Replacing EGR cooler and pipe on 2.0 170ps- help!

ol' smokey

Reaction score
So my cooler pipe has blown off where it meets the engine, and the connector pipe has blown where it meets the egr cooler.

I've managed to remove the cooler and the old connector pipe, however can't get the new one in.

Do I have to remove the coolant gubbins mounted to the rear of the engine in order to fit the connector part, or is there a way to wiggle it through?

It an older style 2.0 TDI 170 in a b7 quattro avant.

Cheers

Jon

Pics to follow

How did you get on?
I was going to recommend removing the cooler and EGR, but as yours is a BRD then it's going to mess with your DPF.

I removed mine and gutted the dpf on my 170 brd best thing I ever did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Intrigued that you say not to remove the EGR cooler. I had been debating whethe to do this but cost of parts was significantly less than the remap required to delete the egr. Plus I am told it is now illegal to do this.

Interestingly though, I noted the gasket between the EGR valve and the conneting pipe had been replaced with a blanking plate- this tells me that the connecting pipe had been sheared for some time, and one of the owners had decided to blank it rather than do what I am doing and replace it all.

Managed to get a friend who is an auto engineer to take a look on the weekend, recomended that I didn't remove the 'gubbins' I was referring to in my OP as this was actually the fuel pump and would have messed with my valve timings!

He did recommend removing the diesel filter and section of coolant pipe that runs behind the block in order to allow fitting of the new connector pipe, having to do this piecemeal after work so have't actually had a chance to this fully. I have found though upon investigation that said coolant pipe is bolted to the block. If I remove it, by releasing this nut, what will happen? There is a long 10mm bolt on the other side that I have released, expecting that to release the entire pipe, but I was wrong. FYI arrow is pointing to bolt but incidentally also demarks the location of the egr cooler relative to it.

InkedIMG 20210622 202154 LI

Who said not to remove the cooler?
I've removed mine and all pipe work, the EGR valve and changed my manifold to a flapless one. All with no side effects at all.
Infact my emissions have improved.
It's a bit of a faff getting to one bolt holding the cooler on at the rear of the block, and then the coolant pipe needs to be joined together.
When doing so be careful not to dislodge the plastic U clip holding the thermostat in. I speak from experience.
There is no need to remove the fuel filter.
The EGR is replaced with an alloy delete tube, and the exhaust routing pipe into the turbo us blanked off.

I've removed mine and all pipe work, the EGR valve and changed my manifold to a flapless one. All with no side effects at all.
It's a bit of a faff getting to one bolt holding the cooler on at the rear of the block, and then the coolant pipe needs to be joined together.
When doing so be careful not to dislodge the plastic U clip holding the thermostat in. I speak from experience.
The EGR is replaced with an alloy delete tube, and the exhaust routing pipe into the turbo us blanked off.

I lost my u clip when doing mine. Luckily GSF had them in stock to collect for £1.47.

Have you done something to your DPF too or have you left it on, being lucky not to get any problems?

Think he's running a BRE so doesn't have a DPF?

I'm quite interested in getting rid of my EGR but bit of a mission to do so as will have to remove the DPF and then get it mapped out all at the same time

Anyone have a spare/scrap DPF about to cut open?

Reactions: Pie-eyedpiper
Think he's running a BRE so doesn't have a DPF?

I'm quite interested in getting rid of my EGR but bit of a mission to do so as will have to remove the DPF and then get it mapped out all at the same time

Anyone have a spare/scrap DPF about to cut open?
Ah ok, makes sense.

Yeah i've got the same thing when i eventually get round to that on my list of things i want to do ha.

Have you done something to your DPF too or have you left it on, being lucky not to get any problems?

Yes it's the beauty of running a BRE, much less to bother about.
And when remapped it's livlier than a stock BRD.
You of of course have the remapping to 220 option.

Reactions: Fully
Will be putting a bkd flapless manifold In classifieds soon .Replace the flapped manifold on your bre/brd’s

What model?

What have you done to your Audi A4 B7 today?

The guy who replied before my last post with the pic.

Managed to get it all switched over, had to remove the fuel filter and coolant manifold in order to wiggle the connector pipe in but got there in the end. I've not seen anyone explain how to do this job on my variant of engine so took some videos and pics if anyone is interested.

I think mpg is improved as is boost, winner.

I now have issues with coolant leakage but will post in another thread.

The guy who replied before my last post with the pic.

Managed to get it all switched over, had to remove the fuel filter and coolant manifold in order to wiggle the connector pipe in but got there in the end. I've not seen anyone explain how to do this job on my variant of engine so took some videos and pics if anyone is interested.

I think mpg is improved as is boost, winner.

I now have issues with coolant leakage but will post in another thread.

Ah, I see. That would be me then.
You've got the BRD? If so you have a DPF and this relies on the EGR valve to function properly. Removing it (and the cooler) could well cause you issues

It’s what I paid ..i never fitted it but I did clean it out

Sounds good, let me know the full cost and we can get it sorted.
Cheers

Sounds good, let me know the full cost and we can get it sorted.
Cheers

Polite request- could you take exchanges like this into your direct messages please? Saves us scrolling through your conversation.

Last edited:
Polite request- could you take exchanges like this into your direct messages please? Saves us scrolling through your conversation.

I would have but can’t instigate a DM.