Respraying Engine Cover?

BradA3G

A4 Avant S-Line
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

just after a bit of advice...

I want to respray the engine cover Black, it was Red Before and I done a pretty shoddy job if it before so I have tried to take as much spray paint off as i can...

now I'm stuck, I'm not really that good with spraying or painting and I dont know if i need to prime it or not?

does the rest of the paint need coming off or can it be sprayed over, or use primer?

DSC 00361

I would have thought a couple good coats of plastidip would be fine for that. Not sure about its heat resistance though being on top of engine.

Strip all the paint off - use a little bit of nitromors maybe to help? Ensure that it's completely clear or any oil residue etc. give it a really good clean.

Then use primer and paint over that. Apply in thin even layers giving it a little time to dry between layers.

I did this with all the engine plastics on a Mazda RX8 and they looked brilliant afterwards!

Plasti dip will be fine there.
my dip stick and caps all lasted over a year without any issues.

Soda blasting?
should not damage the plastic but would remove the paint.

surely nitromors would eat away at that plastic?!

When I used nitromors it took the paint off then I washed it all down.. But I guess if you left it on it probably would to be fair!

You need:
White Spirit
Cloth
Black high temp gloss paint (can)
High temp lacquer (can)

Use white spirit and cloth to remove what excess you can. As you are going black no realy need us use a primer (in my opinion) then just apply a very light coat (almost a grey coat) then wait till it drys. Then set it up against a wall, hold the can about 30cm away and apply coast gradually keeping an even spray distance whilst you do it. Take your time, apply a good 3-5 coats (depending whats needed) and then once that's dry, apply 2 coats of the lacquer in the same way. this will seal it and make it look fresher for longer. Plus easier to clean and wont flake off with dirt / heat / weather etc..

Main thing about rattle cans is to take your time and not rush it, small light coats keeping an even distance away and it will build the layers up great. (In my build thread, in my sig, you can see me doing this to my old brake calipers - you'll see a great finish if done properly)

Hope that helps!

Reactions: crazyjay91
You need:
White Spirit
Cloth
Black high temp gloss paint (can)
High temp lacquer (can)

Use white spirit and cloth to remove what excess you can. As you are going black no realy need us use a primer (in my opinion) then just apply a very light coat (almost a grey coat) then wait till it drys. Then set it up against a wall, hold the can about 30cm away and apply coast gradually keeping an even spray distance whilst you do it. Take your time, apply a good 3-5 coats (depending whats needed) and then once that's dry, apply 2 coats of the lacquer in the same way. this will seal it and make it look fresher for longer. Plus easier to clean and wont flake off with dirt / heat / weather etc..

Main thing about rattle cans is to take your time and not rush it, small light coats keeping an even distance away and it will build the layers up great. (In my build thread, in my sig, you can see me doing this to my old brake calipers - you'll see a great finish if done properly)

Hope that helps!

Seems a safer option lol but I'd recommend using primer as I've seen paint flake off of non-primered plastics many of times. Seems good advice though TDI_TIM

Doesn't need to be high temp paint as normal will be ok , the high temp stuff is for calipers and backing plates etc

Chuck it in the bin and get one off ebay, after you have got the paint and stripping chemicals + all the time spent, its just not going to be worth it. Your not get to get a nice OEM finish your better off with a used one for £40. (Add has nothing to do with me, just one I found) Audi A3 8P 1.6 Fsi engine cover | eBay

TDI TIM seems to give good info, On another note....
Can use a scotch pad and key the surface, this will also remove a bit more paint...
If you find yourself some plastic primer, and some black paint... You shouldn't need to clear coat it unless you want gloss.
IMO gloss wouldn't look to good. Can get some satin or matt black plasti-kote usually quite cheap and that's great stuff.

Reactions: TDI_TIM