Retrofit genuine Audi Swivel/Retracting towbar A4 B9 and All-Road

Daniel Orsborne

Reaction score
So after nearly 12 months of pain I've finally got this working. For anyone following in my footsteps wanting to install a genuine retractable towbar here's how to do it. If you only want to perform coding for a removable towbar (using genuine Audi parts to connect to the CAN bus) then you can follow the subset of instructions below.

Prerequisits
- Audi A4 B9 (Allroad) - these come with tow prep - but for the life of me I've never been able to get Audi to explain what this means.
- Audi A4 B9 - need to ensure that you have space in the well below the rear bumper for the towbar to fit and extend. The cut out is approx 30cm wide by 20cm deep - I believe that on A4 models it may require cutting the space in the bottom of the rear bumper. The position of the opening means that neither the opening nor the towbar can be see when it's retracted.
- VCDS or VCP - if you are installing a removable towbar you can code it with VCDS alone. If you are installing a restractable towbar you can code it ith VCDS prodiving your tow controller has been parameterised. If not you need VCP so that you can parameterise it. This process takes 30 seconds and is a guided function within VCP so I'm happy to help people who need it.

Parts
- Genuine retractable towbar
- Allroad 8W0800491N
- B9 the last letter of the above part number changes depending on the model - you can find out from Audi what should fit your car.​
- Wiring loom, switch and controller: https://wibutec-shop.com/Kabelsatz-fuer-schwenkbare-Anhaengerkupplung-Audi-A4-8W
- Tow Controller (I got mine direct from Audi so only bought the wiring loom from Wibutech) 4M0907383F (again the last digit of this seems to be different in different models.)
- Tow bar release switch 8W0951511 (I also got this direct from Audi)​

- OR removable towbar https://wibutec-shop.com/Westfalia-Anhaengerkupplung-Anhaengezugvorrichtung-fuer-Audi-A4-B9
- Wiring loom and controller
- 7 or 13 pin connector https://www.pfjones.co.uk/audi-a4-b...ds-13-pin-westfalia-dedicated-wiring-kit.html

Installation
The instructions from Wibutech are provided via PDF - they are 10Mb so I can't attach them here but can send them onto people that need them.

Coding
The Wibutech document contains the necessary coding instructions but here they are:
09 - central electrics (security code 31347)
Long coding: hitch_ecu - change to
installed

46 - Central module comfort system
trailer monitoring – change to active
trailer control unit – change to installed

3C - Lane Change Assist
ECU for draw bar – change to with ECU for draw bar
Or
Trailer control unit – change to installed

17 - Dashboard
Trailer – change to yes

6C - reverse camera system
equipment_ahk/trailer detection – change to installed

74 - chassis control system
Trailer – change to installed

10 or 76 - PDC controller
Trailer – change to trailer device can be removed manually

13 - controller distance control (security code 20103)
Control module for towing sens/Control module for trailer – change to installed

A5 - front sensors driver assistance system
AAG/Trailer electrics – change to coded

6D - boot lid electronics controller
Trailer/controller for trailer – change to installed

Parameterising the Control Unit
This is where I got stuck - I'd done all the above but the release button for my tow bar just refused to work. I tried changing the coding options in VCDS but it made no difference. If you're lucky your control unit may be parameterised already but it not you will need VCP to do this. I've attached a screen shot below but from the VCP file manager you download the ZDC file for the Audi A4 Tow Controller and then use the File Upload function to upload it to Module 69. The whole process took less than 30 seconds once I knew what to do and the button started working immediately.

I now have VCDS and VCP if anyone in the Norfolk, UK area needs help with coding.

Attachments

• IMG_3313 (1).jpg
    IMG_3313 (1).jpg
    544.4 KB · Views: 1,365
Reactions: gregf1, Big Mac, Antoine006 and 3 others
hello daniel I am mounting a trailer hitch on a4 b9 and I have the same problem; or did you find the zdc file I know little vcds ;; great job thank you

You can’t parameterise the tow controller without vcp so if the button isn’t lighting up this is what you’ll need to do.
The other coding you can do via VCDS - it’s fairly simple to make the changes following the instruction file - if you don’t have it PM me your email and I’ll send it over

hello daniel I am mounting a trailer hitch on a4 b9 and I have the same problem; or did you find the zdc file I know little vcds ;; great job thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
ok yes I have the led of the switch which does not light up; the lighting yes; I have vcds and odiss that I know better q parrametrage is coding or adaptation, how to contact you in MP thank you

I now have VCDS and VCP if anyone in the Norfolk, UK area needs help with coding.

