Replacing fuel pump on 1.8T

Beef

Reaction score
Website
www.industrialaction.com
Hi,

Has anybbody had to replace the fuel pump on their 1.8T petrol?

Mine failed yesterday. I've located it under the rear passenger seat and ordered a replacement, but wondered how you remove it. I've taken the wiring, hose, and circular fixing off allowing me to remove th ewhite plastic lid and look down into the fuel tank. Does the pump in its white case just pull out now?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Beef

With the help of my new Harry Haynes manual I'll answer my own question for the benefit of any future readers:

The fuel pump is a pig to remove. The replacement pump from Audi (£160) is in a two part circular case. Try as I might I could not remove the duff pump and two part case so settled for removing the top part (which is held by 4 plastic tabs) and then extracted the pump.

I slotted the new pump down matching up the 3 rubber mounts and grooves on the case and then fixed the new top ring back on. Reconnected the wiring and replaced the rubber seal before repcaing the lid. There is then a metal ring which slides into place (with a bit of hammer encouragement) and finally connected the fuel hose and electrical connector. I also got a blanking cap from Audi to cover the spare hose port on the new pump.

Finally, I primed the fuel lines by bleeding the fuel bar in the engine. This is like a tyre valve to remove trapped air.

She ran rough at first and then settled down. Sadly I noted that the car has two fuel pumps....I do hope the other doen't go as well, but aparently I've been unlucky.

Still it gave me a chance to take my old Mustang for a run to Harrogate Audi, so some good has come of it.:yes: