Retrofit Matrix LED headlights to my new Audi A3 8Y

Haragunus

Reaction score
I have recently picked up my new Audi A3 S-line 8Y in Navarra Blue. The car has the LED headlights fitted but I would like to switch these for the upgraded Matrix LED headlights.
Does anyone have any knowledge/information around whether it is possible to retrofit these Matrix LED headlights?

Anything should be possible. Can’t say I’ve seen anything online yet but you’ll be looking at £1200-£2000 just for the lighting units and that’s second hand prices. Maybe cheaper if you shop around but it’s not going to be cheap. I’m sure the Matrix led use the camera/sensor behind the mirror so you’d need that replacing along with new coding on the system. Someone will have more knowledge than me I’m sure.

Reactions: Haragunus
To be honest as good as they are I would not pay to retro fit them. One thing that I am not sure people realise is that they only work on unlit roads so if you live in a large town/city they will probably not even activate.
I have them and they do come on where I live but they are not life changing like everyone makes out.

Reactions: monkeyhanger, Southall87, mustafab97 and 2 others
To be honest as good as they are I would not pay to retro fit them. One thing that I am not sure people realise is that they only work on unlit roads so if you live in a large town/city they will probably not even activate.
I have them and they do come on where I live but they are not life changing like everyone makes out.
Am I right in thinking you have to activate the Matrix each time you get in the car by pulling the stalk or something similar.

Reactions: pafcpilgrim
I wouldn't bother, the standard LED units are great

Reactions: Duncs and Haragunus
that retrofit will be expensive I will say around 3000 :)

matrix are great as you can make rs3 animation :) , i got rs3 rear light animation but missing front due to missing matrix :D

that retrofit will be expensive I will say around 3000 :)

matrix are great as you can make rs3 animation :) , i got rs3 rear light animation but missing front due to missing matrix :D
How do you do the rs3 rear light animation ?

Yes you have to push it forward every time you get in the car to activate.
Don't think this is entirely true, mine stays active all the time unless the camera has been obstructed such as condensation frost etc, then I have to reactivate

Every time you enter/start the car you have to activate matrix lighting by pushing the indicator level forwards.

Last edited:
If you look at the attached diagrams they are almost the same apart from the matrix light for lighting certain sections of the road and the signature day time running light

Attachments

• A201964_large.jpg
    A201964_large.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 451
  • A201968_large.jpg
    A201968_large.jpg
    1,007.6 KB · Views: 540
Last edited:
Reactions: mustafab97
Not entirely sure what you mean by this but I have the LED rear combination headlights and dynamic turn indicators. It looks the same as what you have in your video.
I think the animation like the one in the video is for all A3s that have the matrix headlights. Edition 1 etc.

Not entirely sure what you mean by this but I have the LED rear combination headlights and dynamic turn indicators. It looks the same as what you have in your video.
I can get it dont how long you car has led ano not halogen at rear

If you look at the attached diagrams they are almost the same apart from the matrix light for lighting certain sections of the road and the signature day time running light
This is interesting. I wonder what other things go into switching the lights from LED to Matrix LED, such as sensor/camera calibration etc. As mentioned in this thread, there isn't much available online with regard to people who have done this headlight switch. Personally, I'm going to wait until more information is available on this

Matrix headlights retrofit is certainly possible depending on how deep your pockets are, you will require the wiring, head lights, windscreen, camera, software coding etc.

Reactions: Haragunus
Matrix headlights retrofit is certainly possible depending on how deep your pockets are, you will require the wiring, head lights, windscreen, camera, software coding etc.
for sure no windscreen as on led and matrix they looks same

Typo mistake should have said May 21 but like you say must of changed in that time.
My S3 is November 2020 and I have to activate every time, so probably has changed - My works pool car Seat Leon old model has the Auto Main Beam and that stays active

Am I right in thinking you have to activate the Matrix each time you get in the car by pulling the stalk or something similar.
Not really! It stays on in my case for couple of rides and I find it quite random. I'd assume that whenever you activate them but conditions to turn them on aren't met, the next time you fire up the car they are off.

you never really see the animation imo unless you stand there and watch everytime you lock/unlock your car when its dark enough, if your driving and it gets dark im sure they just come straight on with no animation but need to test that, also the little part of the lights that has a pattern for each different model and does a different animation

you never really see the animation imo unless you stand there and watch everytime you lock/unlock your car when its dark enough, if your driving and it gets dark im sure they just come straight on with no animation but need to test that, also the little part of the lights that has a pattern for each different model and does a different animation
They actually do activate with an animation while you are driving.