Daniel, very helpful pist mate. I've just installed a genuine swivel tow bar to my a6 c7 and have done the VCDS coding, any chance you can do the VCP bit at some point? Im jn West Norfolk....

Cheers,

Rob

Today I installed a towbar to my Audi A4 B9 on my own and everything works like a charm.
I would like to thank @Daniel Orsborne for provided instructions - It was really helpful.

I would also like to share my experience that could be useful for someone, who will be installing a towbar basing on used parts (in particular used electric harness) like me. In short words, I bought a used wiring harness (the one that connects the tow controller with the electric system of the car). In my case, the connectors that are used to connect pins from the convenience system were cut off. I had to identify plugs and connectors (pin) to fix harness before mounting it:

- 3 pin socket housings that are used to connect pins from 32-pin connectors (named "B" & "E" in the manual) are:
3-pin MQS (Micro Quadlock System) male/female socket with MQS pins (part number: 000979012E for male and 000979009E for female)
- 2-pin socket housing that is used to connect pin 5 of 17-pin connector "A" is:
2-pin MCON male/female socket with 1.2mm flat pin (part numbers: 5Q0973802 for male and 4H0973702A for female)

Basing on a wiring instruction of your car (SM_48 wiring), towbar installation manual, and information provided above, it should be very easy to connect sockets and fix harness.

In case of questions just write them in this thread or contact me directly using PM. I will be happy to help.

Reactions: vasilshterev and Cbk1006
Hi all, I have just joined the Audi gang and too need to fit a towbar to my 2016 A4 avant. There weren't many with towbars fitted and instead got swayed with a virtual dash and B&O sound (which is lovely). Can anyone advise? is it a case of getting one off eBay ensuring all wiring and internal switch is included? And then asking Daniel kindly to help with coding?
Regards

Hi Daniel,
I just received the genuine audi part for my a4 allroad and I'm very interested in the installation pdf !

I'll send you my email by PM

Hi Daniel, since I'm a new member, I can not send you a PM.
Could you send me a private message so that I can answer you with my email for the installation pdf ?
Thanks in advance !

Hi Daniel,
I recently purchased a used towtrust detachable towbar for a 2018 Audi B9. Its came with 7 pin designated electrics. I have no issues fitting the towbar but dont know the first thing about coding or VCDS. Im more tha happy to do it myself if you could kindly assist, Im unable to PM you.

Today I installed a towbar to my Audi A4 B9 on my own and everything works like a charm.
I would like to thank @Daniel Orsborne for provided instructions - It was really helpful.

I would also like to share my experience that could be useful for someone, who will be installing a towbar basing on used parts (in particular used electric harness) like me. In short words, I bought a used wiring harness (the one that connects the tow controller with the electric system of the car). In my case, the connectors that are used to connect pins from the convenience system were cut off. I had to identify plugs and connectors (pin) to fix harness before mounting it:

- 3 pin socket housings that are used to connect pins from 32-pin connectors (named "B" & "E" in the manual) are:
3-pin MQS (Micro Quadlock System) male/female socket with MQS pins (part number: 000979012E for male and 000979009E for female)
- 2-pin socket housing that is used to connect pin 5 of 17-pin connector "A" is:
2-pin MCON male/female socket with 1.2mm flat pin (part numbers: 5Q0973802 for male and 4H0973702A for female)

Basing on a wiring instruction of your car (SM_48 wiring), towbar installation manual, and information provided above, it should be very easy to connect sockets and fix harness.

In case of questions just write them in this thread or contact me directly using PM. I will be happy to help.

