Facelift Retrofitted Reverse camera

Trevolly

Reaction score
Evening all.

I've got a 17' A3 Saloon and today had a reverse camera retrofitted. I was told by the company it was an Audi Official camera. It looks identical to the one that was on my 15' sportback A3 (fits where the boot handle is). It all works fine but on the display screen when in reverse I get half camera, half an image of the car and the sensor fields.

My old A3 showed the camera fully displayed on the display with a "ghost" image of the car and sensor fields.

Is this normal? Is there a way to make it "full screen". I can't see any options in the menus. Also when reversing I have no moving reverse lines (when turning the wheel). Appreciate any help. Can't post a pic atm as am at work.

Who installed your camera? My car doesn't have one and I'm interested in getting in done.

Reactions: David McQueen
yes it's like that on my FL as well. It's silly, the camera view is squished and small. I wouldn't worry about the steering lines as they are completely useless.

Reactions: 4K
There are several retrofitters who has completed this, message @DJAlix

With regards to image....

The newer modules show the image in a reduced / squeezed part of the screen with a seperate image of the car and associated sensors on the right.

The older - original modules had a full image the width of the screen with an image / ghost of the car overlayed rather than seperately.

So you have the newer module which is the same one associated with your FL MY17/18 car if optioned from the factory.

If you cycle through the menu buttons ( back/ menu - ie the four MMI buttons on the centre consol) you may find a setting to see guiding lines. This is certainly how the old camera works. You cannot change the view to a full screen like the original / older module.

Regds
Jungle

Last edited:
Reactions: DJAlix
Cheers guys. Confused me tbh because it seemed a bit of a step backwards! Wondered whether the retrofit company stitched me over but obviously not.

@Svenedin Audi arranged the company to do it as part of me buying the car so irony know tbh.

yes it's like that on my FL as well. It's silly, the camera view is squished and small. I wouldn't worry about the steering lines as they are completely useless.
Sorry, I don't agree. I think the lines are a really good guide.
I quoted earlier that I had the split, but I was misleading. My diagram is about 25%, but is overlaid on the camera image. Certainly I don't have any problem with the screen appearance or operation. I do like the diagram as well though because you can easily see which detector is firing and how close you are.