Q5 Retrofit remote auxillary heating

Iftttnewbie

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've purchased a used Q5 (2017 67 plate but registered in Jan 2018) from an official audi dealership this week.

The original vehicle owner doesn't seem to have purchased the remote heating feature from MyAudi app however I would like to add this.

Contacted Audi customer services, they checked my VIN and told me the hardware wasn't fitted with the vehicle. However, I can get remote lock/unlock through MyAudi app so I can't see why my vehicle shouldn't be capable of turning on remote heating when the remote connection has already been established. Surely its just a software tweak no?

Any help would be much appreciated.

N.B.: Side question, how do I get the car to beep or make a sound when I press the lock button on my key? My E class I've just returned used to have this and I appreciated the auditory confirmation of vehicle being locked.

Sorry if these have already been answered, or if I sound naive, first time an Audi owner (always switched between BMW and Merc) and glad I finally made the jump :)

It's hardware, usually a fuel based unit in the engine bay, it's generally not a UK fitted item unless specifically spec'd, I'd hazard 99.9% of UK cars don't have it.

Probably could retrofit it, it's not cheap as checked all this for other cars too.

I wonder if the op is thinking of what the remote heating is in the e-tron we have which does fire up the heaters (or whatever the last temp was set) remotely and as far as I know, this was never an option in the Q5 or any other Audi.
It is more for pre-heat/conditioning so the battery is not too cold

As for beeping on lock etc, that will be coding using vcds or equivalent. If its the facelift you have, there were a few things you can enable (I'm sure NHN can do this if you're local) such as MMI welcome sound, enabling lane assist (if you have the hardware) without the stalk, mirror dip, easy entry (if elec seats) which were some of the ones I had enabled on my SQ5 before it was replaced by the e-tron

Etron, because it has a lump of a battery, the heating via existing system isn't an issue, however on combustion cars, the battery would be dead within minutes if they used this for the climate system, hence the added engine bay unit using fuel & minimal electrics, may require battery upgrade also.

Thank you both! That's very helpful.

Sounds like there needs to be a power or battery source for the remote heating so may not be the best idea considering I will probably only keep the vehicle for a year or so.

Regarding locking of vehicle, sounds like more of a pain to achieve something without much value. Are you in SE england by any chance NHN?

Did you check your mmi for locking beeps, if not there, then coding probably needed.

SE yes, whereabouts in London are you?

Forgive me for being a total noob but where in the MMI settings would I go? There were some options like Car, Media, Telephone, Settings, Audi Connect, etc.
I'm in kent but near dartford. Is there a way to contact you to discuss?

Hi All,

I've purchased a used Q5 (2017 67 plate but registered in Jan 2018) from an official audi dealership this week.

The original vehicle owner doesn't seem to have purchased the remote heating feature from MyAudi app however I would like to add this.

Contacted Audi customer services, they checked my VIN and told me the hardware wasn't fitted with the vehicle. However, I can get remote lock/unlock through MyAudi app so I can't see why my vehicle shouldn't be capable of turning on remote heating when the remote connection has already been established. Surely its just a software tweak no?

Any help would be much appreciated.

N.B.: Side question, how do I get the car to beep or make a sound when I press the lock button on my key? My E class I've just returned used to have this and I appreciated the auditory confirmation of vehicle being locked.

Sorry if these have already been answered, or if I sound naive, first time an Audi owner (always switched between BMW and Merc) and glad I finally made the jump :)
You can purchase a kit for the Auxiliary heating system using all the proper Audi hardware - not exactly cheap though! Retrofit kit auxiliary heating for Audi Q5 FY