Hi Tomasz, I too am wanting to fit a retractable unit but cannot find any loom or control unit around the spare wheel of my B9 avant, and the bars on ebay don't seem to include these? How did you find all the bits?
Regards
Andrew

Reactions: Cbk1006
You can’t parameterise the tow controller without vcp so if the button isn’t lighting up this is what you’ll need to do.
The other coding you can do via VCDS - it’s fairly simple to make the changes following the instruction file - if you don’t have it PM me your email and I’ll send it over

Hi
Ive just fitted a detachable towbar with designated electrics, however my car wasnt prepped for towing and the electrics I got on ebay have came from a vehicle that are. What are my options.

Pat

Daniel, very helpful pist mate. I've just installed a genuine swivel tow bar to my a6 c7 and have done the VCDS coding, any chance you can do the VCP bit at some point? Im jn West Norfolk....

Cheers,

Rob
Hi Daniel
Just joined on here as bought a 2017 b9 Allroad 2.0 Tdi.
It has the cut out but no tow bar fitted. ive located a swivel tow bar part no 8W0.800.491.M - 8W0.959.245
So is genuine and as far as I know comes off an Allroad.
It has all cable connections intact.

so will it be a straight fit or do I just need to locate a switch and code or do you think as it’s an Allroad it will be setup already?
Andy.

Hi Daniel,
I recently purchased a used towtrust detachable towbar for a 2018 Audi B9. Its came with 7 pin designated electrics. I have no issues fitting the towbar but dont know the first thing about coding or VCDS. Im more tha happy to do it myself if you could kindly assist, Im unable to PM you.
Sorry only just seen this as someone else sent me a PM - do you still need it?

Hi Daniel
Just joined on here as bought a 2017 b9 Allroad 2.0 Tdi.
It has the cut out but no tow bar fitted. ive located a swivel tow bar part no 8W0.800.491.M - 8W0.959.245
So is genuine and as far as I know comes off an Allroad.
It has all cable connections intact.

so will it be a straight fit or do I just need to locate a switch and code or do you think as it’s an Allroad it will be setup already?
Andy.
If you’re lucky and you have the tow bar and the controllers from the same car then it should just work. Let me know if you need the instruction document

Hi Tomasz, I too am wanting to fit a retractable unit but cannot find any loom or control unit around the spare wheel of my B9 avant, and the bars on ebay don't seem to include these? How did you find all the bits?
Regards
Andrew
There weren’t any bits around the spare wheel in my B9, they were in the cubby hole behind the removable panel on the left side of the boot

Hi Daniel,

I've got an A4 Allroad which already has a towbar fitted - it's a "tow-trust" detachable.
I'm planning on swapping it for the retractable, and would be great if you could send me the instruction document.
Fortunatly, the car has the westfalia tow controller, so it's mainly to see how the release switch connects to it, and if there are any changes to the coding of the unit or additional wiring.

One question though, I note the partnumber you ordered for the towbar ends with "N" seen lots of them on ebay which end with "M" I assume these are not suitable, and it must be the "N" variant?

Thanks,
Ray

Hi Daniel,
I must install the genuine towbar for audi a4 b9 and I'm very interested in the installation pdf !
Thanx!

Hi Daniel,

I've got an A4 Allroad which already has a towbar fitted - it's a "tow-trust" detachable.
I'm planning on swapping it for the retractable, and would be great if you could send me the instruction document.
Fortunatly, the car has the westfalia tow controller, so it's mainly to see how the release switch connects to it, and if there are any changes to the coding of the unit or additional wiring.

One question though, I note the partnumber you ordered for the towbar ends with "N" seen lots of them on ebay which end with "M" I assume these are not suitable, and it must be the "N" variant?

Thanks,
Ray
Hi Ray - did you get any joy from the N or M part query? I am also looking at a 2nd hand retractable towbar on eBay and it ends with a "M". I'm looking to fit it on a 2017 A4 Allroad.

So after nearly 12 months of pain I've finally got this working. For anyone following in my footsteps wanting to install a genuine retractable towbar here's how to do it. If you only want to perform coding for a removable towbar (using genuine Audi parts to connect to the CAN bus) then you can follow the subset of instructions below.

