Retrofit self levellers

mattyboyc

B6 Veteran now Q5 owner
Reaction score
Hi all, I have just fitted a set of S4 headlights and all is working fine but being factory xenons they have the self levelling motors rather than the manual ones that the halogen ones have, I just wonder quite what is involved in fitting the rest of the self levelling system?

Last edited:
With respect mate use the search function as its been discussed to death on various cars & normally applies to all the same installation requirements.

It needs axle sensors, levelling controller, wires into each headlight & axle aswell as to the CE, takes a while & not cheap, also headlight washers are required by law for xenons.

Yes I saw those, but it looks like I could have annother option, both sets of lights halogen and xenon are the same only difference being the halogen plug only uses 9 of the 10 pins where as the xenon uses all 10 ( I guess this is for the auto levelling side of things as the plug on the leveller has an extra wire ) so I fitted the manual levellers from the halogen units into the xenon units and they all fit fine, so I must be able to re-wire the plug and get the manual levellers to work so at least I would have some means of levelling should the car ever be loaded up fully.

Xenon use a 4-wire stepper motor as opposed to a 3-wire servo motor.
Check Elsawin which will have the wiring diagram
The little plug inside the headlight to the respective motors will be different (as you said) - I would add the 3-pin plug in parallel to the 4-wire plug on the respective wires - easy enough to splice and solder in this little fly lead plug. Get some old Headlights and cut out the required plugs.

Can email you the circuits for the complete headlight diagrams for Halogen and Xenon variants. Send me your email if you want them.