Retrofitting OEM A3/S3 TPMS sensors on RS3

wickedstef

Reaction score
To anyone who may know or sell this,

- Would you know why this car was sold without TPMS?
- Could the OEM system for A3/S3 be retrofitted and the On-Board computer reconfigured to deal with them?

Cheers

Stephane

Last edited:
Thank you Cruiser89, I'll watch the video. I'd think dbm and I won't be the only one interested.

I'm really curious to know if they didn't do it because of something going badly wrong...

I guess the question is - if your TPM activates how do you then reset it? Retrofit the button?

ETA: answered my own question be following the link to thread above - handled through the DIS.

Having had TPMS on the RS4 for 5 years I have to say I never used it. It was more a PITA when you had tyres changed or wheels refurbed in having to reset it when it thought either the sensor wasn't working or it was registering a flat because yhe wheels and sensors had been taken out of sensor range.

I get your point P_G. I come from a Megane RS 225 and the Renault's system is excellent. It will do the check each time you start the car and will tell you when a tyre requires a pressure adjustment. It will also clearly differentiate between a puncture/faulty valve and just a tyre needing readjustment. The VAG version is quite odd...

Watched the video, now the question is, are we running the right ABS module. If they have fitted a different one, then this must be the explanation.

Cheers guys

If it were the Megane on or one where you could see actually pressures then I agree it is worth having but the Audi system is IMO naff and for the price of the valves plus sensors (£85 per wheel)if you have the right ABS module just to let you know if it needs inflating or is flat, money better spent elsewhere.

The 8P A3/S3/RS3(?) version of TPMS is completely different to the B7 A4/S4/RS4 version.

The 8P version is based purely on difference in rotational speed of the wheels (which is why it needs the right ABS module), there are no pressure sensors in the wheels - so it cannot display wheel pressures.

The B7 version is totally separate from the ABS and uses pressure sensors in each wheel. The reason that doesn't display pressures for each wheel is purely down to sloppy programming of the DIS by Audi - the information IS available in the TPMS control module and can be seen using VCDS.

£85 per wheel is quite pricey indeed. The issue is that I've had a quick look at the aftermarket ones and they are huge and cover the original valves. Then you have to add some wireless monitor in the car, but at least you get actual readings...

I had a few puncture on the Megane and although it was frustrating, it was good to know immediately as most of the time, I could save the tyre by not driving on it more than necessary.

The issue is that I've had a quick look at the aftermarket ones and they are huge and cover the original valves. Then you have to add some wireless monitor in the car, but at least you get actual readings...
Take a look at the TyrePal, I've had one of them in my daily drive (a Citroen C1!) for nearly 18 months and it's been 100% reliable so far - comes in really handy when I've got the Summer wheels on as they have 40 profile tyres.

See TyrePal TD1000 – car & light van TPMS | www.tyrepal.co.uk for a 4 wheel 60psi max system for £165.

Thank you PetrolDave. These are very similar to the ones I was referring to.

Does it look big/out of place when fitted?

Sorry I wasn't clear enough, I was talking about the sensors themselves :)

Sorry I wasn't clear enough, I was talking about the sensors themselves :)
OK, sorry.

They're about 2cm round and a bit less deep - even on the tiny (14") OE wheels on the C1 they don't look massive (and they're held on with a grub screw to make them less likely to fall target to the "light fingered" mob, I've had them on for 18 months now with no problems).

Well I knew I need this... Got a slow puncture fixed today. Glad they weren't enjoying the bank holiday. It must have been going on for some time. Had between 20 and 30psi in the rear right tyre. Pumped it yesterday to 40, went down to 38 overnight. They found a long nice nail.

With sensors I would have know from the very moment this happened.

Last edited:
I'll probably do this jb0o as soon as I find out if the ABS module is compatible. My fear is that they didn't fit the RS3 with sensors because they changed the module...

My fear is that they didn't fit the RS3 with sensors because they changed the module...
See my earlier post - the TPMS on the 8P does NOT use wheel pressure sensors, it simply uses the existing ABS wheel speed sensors to measure the wheel speeds, and if one wheel is spinning faster than the others (due to reduced radius) it assumes that reduced radius is due to loss of pressure in the tyre and reports that as a low pressure fault.

Hence why you need to have a TPMS compatible ABS module...

See the Ross-Tech wiki page for the 8P Audi A3/S3 & A3 Cabriolet (8P) - Ross-Tech Wiki where under ABS modules it says:
Ross-Tech said:
with ABS based Tire Pressure Monitoring (PR-7K1/7K6)

Last edited:
Hi PetrolDave,

I got that. I misused the word sensor, but I did mention the ABS module being compatible as a requirement. :)

It does work if you've the right ABS module, see my contribution on the above thread I've even posted pictures of it working on my 61 plate S3 if you follow the instructions and have VCDS you can't go wrong.

Hi Veneeringman,

Thank you. I still need to find the info about the ABS module. I'll see that when i get the brakes fixed.

Hi I have enabled TPMS and the reset via the DIS I have the 1AT ABS controller that is supposed to be able to support TPMS but I cannot code the module even via long coding helper on a 61 plate RS3 is anyone able to help with coding for the brake electronics please?

Cannot be done on the RS3 with Vag-com I'm afraid (I've tried several different things and nothing worked)

Cannot be done on the RS3 with Vag-com I'm afraid (I've tried several different things and nothing worked)

Seems it cannot be done by Audi either a friendly dealer requested an SVM code for me and factory came back saying module was not compatible. Seems strange given you could have TPMS on an A3 S3 TT & TTRS have you got anywhere with the TTRS ABS module?

Erm nope. Nothing doing I'm afraid. I use the visual and weekly check of tyre pressures.

Seems it cannot be done by Audi either a friendly dealer requested an SVM code for me and factory came back saying module was not compatible. Seems strange given you could have TPMS on an A3 S3 TT & TTRS have you got anywhere with the TTRS ABS module?

I enabled it on my 2011 S3 inc HHA

I get the same SVM results as you on my 2012 RS3. My Abs Module and Coding are identical to yours.

The more Audi do this the less useful Vag-Com will become.

A shame really as since I've owned the RS 3 I've suffered 2 flat tyres and once you drive on them in that state they are rendered useless.

It's sometimes difficult with the fronts, especially at 8.5j 255/30 to visually spot any problems as a loss of 10-15 psi can ruin the sidewall.