pc9 401 adapter as this looks correct, it will drive power from your head unit to the rear speakers and sub and is compatable with A3, however please check before buying. Got mine from halfords about £15.00

Play around with the settings on the head unit, Loudness, bass etc. The back speakers on mine are loud, great bass with the factory sub. This headunit is amazing.

PS you might also need an amplified radio adapter to get FM/AM. It makes a world of difference getting the amplified one.

Hope this helps.

Let me know how it goes.

FreddyA4

IMG 4242
New Head Unit Installed, with fascia adapter Autoleads FP-05-05

IMG 4233
Existing FM/AM aerial.

IMG 4237
New FM/AM aerial socket from back of HU.

CT27AA08
Amplified aerial adapter - will get part number soon. You will need to connect the blue wire to the remote wire on the back of the headunit. You will notice a huge difference with signal strength and sound quality.

Img3278s
Dual fuse adapter (picture sourced from: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...-aftermarket-stereo-fitting-new-addition.html)

+ additional wire to run cable from fuse box/adapter to the back of HU. + extra 20AMP fuse + connectors.

IMG 4230
Headunit harness adapter PC9-401

IMG 4228
Contents of new head unit box.

PS: IF YOU DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE CABLE FROM YOUR CAR BATTERY, YOU MAY FIND THAT YOUR REMOTE KEY FOB WILL NO LONGER WORK.

IF THIS IS THE CASE YOU WILL NEED TO RE PROGRAM YOUR KEY USING THE FOLLOWING GUIDE I FOUND ONLINE WHICH WORKS.

DIY: How to program your Audi flip key fob. IT DOES WORK YOU HAVE TO KEEP TRYING

Hope this helps

Last edited: