Resale prices with options

lee s3

top gear
Reaction score
Hi guys
If you had two almost identical spec cars, same mileage and maintenance etc but one had super sport seats and b&o and one didn’t, how much extra would you pay for the upgrades on a used 8v?

£800 max but again everybody's priorities are different when buying a car

£800 max but again everybody's priorities are different when buying a car
I could live without the super Sports and b&o, was just thinking about resale and being more desirable. I suppose if the car is well looked after and maintained there will always be a buyer about.

I would say virtual cockpit and b&o is the most desirable options and will fetch a premium.
on the facelifts the b&o was part of the black edition and again the BE will fetch a premium over a non BE.

If looking for a PFL then no VC options but in my opinion the B and O is a must as is not only has a better sound (Obviously) but makes the interior look so much better, only the grilles I admit are different visually but with standard door cards the car feels so much more budget - plus very hard and expensive to retrofit. the lighting also looks alot better at night. Small things but goes along way with the feel of the car for ownership and re sale. The seats are also very nice to see in SS guise but I sacrificed these for all the other spec, I did want them but personally I didnt find any benefit other than appearance I didnt miss them on my S3 and once my Fat ar$e was on the seats I couldnt see them anyway. bear in mind the SS seats share the same bases as standard leather seats the the backs are only the same as the old S4 / S5 seats to be fair but with fancy stitching and a huge premium.

I think the B and O is worth a small premium, but the tech pack is crucial if it has it. i.e bigger screen, auto dim, auto fold and LED light pack, Also remember these cars only had rear air bags and pre sense as an option, as I have kids I waited for these to be available too.

Considering the seats sell for around £1000-1500 separately and the BO is an expensive retrofit, its more about how important you deem them to be to put a value on.

For me the most important options on a PFL are the Tech pack and BO (driving around in a nice car with the Commodore 64 style graphics on the small screen sat nav is heart breaking, and the standard sound system is appalling). On a personal note, ACC was a must have for me. So I was prepared to pay over 'book' value to get a car with these options.

Reactions: NevMan
I’m going to hopefully get one tomorrow, only a 4 hour drive but should be worth it. Optional extras in the pic

Attachments

• 939F7ABD-184F-4BE4-9D94-A58CE22C4A28.png
    939F7ABD-184F-4BE4-9D94-A58CE22C4A28.png
    178.9 KB · Views: 90
Reactions: DescendDescend and NevMan
I’m going to hopefully get one tomorrow, only a 4 hour drive but should be worth it. Optional extras in the pic

You got the majority of the important options there, the seats you can retrofit yourself pretty easily if you really want them, sounds spot on!

Reactions: lee s3
Ultimately it’s a case of what options are of greatest value to you as the customer. The spec in your pic is decent.

On PFL I wouldn’t expect most individual options including super sports seats to make much of a difference on price as age, mileage, service history & condition would be main cost drivers. It’s more about groups of options.

The largest impact on price are likely to be B&O/tech pack, pano roof and ACC.

LED headlights on PFL are decent but a bit overrated - Adaptive Xenons just as good. Headlight tech has evolved hugely over the last 5 years, as has MMI tech but comparing PFL and FL is a totally different discussion.

If going for a diesel, do check EURO emissions class as that changed during PFL lifecycle for some engines.

Last edited:
Reactions: lee s3 and NevMan
Ultimately it’s a case of what options are of greatest value to you as the customer. The spec in your pic is decent.

On PFL I wouldn’t expect most individual options including super sports seats to make much of a difference on price as age, mileage, service history & condition would be main cost drivers. It’s more about groups of options.

The largest impact on price are likely to be B&O/tech pack, pano roof and ACC.

LED headlights on PFL are decent but a bit overrated - Adaptive Xenons just as good. Headlight tech has evolved hugely over the last 5 years, as has MMI tech but comparing PFL and FL is a totally different discussion.

If going for a diesel, do check EURO emissions class as that changed during PFL lifecycle for some engines.
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.
I’m on a train on route to pick it up now, fingers crossed it’s all ok

Reactions: NevMan
How did you get on @lee s3 ?
Hi, all good thank you. Slight problem on the way home which I didn’t pick up on the test drive though.

Has recently had all new tyres, done about 500 miles. Contisport5. It is getting a loud humming noise from the front left, only notice between 60-70. It’s not a consistent hum but with a gap, imagine in the beat of windscreen wipers. Like a wollowing noise. Faulty tyre is my thinking but could it be wheel bearing!? Passed mot this month and done 200 miles since so thought a wheel bearing would flag up?
Apart from that all seems good. I’ll give it a clean and post some pics tomorrow, here is one from the advert.

Attachments

• 882847B3-65FA-48C2-9D16-6A214565063D.jpeg
    882847B3-65FA-48C2-9D16-6A214565063D.jpeg
    760.5 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Reactions: AlS3BE, JohnM100 and NevMan