Prerequisits
- Audi A4 B9 (Allroad) - these come with tow prep - but for the life of me I've never been able to get Audi to explain what this means.
- Audi A4 B9 - need to ensure that you have space in the well below the rear bumper for the towbar to fit and extend. The cut out is approx 30cm wide by 20cm deep - I believe that on A4 models it may require cutting the space in the bottom of the rear bumper. The position of the opening means that neither the opening nor the towbar can be see when it's retracted.
- VCDS or VCP - if you are installing a removable towbar you can code it with VCDS alone. If you are installing a restractable towbar you can code it ith VCDS prodiving your tow controller has been parameterised. If not you need VCP so that you can parameterise it. This process takes 30 seconds and is a guided function within VCP so I'm happy to help people who need it.

Parts
- Allroad 8W0800491N
- B9 the last letter of the above part number changes depending on the model - you can find out from Audi what should fit your car.​
- Wiring loom, switch and controller: https://wibutec-shop.com/Kabelsatz-fuer-schwenkbare-Anhaengerkupplung-Audi-A4-8W
- Tow Controller (I got mine direct from Audi so only bought the wiring loom from Wibutech) 4M0907383F (again the last digit of this seems to be different in different models.)​

- OR removable towbar https://wibutec-shop.com/Westfalia-Anhaengerkupplung-Anhaengezugvorrichtung-fuer-Audi-A4-B9
- 7 or 13 pin connector https://www.pfjones.co.uk/audi-a4-b...ds-13-pin-westfalia-dedicated-wiring-kit.html

Installation
The instructions from Wibutech are provided via PDF - they are 10Mb so I can't attach them here but can send them onto people that need them.

Coding
The Wibutech document contains the necessary coding instructions but here they are:

This is where I got stuck - I'd done all the above but the release button for my tow bar just refused to work. I tried changing the coding options in VCDS but it made no difference. If you're lucky your control unit may be parameterised already but it not you will need VCP to do this. I've attached a screen shot below but from the VCP file manager you download the ZDC file for the Audi A4 Tow Controller and then use the File Upload function to upload it to Module 69. The whole process took less than 30 seconds once I knew what to do and the button started working immediately.

Hi Daniel,
Im considering to make an order on wibutech website.Thinking of ordering whole wiring kit with control unit and switch.Would you mind to send me an pdf with installation,pls.I know that they provide one ones you buy the kit.But just want to make sure that I’m in the right direction before fork it out £400☺️ Thanks in advance

Prerequisits

Parts
- Allroad 8W0800491N
- Tow Controller (I got mine direct from Audi so only bought the wiring loom from Wibutech) 4M0907383F (again the last digit of this seems to be different in different models.)​

Installation

Coding

Hi,
I don't suppose I could get those instructions off you too? :) I want to fit the swivel tow bar to my 17 plate A5 coupe and as far as I can tell, most of the kit is the same as the A4 so I thought it may give me an idea of what I'm getting myself in to haha.
Cheers and Thanks in Advanced!
Thomas.

hi guys any chance i can get the insturctions aswell ? have bought the tow bar and i think part ofnthe loom but need the controller switch and possibly the other loom but honesty not sure b9 avant . cheers

Hi I am new to the forum.
I have an Audi A4 B9 Avant.
I have bought a second hand genuine fold away tow bar and fitted it.
I have got the wiring loom through to the left hand panel but don’t know where to plug it in ?
any help would be appreciate, do I have to get another wiring loom or controller.

Hi I am new to the forum.
I have an Audi A4 B9 Avant.
I have bought a second hand genuine fold away tow bar and fitted it.
I have got the wiring loom through to the left hand panel but don’t know where to plug it in ?
any help would be appreciate, do I have to get another wiring loom or controller.
hi. i never got a reply on here when i asked but have worked it out my self . u need a wiring loom a switch and an ecu module . i got mine from wibutec in germany . was about 450 . need to join a few wires in the mudule in the boot then its just plug and play . hope that helps . they send you full instructions and the dongle that comes with the full kit is stupid easy to use and programs its self

Hi Ray - did you get any joy from the N or M part query? I am also looking at a 2nd hand retractable towbar on eBay and it ends with a "M". I'm looking to fit it on a 2017 A4 Allroad.
Very late reply - I'm about 100% certain it's got to be the "N" part. Looking at the standard detachable swan-neck westfalia towbar fitting instructions, and the mounting of the towbar receiver is in a different position between an A4 and an Allroad, so I would assume the electric retractable would be the same.

