Retro fitting auto-leveling xenon headlights on b6 a4??

Super Ron

Reaction score
I have a 2002 b6 3.0 quattro avant se i needed an engine for, i ended up buying a whole other car as donor as engines were silly money. I picked up a 2001 b6 3.0 quattro sport saloon. Engine removed and swapped no problems, but the donor saloon has got xenon headlights and my avant just has the standard halogen. So wanted to know how much work was involved fitting the whole system? Ive read on just wiring them up with the manual adjusters but i would like to do the whole system if possible. I found a thread on fitting the washer jets and its just a case of fitting the components and running the feed to the pump back to the central control i think it was. But cannot find a thing on the levelers. Like i said i have a complete donor, so price of parts isnt important, but cant find any threads or even wiring diagrams on the autoleveling system??

Thanks.

If you transfer the leveling system (swing arm sensor) and all the related harness that plugs into car, then adjust settings in the ECU to state you have xenon's so they can be controlled appropriately...........i don't see a problem

I don't thing it will be easy, but doable

Glad to hear it is do-able. Has anyone got wiring diagrams for the leveling system as i think these will be a big help and the haynes doesnt show sod all. Ive found the two leveling morors on the suspension, does anyone know whete the control unit is?

You'll need elsawin to do your wiring, you cant wire up xenons to manual adjusters & as already said, transfer parts across & run wiring in.

Forget using the original looms, they're wound inside the rest of the cars loom, would take u ages to seperate, but feel free :)

Ahh thats what i wanted to know. So next queston is can anyone point me to the wiring diagram for the system so i can make up my own loom? Also where is the control unit on the a4?

Already advised, you need elsawin, you could buy from kuftec but I dont use them for a reason, many do though.

If i have to buy anything then i wont bother fitting them, was only concidering it due to having a full donor. Making a new loom isnt a problem for me at all for me, but without any wiring diagrams its just a guessing game....

Ok so a different question, done anyone have a link to the wiring diagrams for the full b6 a4? Like they had in the haynes manual in the 'good ol days?'

Ronnie do you even bother to ask or search what elsawin is, please do just that & you will become enlightened.

You'll need elsawin to do your wiring, you cant wire up xenons to manual adjusters & as already said, transfer parts across & run wiring in.

Ahhhhh i understand now :readit: i read elsawin as a username, meaning i need 'him' to do the job for me. Like your name in the first replys. School boy error.

Thanks for your help :)

Can anyone with elsawin possibly copy up or send me the diagrams for the auto leveling? I've managed to get Bently and an older autodata but they dont have auto leveling or xenon diagrams :(

Vehicle wiring is not my strong point.....

Does "Control Unit For Headlight Range Control, Vehicle Inclination Sender" mean anything?

Or "Vehicle Level Sender"?

I'm not sure what the audi boffs would call it as they do have some wierd and wonderfull names for components. Does sould plausable though. It seems like the system has one sensor on the front and rear suspension., a control box in the car, and links to the headlights obviously

Elsawins less than a fiver on ebay - can I tempt you??

I have found the diagrams, but the only way to share them is screenshots, and I can't get all of it on at once.

I can try if you like?

Yea if you could try and see what it captures that would be handy so at least i can have a bit of an idea.

I may well invest in it as no doubt i'll need it again, but at the mo i relly need to get this done asap while the cars apart. On the subject of that ive seen them on ebay for between a fiver and 50quid and everything inbetween?? Whays the difference?

Here you go, hopefully you can merge them together.

levelling1.jpg

levelling2.jpg

There's are the before and after diagrams for that J431 module

levelling3jpg.jpg

levelling4.jpg

And After;

levelling5.jpg

levelling6.jpg

ive got a complete loom that has xenon wiring in it. iam going to pull all the xenon wiring and it into the new loom i have for my car.