Retrofit A3 (8Y) with Audi Sound System

vakula

Reaction score
Hello friends! I've ordered A3 (8Y) Sportback and awaiting the car in Oct 2022. Unfortunately I had to choose from what was already preconfigured by the dealer and the car will be equipped with a basic sound 6 speakers. I listened in the show car and cried :sadlike: - very weak, mid and high is ok, but almost no bass.

Does anyone have experience how to upgrade the basic sound system 6 speakers (8LR) to a more advanced Audi Sound System (9VD) with 8 speakers + subwoofer?

I know that in the previous A3 (8V) generation it was possible by adding subwoofer, improved speakers and wires for connection + coding.

But what about the new generation 8Y? Does anyone know the part numbers, how to install and code it?

Thanks for any hints:icon thumright:

If someone is interested, there is guys KUFATEC that seems like able to deal with such retrofits. Myself I give up with this retrofit and just managed to changed the configuration of the car by adding Audi Sound System.

If someone is interested, there is guys KUFATEC that seems like able to deal with such retrofits. Myself I give up with this retrofit and just managed to changed the configuration of the car by adding Audi Sound System.
Thanks for the update! Are you happy with the Audi Sound System? I'm generally known as an audiophile, yet for some reason I do not like listening to music while driving. Hence, I couldn't justify spending the extra $$$ on B&O and opted for the Audi Sound System instead. My car is still some time away from production, so it would be nice to hear from owners who have already tested this system out.

Thanks for the update! Are you happy with the Audi Sound System? I'm generally known as an audiophile, yet for some reason I do not like listening to music while driving. Hence, I couldn't justify spending the extra $$$ on B&O and opted for the Audi Sound System instead. My car is still some time away from production, so it would be nice to hear from owners who have already tested this system out.
Audi Sound System is terrible! It is worse than a basic audio system in A3 8P from 2003year :( I wouldn't invest any money into it. I cry everyday that i didn't invest into B&O

Audi Sound System is terrible! It is worse than a basic audio system in A3 8P from 2003year :( I wouldn't invest any money into it. I cry everyday that i didn't invest into B&O
That's pretty discouraging... Is there something in particular you don't like? Bass, treble or just your overall feeling? What kind of musical genres do you play most often?

That's pretty discouraging... Is there something in particular you don't like? Bass, treble or just your overall feeling? What kind of musical genres do you play most often?
its super quiet compared to all other sound systems i've had before (and believe me i had a lot of cars) - bass is almost non-existing. When i drive alone 90% of the time i listen to 100% volume. I listen to everything, rock/pop/hip hop/house.

I waiting my car to arrive in May and will tell you a feedback about the sound quality.

its super quiet compared to all other sound systems i've had before (and believe me i had a lot of cars) - bass is almost non-existing. When i drive alone 90% of the time i listen to 100% volume. I listen to everything, rock/pop/hip hop/house.
@Kazigg, have you considered to upgrade it? Like replacing of subwoofer with aftermarket solution to enhance the bass at least.

Having the B&O in the A3 8Y, which sounded terrible in the first 25-50 hours. Maybe like the Audi Sound System (isn't this 9 speakers (inc 1 center dash) + 1 sub + amp?), it takes several tens of hours for it to settle and bed in. In the bedding in phase, I was thinking to myself, I have been cheated with the B&O, there was absolutely no Bass at all, despite which level I put the bass on didn't help things that the sub is not visible. Maybe it as a safety feature in the first 20plus hrs or so. About 2 weeks later or so the bass just woke up. Now I have the converse problem, even with bass and sub no more than +3, it pushes out enough air to make something in the boot area rattle (at least I now can confirm there is def a sub there). Turns out this is the sub air exhaust valve trim. At the software update they (Audi) tried to tighten this trim, and for now, it's fine. I know some don't rate the B&O as all that, however had a courtesy A5 with standard 8 speaker setup. Moving from the A3 B&O direct to the A5 courteesy car for a week with the same music usb, right away you can hear how poor the A5 was, so actually I couldn't wait to get back to the A3 music wise. Yes it's not comparing like or like, but surely A5 stock system should be decent no?
Anyway I think the main problem with A3 and whatever sound system is that the A3 isn't very quiet when moving. Yes sometimes I sit in my stationary car to listen to music, once it's moving, the sound quality gets drowned out by road noise etc...
Perhaps the only way is to add sound insulation to the boot, and the door trims inside.

