Retrofit B7 boot opening to a B6?

Macduff

Reaction score
All in the title, anyone know if this is possible? It'd be a lot handier than the stupid feature on the B6 where the boot just pops but doesn't open completely.

The only posts I've read about the auto boot opening suggest that it's just a stronger gas strut - which should be possible to retrofit to a B6 provided the boot metalwork is the same as a B7?

cal1470 said:
PetrolDave is spot on, the only difference is uprated gas struts.

Wow, didn't know it was that simple. The car's going in next week for some paint repair under warranty so I'll ask them then if it'll fit.

I've just been on the phone to the local stealer - I randomly said 2006 A4 and he said there were two part numbers listed - both £23.99 + VAT each.

Anybody know for definite which part number is required?

Wouldnt the two numbers be for an Avant and a saloon.???

46TheDoctor said:
Wouldnt the two numbers be for an Avant and a saloon.???

Nope. I spoke to my local dealer yesterday. Both p/ns are for saloon but one is for the electric opening version. He could see any other differences but I'm going to do a side-by-side comparison of a B7 with mine before I buy the parts.

Would an auto opening boot on an avant not cause any passing children to be catapulted over the nearest house?

Rocko said:
Would an auto opening boot on an avant not cause any passing children to be catapulted over the nearest house?
:lmfao:
They could get a siren thingy like you get when a lorry is reversing to warn the kids.

"beep beep, WARNING!! BOOT OPENING"

Oops, too late, there go the kids. Happy landings!!

Ha Ha Ha you two mo' fo's are ****** bonkers!!!:icon_thumright:

Hi Im new to this forum but are VERY interested in retrofitting the struts on a B6!

So I have tried to track down the part number for these struts and from what I understand it should be:

B7 Comfort (the stronger struts)
8E5827552K

B7 Original:
8E5827552J

B6 Original:
8E5827552B

Can someone verify this? I would also like to know how many Newtons these struts have, so if anyone has any idea please let me know.

(These P# are for the saloon model and not the avant)

So we could just change the struts and that would enable this feature? I'd be interested in doing this as I've just about run of retro-fits to do to my A4! I'm off to search ETKA and see whats available.

Reactions: Gaztynan
I still haven't had a chance to compare mechanisms. However I was looking at my boot mechanism and noticed that the strut assistance doesn't really take effect until the boot is open maybe 6 inches. It seems that the B6 design helps to close the boot by removing assistance over that last few inches.

I will drop by Audi when I get a chance and do a comparison

me too, anyone that finds out the correct shocks for the auto lift struts, post the part number!!!

will help when out shopping trying to juggle the kids, boot, and trolley big time!!!

My B7 (saloon) does not have auto-boot opening but I would like it, I tried a pair of 8E5827552K struts on my car and it makes no difference at all to the original struts that were fitted, they were 8E5827552J.

So its back to the drawing board at the moment, I will search more through ETKA and Elsawin to see if there are any more differnces i.e wiring to the boot latch or a differnet boot latch.

Dealer searched through Ekta to have a look at the struts, and to confirm other posts, the Comfort Pack Option (4E5) uses uprated struts 8E5827552K at 23.99 each inc. VAT. They also said that the middle button on the remote (boot opening) needs to be held for at least 5 seconds for them to work properly, though constant use means that he has had many people back with worn out struts after 6-12 months. He referred me to the uprated VW struts which also fit, but look better as they have chrome.

I checked with my local dealer and they confirmed that the latches are the same. I suspect that the hinge mechanism may have different geometry to assist the opening.

Macduff said:
I checked with my local dealer and they confirmed that the latches are the same. I suspect that the hinge mechanism may have different geometry to assist the opening.

This is the only other thing I can think of, are the numbers different on ETKA? My copy is not working at the moment.

It defintley requires more than just the boot struts as I have fitted comfort struts to my A4 and it makes no difference, neither does holding the middle button for ages.

Anyone got anymore idea's on this? would love to get this feature working.

sage33e said:
Dealer searched through Ekta to have a look at the struts, and to confirm other posts, the Comfort Pack Option (4E5) uses uprated struts 8E5827552K at 23.99 each inc. VAT. They also said that the middle button on the remote (boot opening) needs to be held for at least 5 seconds for them to work properly, though constant use means that he has had many people back with worn out struts after 6-12 months. He referred me to the uprated VW struts which also fit, but look better as they have chrome.

Do you have any part numbers for these?

Mate, if you go into Audi Parts and quote the part no. given for the uprated struts, you'll be fine. However, for the VW ones....no idea, best to pop in and find out. Sorry. :sorry:

And we wonder why obesity is becoming such a problem, there's some real lazy feckers on here! Just go and buy a Merc and be done with it.....
Anyone know if I can retrofit a heated armrest to a B6 Avant?

sage33e said:
Mate, if you go into Audi Parts and quote the part no. given for the uprated struts, you'll be fine.

If you read my original post, I have already fitted the uprated Audi struts (8E5827552K) and it makes no difference over my original struts (8E5827552J), So how "I will be fine" I really dont understand.

If you'd already fitted the 'K' struts, and you saw that I'd mentioned these, then why ask for other part numbers in the first place?!? I don't understand either. Perhaps a Merc is the only option......:laugh:

has anyone check to see if the B7 boot lid is made of a lighter material like Alloy?

Ive an avant with the boot popper but to be honest Im not sure why its there, it releases the lock but you have to reach down and pull the boot lid up anyway so the extra millisecond to pull the handle would be negligable.

if it opened all the way tho it would be awesome :) great when you have your hands full.

pablo said:
if it opened all the way tho it would be awesome :) great when you have your hands full.

That's why I want it. You've got your hands full or the back of the car is filthy. Both good reasons to have it open completely.

Don't want a Merc Mr Andymac. I'm not that old :moa:

l got 34years to retirement myself mate, no need for a merc yet :p

Hey im a new member, currently have a 250td c-class but looking at a b6 a4 tdi quattro and i have to say the auto opening boot is brillient on me merc, by the way im no granda im only 20 lol,

Macduff said:
That's why I want it. You've got your hands full or the back of the car is filthy. Both good reasons to have it open completely.

Don't want a Merc Mr Andymac. I'm not that old :moa:

You've got your hands full but luckily you remembered not to put your keys in your pocket - yeah right.
Back of the car is filthy, even the latch underneath where you open the boot - don't think so.
There's plenty of fairly young taxi drivers in my area, so it's not just an old mans car.