Replacing the factory radio with a touch screen

georgekechio

Reaction score
Hello. I want to replace the factory radio (see picture below) with a touch screen. I'm not sure whether I can attach a touch screen to the preexisting radio (which also includes a cd player in the glove box, which I want to remove to make space) or I should remove the whole audio system. Anyone has a clue? The details of my a3 v8 TDI are:
14/10/2015
Audi Limousine (sedan) 8V LCXXBF1
FM62S027P8V117MMEM1
WAUZZZ8V7G1033998
Maxresdefault

Never seen one of those in the flesh before ! I think you will need a new MIB too I've attached an SSP that goes through all the options . You may need additional wiring too antennas etc as you have the most basic radio system....

Attachments

• SSP-994618AG-Audi-Modular-Infotainment-System-MIB.pdf
    5.8 MB · Views: 243
Last edited:
No factory touch screen options available for the 8V so you would need to look after market. If you were looking to retrofit an OEM non-touch screen solution then you would need to change all your existing components as your current radio system is not compatible with any MIB1 or 2 Standard unit, controls or screens.

Reactions: Jassyo06
No factory touch screen options available for the 8V so you would need to look after market. If you were looking to retrofit an OEM non-touch screen solution then you would need to change all your existing components as your current radio system is not compatible with any MIB1 or 2 Standard unit, controls or screens.
Hello. You mean for this 8V that has the radio system preinstalled or any 8V? Because I've seen many touch screens for 8V being sold on ebay.

Something like the one in the picture won't match?

Also what brand is that radio? Just a OEM Audi? Not made by Alpine?

Attachments

• Alpine-AudiA3.jpg
    Alpine-AudiA3.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 184
Hello. You mean for this 8V that has the radio system preinstalled or any 8V? Because I've seen many touch screens for 8V being sold on ebay.
As I have said there are no factory touch screens available for the 8V, your only option is 3rd party / after market.

The screen you have attached in your photo is not a touch screen.

As I have said there are no factory touch screens available for the 8V, your only option is 3rd party / after market.

The screen you have attached in your photo is not a touch screen.
I got what you mean now. Those screens like the one in the picture are controlled through buttons next to the gear?

One more question. So, I can just replace the top part of my audio system with a 3rd party/ after market touch screen or display screen without needing to replaces the whole thing? Something like this will do its job without affecting the sound quality? https://www.aliexpress.com/i/33025989429.html

I got what you mean now. Those screens like the one in the picture are controlled through buttons next to the gear?

One more question. So, I can just replace the top part of my audio system with a 3rd party/ after market touch screen or display screen without needing to replaces the whole thing? Something like this will do its job without affecting the sound quality? https://www.aliexpress.com/i/33025989429.html
We don’t see the MIB Basic radio in the uk so I am not 100% sure how the system is built. I am assuming that what’s in your dash is the complete unit however do you have a CD player in your glovebox?

We don’t see the MIB Basic radio in the uk so I am not 100% sure how the system is built. I am assuming that what’s in your dash is the complete unit however do you have a CD player in your glovebox?
If it's the complete unite I can replace the top with a display? I think I need to visit the local Audi Service of my town. By the way, I'm in Greece.

Yes, it has the CD player in the glove box but again I think it's the very basic version. Don't see a mircoSD or SD or USB port.

Also, it doesn't have the the back parking camera either. I think the version of this car is the most basic you can buy.

I'm thinking of taking the car to Turkey and install there all those things. A display screen (preferably a touchscreen), back and frond cameras, add next to the AUX port a fast charging USB port, maybe upgrade the factory speakers too with something more premium even though they are pretty descent for OEM's. The other option is to order everything on my own and pay someone here to install them which might cost a lot of money. Basically from what I understood they have to take a lot of parts of the car apart. And there is always the danger that i'll order the wrong part which won't match. Or that only the official service can install them. No clue...

I think the one in the picture is mine.

Attachments

• mui.png
    mui.png
    30 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
If it's the complete unite I can replace the top with a display? I think I need to visit the local Audi Service of my town. By the way, I'm in Greece.

Yes, it has the CD player in the glove box but again I think it's the very basic version. Don't see a mircoSD or SD or USB port.