Many years ago, I had a Seat Leon. There were some rattles in the front door trim. The dealer sorted it by taking the door apart, applied exapanding insulation foam or something like that...and the rattles were gone. Also the music sounded better too!

Reactions: vakula
Having the B&O in the A3 8Y, which sounded terrible in the first 25-50 hours. Maybe like the Audi Sound System (isn't this 9 speakers (inc 1 center dash) + 1 sub + amp?), it takes several tens of hours for it to settle and bed in. In the bedding in phase, I was thinking to myself, I have been cheated with the B&O, there was absolutely no Bass at all, despite which level I put the bass on didn't help things that the sub is not visible. Maybe it as a safety feature in the first 20plus hrs or so. About 2 weeks later or so the bass just woke up. Now I have the converse problem, even with bass and sub no more than +3, it pushes out enough air to make something in the boot area rattle (at least I now can confirm there is def a sub there). Turns out this is the sub air exhaust valve trim. At the software update they (Audi) tried to tighten this trim, and for now, it's fine. I know some don't rate the B&O as all that, however had a courtesy A5 with standard 8 speaker setup. Moving from the A3 B&O direct to the A5 courteesy car for a week with the same music usb, right away you can hear how poor the A5 was, so actually I couldn't wait to get back to the A3 music wise. Yes it's not comparing like or like, but surely A5 stock system should be decent no?
Anyway I think the main problem with A3 and whatever sound system is that the A3 isn't very quiet when moving. Yes sometimes I sit in my stationary car to listen to music, once it's moving, the sound quality gets drowned out by road noise etc...
Perhaps the only way is to add sound insulation to the boot, and the door trims inside.

Many years ago, I had a Seat Leon. There were some rattles in the front door trim. The dealer sorted it by taking the door apart, applied exapanding insulation foam or something like that...and the rattles were gone. Also the music sounded better too!
Thanks for sharing your experience

Well, that's a bummer if I've ever seen one. Then again, I didn't get practically any bass in my older Lexus GS with the Mark Levinson 18 speaker system, so I guess it should be expected here. Did you find a sweet spot setting for the bass, treble and other characteristics in order to get the maximum out of the system?

Interesting observation about the noise. Just wanted to clarify, is your experience with the hatch or the saloon?

Interesting observation about the noise. Just wanted to clarify, is your experience with the hatch or the saloon?
I've got the hatch. Even at 20mph UK roads, it drowns out some of the music. The A5 courtesy car is noticeably quieter. However the A3 isn't any quieter or louder than my previous car which was a Volvo V40. Mainly the noise is from road noise, and I've got 17in tyres, those with 18 and 19 it would be even worse!

However I do think its more with the road surface, sometimes on 50-60mph road with smooth tarmac, it's quite quiet, but 30mph noisy tarmac can be way louder.

Last edited:
Reactions: vatdim
I've got the hatch. Even at 20mph UK roads, it drowns out some of the music. The A5 courtesy car is noticeably quieter. However the A3 isn't any quieter or louder than my previous car which was a Volvo V40. Mainly the noise is from road noise, and I've got 17in tyres, those with 18 and 19 it would be even worse!

However I do think its more with the road surface, sometimes on 50-60mph road with smooth tarmac, it's quite quiet, but 30mph noisy tarmac can be way louder.
My Edition 1 is quieter than my previous 8y S-line I thought the 19s would be worse, must be the tyre brand.

I've got the basic audio. For this car I think it's enough. At factory settings the bass isn't loud enough, but adjusting it upwards fixes it. My only gripe is that some punchy bass drum kicks thump through the door armrest. Maybe there's less of this problem with Sound System, because there's the subwoofer for the low frequencies, but then again, many have complained about the sub causing rattles in the boot.