Hi guys,

Just ordered a second hand OEM tow hook and wondering if anyone can also send me the wiring diagram. The seller will also send me part of the installation wiring but I need to recreate it for mine.

Seller will also provide the module + button from the same tow hook so I guess everything should go easy. Plug & play + coding.

Thanks in advance !

Evening all, very late to the party I know. Does anybody have this PDF still kicking about and wouldn't mind forwarding me a copy please?

Thanks.

Dan.

Ho could you please help me with wiring ? I connected all by myself but missing what is for two wires one is for 15 switched witch I understand but there is one to brake switch both are in black small connector I found brake switch F in bcm 2 so I hooked it on
Did flash with vcp but still got error about some power disconnected
Button works good

Reactions: Smokinjoe
Does anyone have the wiring diagram or instructions. Just on with mine now and no instructions sent from TPS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone have the wiring diagram or instructions. Just on with mine now and no instructions sent from TPS

Well I just finished my a week ago
I did find all necessary wiring which have to be done and was missing two one was power switched and one from brake switch F
If you need some help let me know I can tell you what where if you have all wiring with it ..
I did all by myself just the one what go’s from to car was there on tow hitch originally

Well I just finished my a week ago
I did find all necessary wiring which have to be done and was missing two one was power switched and one from brake switch F
If you need some help let me know I can tell you what where if you have all wiring with it ..
I did all by myself just the one what go’s from to car was there on tow hitch originally

If you can mate. My car is in bits.

I have 4 power wires for fuses and 1 yellow/black.
I’ve done the 2 can wires pin 1 and 2
A black/ red and black that went to pin 12 and 17.

I have 4 power wires for fuses and 1 yellow/black.
I’ve done the 2 can wires pin 1 and 2
A black/ red and black that went to pin 12 and 17.

Does anyone have the diagram they could send? Car is in bits at the moment.

Hpe its help

Attachments

• 8EC2951E-E420-4216-8838-E10F71326EC9.jpeg
    8EC2951E-E420-4216-8838-E10F71326EC9.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 511
  • 7F518D82-FC56-4216-A3D3-2303D06C272C.jpeg
    7F518D82-FC56-4216-A3D3-2303D06C272C.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 371
  • 7EF027A7-87CB-4673-909A-F995C934A766.jpeg
    7EF027A7-87CB-4673-909A-F995C934A766.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 330
  • FD2A27D0-7742-4D1B-B6DA-6504FA9E0D0B.jpeg
    FD2A27D0-7742-4D1B-B6DA-6504FA9E0D0B.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 376
  • C9C0400C-22EC-402D-8500-742BB9B3597B.jpeg
    C9C0400C-22EC-402D-8500-742BB9B3597B.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 317
  • 2FFD4CDA-346A-4142-AEE5-D71EF7AA1415.jpeg
    2FFD4CDA-346A-4142-AEE5-D71EF7AA1415.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 376
  • 351C4170-8DBF-4976-83F6-3888EB923C4B.jpeg
    351C4170-8DBF-4976-83F6-3888EB923C4B.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 291
  • B15C87ED-EB8E-4DCC-9B3C-EB23E3CA8CB5.jpeg
    B15C87ED-EB8E-4DCC-9B3C-EB23E3CA8CB5.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 414
Hi All l am wondering if anyone can assist. I have a 2021 sq5 wanting to install a genuine retrofit fully integrated towbar like the one in this youtube video however l have been told by audi dealer they dont do this. Does anyone know here if it is possible? And if there are any towbar installers that do this type of install. If you cannot veiw the youtube video basically it is a towabar that fits and folds under the rear bumber bar and has a button on the side of the interior boot that you can press it to release the towbar and if pressed again retracts the towbar. the towbar also has the plug attached to it. Looks really nice