Also, it doesn't have the the back parking camera either. I think the version of this car is the most basic you can buy.

I'm thinking of taking the car to Turkey and install there all those things. A display screen (preferably a touchscreen), back and frond cameras, add next to the AUX port a fast charging USB port, maybe upgrade the factory speakers too with something more premium even though they are pretty descent for OEM's. The other option is to order everything on my own and pay someone here to install them which might cost a lot of money. Basically from what I understood they have to take a lot of parts of the car apart. And there is always the danger that i'll order the wrong part which won't match. Or that only the official service can install them. No clue...

I think the one in the picture is mine.
Send me your vin number please, via private message, I can see which system you have then.

I work in Greece also, but will not be visiting until we are allowed to travel again. Athens, Lamia and Kavala.

Send me your vin number please, via private message, I can see which system you have then.

I work in Greece also, but will not be visiting until we are allowed to travel again. Athens, Lamia and Kavala.
I can't find how to send a private message on this forum. But I already posted the car's info on the initial post.

I can't find how to send a private message on this forum. But I already posted the car's info on the initial post.
ok, I had the number. I would suggest that you edit your post to remove the number.

ok so what you have here is what's called an MIB Entry System which is made up of the glovebox control until and then the dash mounted screen and controls. You would need to upgrade all the parts involved in order to have a working MIB Standard, HS or High system, example:
  1. MIB2 HS Glovebox control unit
  2. MIB2 7" Screen and connecting cables
  3. MIB2 centre console controls and connecting cables
  4. USB Ports and Cables
  5. Replacement Armrest Storage Compartment
Your current system does not have a video output so a screen cannot be connected to it. You also have an issue in that the centre console control cabling will not be in place and will be hard to find given that its normally part of a larger wiring loom.

What might be possible and more cost effective might be a 3rd party solution from eBay our AliExpress, something that connects to your existing media unit and then replaces your display however most of the systems I have seen are not going to work with your current system.

MIB Entry:

S l1600 3S l1600 2

ok so what you have here is what's called an MIB Entry System which is made up of the glovebox control until and then the dash mounted screen and controls. You would need to upgrade all the parts involved in order to have a working MIB Standard, HS or High system, example:
  1. MIB2 HS Glovebox control unit
  2. MIB2 7" Screen and connecting cables
  3. MIB2 centre console controls and connecting cables
  4. USB Ports and Cables
  5. Replacement Armrest Storage Compartment
Your current system does not have a video output so a screen cannot be connected to it. You also have an issue in that the centre console control cabling will not be in place and will be hard to find given that its normally part of a larger wiring loom.

What might be possible and more cost effective might be a 3rd party solution from eBay our AliExpress, something that connects to your existing media unit and then replaces your display however most of the systems I have seen are not going to work with your current system.

MIB Entry:

View attachment 235395View attachment 235396

The option to edit my first post isn't visible anymore. Please send me a private message so I can delete this thread.

As far as the system. Could I just replace the glove box entry level cd player with MIB2 HS Glovebox control unit and use a third party touch screen display? Is the control unit necessary if the touch screen will have a more current bluetooth adapter (for playing songs from my phone), has GPS, and possibly be able to work third party video parking system? The only way is to either have an OEM display (touch screen or not) or a third party display that are compatible with the glove box control unit? For the technologies that I listed, such as:
-Apple/android carplay (or a more simple and generic way to share music from my phone)
-Answering phonecalls
-GPS navigation
-Frond and back video parking camera
-SD or USB (not a necessity)

The option to edit my first post isn't visible anymore. Please send me a private message so I can delete this thread.

As far as the system. Could I just replace the glove box entry level cd player with MIB2 HS Glovebox control unit and use a third party touch screen display? Is the control unit necessary if the touch screen will have a more current bluetooth adapter (for playing songs from my phone), has GPS, and possibly be able to work third party video parking system? The only way is to either have an OEM display (touch screen or not) or a third party display that are compatible with the glove box control unit? For the technologies that I listed, such as:
-Apple/android carplay (or a more simple and generic way to share music from my phone)
-Answering phonecalls
-GPS navigation
-Frond and back video parking camera
-SD or USB (not a necessity)
That would be something you would need to test.