Reserve parking sensors, no sound but options in mmi.

Beno148

Reaction score
Hi all,

Slowly completing updates to my new a6 avant to get it to its former glory lol!

Fixed the glovebox with help from here
Removed rear passenger vent and found the control that was pushed in lol!
Air filter and cabin filter changed (cabin filter wasn’t fun with ‘Man hands’
In process of updating mmi.

Next I want to figure out 5e parking sensors, back bumper has the marks on that would make me think it has sensors, the mmi lets me selected volume, pitch, radio fader.

I get a long beep when put it in reverse but nothing when close to an object, with the options being on mmi it’s a safe bet it has sensors or that standard on mmi? What do I need to be looking at to know if I have them and what troubleshoot steps should I take first?

Thank you

Ben

With options available on MMI Ben, I think you may have a faulty parking aid module.
If you say, you do have sensors in the rear bumper, you can adjust the buzzer settings through MMI but still nothing when you reverse onto an object, is odd.

Do you have a parking aid displayed on the screen, whenever reverse gear is selected?

I would scan the car for errors and look out for any codes pointing to parking aid.

How's front behaving? Any problems there or is it only rear parking aid system?

Read few times here that, easiest way to tell if your parking sensors do work is to have someone get the reverse gear in and you listen to each and every one of the sensors. Just put your ear close to it and it should "tick" when parking aid is active.
If you get at least a single tick from either of sensors, they should be ok but problem might be deeper. If nothing from all sensors, problem IS deeper.

All that is, if you do have parking aid on the car.

Sent from H P20 PRO

Reactions: Beno148
Put it in reverse and put your ear to each sensor. You should be able to hear them clicking.

Most likely you have one or more dead sensors rather than the module

He’ll only get the parking aid on the screen if it’s activated I believe.

I currently have a faulty rear sensor, when I stick it in reverse the light on the parking sensor switch flashes. Sometimes I get the long beep and sometimes I don't.

I scanned mine with carista to identify the culprit I'm yet to fix it though. I think mine is a loose connection because since the weather has started to pick up it's started working intermittently

Thanks for the replys, wanted to spend today having a good look but lovely intermittent rain lol!

Got someone to check for buzzing when put in reverse. So far left one doesnt make a noise, the over 3 do.

So guessing thats the culprit? Can you bypass that one or do i have to replace it?

Also i dont have the parking add screen om mmi (read you have to have it activated it not if you want it)

Also have no parking assist button on dash.

And finally no clue if i have the sensors on the front? What would they look like (excuse my noobness lol) theres 3 rectangles on the front image one is covering a tow loop.

So potentially answered one of my own questions. Removed the sensors and although still buzzing, the other parking sensors do not creating any beeping.

So guessing that means need to replace the sensor wi5 anworking one?

Thank you

Reactions: KrisKrk
I cannot remember if you get the button with rear sensors only, it may you only get the button if you front & rear. Sensors in the front look very similar to the rear

Also are you 100% sure the parking sensors are factory fit, it could be an aftermarket kit that is fitted.

What MMi system do you have red or colour screen.

I cannot remember if you get the button with rear sensors only, it may you only get the button if you front & rear. Sensors in the front look very similar to the rear

Also are you 100% sure the parking sensors are factory fit, it could be an aftermarket kit that is fitted.

What MMi system do you have red or colour screen.

I have mmi 3g basic. I have the sensor out they are audi ones.

Just want to make sure before i get a new one, that no more troubleshooting i can do so i dont end up replacing it and still something else causing an issue lol!

Also i can see oem ones on ebay, any one replaced with these and had any issues?

Thank you

Ben

I have rear only and there is no button to disable the sensors.

Still does not mean they are not retrofitted, Audi produced a parking senor retrofit kit for their cars and they look the same as factory fit.

The rear sensors were standard on Lemans models, for the sline or SE models it was a £300 option. You will know if it's a retrofit kit as there is no diagnostic interface to the module, and you cannot code the sensors to appear on the MMI screen. However you can only tell by either completing a diagnostic scan or looking at the option code for your car, it's in the service book with option code 7X1.

Still does not mean they are not retrofitted, Audi produced a parking senor retrofit kit for their cars and they look the same as factory fit.

The rear sensors were standard on Lemans models, for the sline or SE models it was a £300 option. You will know if it's a retrofit kit as there is no diagnostic interface to the module, and you cannot code the sensors to appear on the MMI screen. However you can only tell by either completing a diagnostic scan or looking at the option code for your car, it's in the service book with option code 7X1.

Can’t find the service book, so the display will have to be left for now. All the options for pitch and volume, fader is in mmi assuming that cant be added in for retrofits.

Has any one used the OEM sensors off eBay? They Match to the part number, guessing they work just as well but not for as long I’m guessing?

Thank you

I have front and rear sensors and the dash button enables the park assist system without having to engage reverse, so if approaching an obstruction forwards, I can activate the system and be warned of closing distance.
Over the years I have had to have 2 different sensors replaced by a local firm, although they did use Audi supplied items.

The long beep when engaging reverse is the warning that the system is not working porperly.

marsmail

Reactions: abmat
Sorry for the delay first chance I’ve had to to reply properly. For anyone following or who finds this in the future I purchased a oem sensore of eBay using part number, cost me £11 and plugged in and I now have sensors working.

Guns attempt to spray it myself so will see how that goes lol!

Now I want to try and see if I can enable the graphic display, other than trying with vcds is there any other way to check if I can. Looking in google suggests checked a parking module but not sure where to find that to have a look?

Ben

Last edited: