Retro Fit Dab Install

rich dj

2015 A4 Avant 2.0TDI SE Quattro 190 Technik
Reaction score
A quick picture step by step Dab install.
I purchased a second hand Dab module from ebay and all connection leads purchased separately I bought the type you splice into the existing loom as my budget was tight (family etc) but you can buy a pre made link lead which I would advise if your not good with a soldering iron (please don't use skotch lock as they will fail).
IMG 8532

so you will also need a Dab Aerial amp and aerial lead ( a big thank you to B5NUT for that as he was upgrading )
So I spliced into the wiring loom ( I couldn't find any info on the net on which wire to connect it too so see pics) and put the optical cable inline (plug and play on the other lead type)
IMG 8595
IMG 8598
IMG 8611
IMG 8612

Then you need to fit the dab unit to the cage

IMG 8616

IMG 8613

and then the Dab Aerial amp found on the drivers side rear quarter window and solder the wire to the lower of the three terminals for Dab (I am very experienced with a soldering iron 25 years on circuit boards and I had difficulty so much that I ended up using conductive paint in many layers )

IMG 8617
IMG 8624

Then fire it up

Dab

You don't need to update the car with vag-com but apparently it may show up as a fault code until cleared.
I have since purchased some proper wrap tape :)
Happy listening.

Reactions: adcooper
Nice writeup, Digital radio should be enabled on the can-gateway and then the fault code can be cleared, but it will still work fine without the coding.

Last edited:
Thanks again for the help B5NUT. Really must get a Vag-com as there are a few tweaks I would like to do. Its on the list with Audi bluetooth and video and audio inputs for the apple tv install again :)

Nice work mate really want DAB in mine, how much did it cost in the end?

I think the Dab unit from eBay was about £100 and then the aerial amp and aerial cable I can't remember and £25 for the power and optical lead from eBay.

Could you give me a part number for the box and possibly links to what else you need cheers

Other than the Dab unit as above what else will I need to get ie wiring amp etc?

Many Thanks Adam

Right got the DAB module, plug and play wiring "no instructions thou" just waiting for the aerial booster and wiring.

Few questions

1) which wires do I interrupt to fit the dab?

2) what's the best route to get the aerial wire to the back drivers window?

3) trim removal any pointers?

4) just confirm which point on the window to soilder the aerial to?

Many Thanks Adam

Sorry for the delay been a bit rough.
1. I unplugged the DVD nav if I remember correctly.
2 trying to remember now. B5NUT would prob tell you. :)
2. Trim is fairly easy apart from where the dab aerial goes you have to take a lot off just to remove that panel (on my case)
4. The lowest solder point on 3rd picture up of drivers window. (UK)
Hope this helps.

Sorry for the delay been a bit rough.
1. I unplugged the DVD nav if I remember correctly.
2 trying to remember now. B5NUT would prob tell you. :)
2. Trim is fairly easy apart from where the dab aerial goes you have to take a lot off just to remove that panel (on my case)
4. The lowest solder point on 3rd picture up of drivers window. (UK)
Hope this helps.

Cheers both just awaiting the aeriel bits from kufatec and cd thing, fingers crossed for the weekend :)

Hi there could someone please point me in the right direction of how to install this dab retrofit to my a6 4f avant which I believe already has the dab antenna built in quater panel rear window. The guy I bought from on ebay says this is all the wires I need but confused with it all.
DSC 0049