B9 Returning to the fold but WLTP trying to ruin my day

NickyF

Reaction score
Hi all, I’ve been lurking around this place for a few years but not so much recently as about 18 months ago I traded my 8V S3 for an Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio. I’m still deeply in love with that car, but my wife needs a new car (I say for the wife, but it will be my car, she knows it, I know it) so I thought I’d go over board and get an RS4 Avant. I went to the local dealer and was told I couldn’t place a factory order until October, with a likely deliver of Feb/March next year. All they could sell me was their own group stock (4 cars, none of which fitted the bill). I looked on Autotrader and there are about 25 2018 cars on there, but only 4 have the options I want and they all have a few thousands miles on them and seem to be going for list. I’ve seen other threads regarding WLTP so know it’s a thing. I don’t want to be ripped off and suspect the dealer is over stating the wait times to encourage me to buy something quicker. I’m not in a huge hurry, but don’t want to wait for March. Anyone know what’s actually going on?

It's true, build dates at least late this year with cars being delivered 2019. If you can find one built that you like you may get a great deal as if not reg'd by Sept 18 the car is basically scrap!

TX.

Edit - views on the Alfa and pics of course ;)

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Thanks Terminator. That’s a great point, maybe I can use it to my advantage. The wife wants a sunroof, but I guess the only other must haves are sports exhaust, dynamic ride control, comfort package, matrix headlights. Most cars come with these. Is there anything else I really should have? She’s not a Nardo fan either (apparently it's road coloured and therefore dangerous) that cuts out a lot of cars.

As for the Alfa - it’s a wonderful car but not especially practical hence the Audi. Only 4 seats, smallish boot, can’t put the back seats down. Kids moan it’s uncomfortable on long trips, but they are wrong. 10cm ground clearance and a £3k active carbon splitter the first thing that hits the speed bump isn't great when you commute into London.

The engine is fantastic, really very exciting. The handling is off the clock, it feels like a proper sports car to drive. I don't want to go into Audi bashing (especially on here) but this is the biggest difference between it and the S3. By comparison the S3 was an understeering boat. I have tracked it twice and it was enormous fun and you could really drive the wheels off it. It's a very comfortable car (for me) for commuting and the drive modes are super useful. One criticism is that it's not very configurable, you just get 4 preset modes, but they all have a very different feel and all have their place - I like it. On the downsides (in addition to the lack of practicality) the interior is lovely and minimalist, but just doesn't feel as high quality as a modern Audi. The infotainment works but is at least a generation behind the Germans. These things don't really bother me, I want a driver's car that it certainly is. The "4 door Ferrari" thing is bounded about a fair bit and I think that's spot on. The big question is "has it broken down?" Answer is no. I've had zero problems in 18 months and 25,000 miles. There have been some high profile problems with some long term press cars, but they were all the same issue and seem to affect a batch of cars made around the same time - good one Alfa. There are examples on the forums of owners having serious issues but I think you get small numbers of cases with all cars. The consistent problem though is the dealers, by and large they are terrible, so if a problem occurs the chances are you're going to be in for a bumpy ride with parts taking weeks to arrive from Italy and you getting a Fiat Punto to tide you over. Personally I think the car is worth the risk. Pics to prove it's real..
Alfa 1
Alfa track day 1
Alfa track day 2

Reactions: SPIKE_, BarryG79 and Terminator x
Thanks for that, love the Alfa.

I have some options on the 4 that I didn't have on the 3 and tbf now I have them it would be a killer not to have them on the next car! Hill hold assist, folding mirrors, matrix lights front (need that for dynamic indicators on front), upgraded internal led's, TPS, sports exhaust, comfort + sound pack ...

Standard seats are amazing so much better than even the super sports on the 3. Mine are electric, another option!

TX.

Reactions: NickyF and NevMan
Hate nardo myself. Id order merlin purple if i had the money. The Porsche Riveria Blue one on the trader looks amazing though

Just a quick update to say by B9 RS4 dream is over for the short term. You can’t factory order (due to WLTP), there are very few new cars around (those that are all are coming in at £75k on the road with options I don’t want), there are no Daytona cars that was my preferred colour, there seems to be no discounts or dealer contributions (I had carwow offers of £0 off!). 68 reg will be out in a few weeks, and there’s a facelift in the offing. All in all, not a great time to buy! Hopefully I’ll be back (unless I get distracted by something else shiny in the mean time). Good luck guys and enjoy your lovely cars.

Reactions: NevMan
The face-lift A4 is hardly any different tbf however the other points all stand!

TX.

Reactions: NevMan
Thanks Terminator. That’s a great point, maybe I can use it to my advantage. The wife wants a sunroof, but I guess the only other must haves are sports exhaust, dynamic ride control, comfort package, matrix headlights. Most cars come with these. Is there anything else I really should have? She’s not a Nardo fan either (apparently it's road coloured and therefore dangerous) that cuts out a lot of cars.

As for the Alfa - it’s a wonderful car but not especially practical hence the Audi. Only 4 seats, smallish boot, can’t put the back seats down. Kids moan it’s uncomfortable on long trips, but they are wrong. 10cm ground clearance and a £3k active carbon splitter the first thing that hits the speed bump isn't great when you commute into London.

The engine is fantastic, really very exciting. The handling is off the clock, it feels like a proper sports car to drive. I don't want to go into Audi bashing (especially on here) but this is the biggest difference between it and the S3. By comparison the S3 was an understeering boat. I have tracked it twice and it was enormous fun and you could really drive the wheels off it. It's a very comfortable car (for me) for commuting and the drive modes are super useful. One criticism is that it's not very configurable, you just get 4 preset modes, but they all have a very different feel and all have their place - I like it. On the downsides (in addition to the lack of practicality) the interior is lovely and minimalist, but just doesn't feel as high quality as a modern Audi. The infotainment works but is at least a generation behind the Germans. These things don't really bother me, I want a driver's car that it certainly is. The "4 door Ferrari" thing is bounded about a fair bit and I think that's spot on. The big question is "has it broken down?" Answer is no. I've had zero problems in 18 months and 25,000 miles. There have been some high profile problems with some long term press cars, but they were all the same issue and seem to affect a batch of cars made around the same time - good one Alfa. There are examples on the forums of owners having serious issues but I think you get small numbers of cases with all cars. The consistent problem though is the dealers, by and large they are terrible, so if a problem occurs the chances are you're going to be in for a bumpy ride with parts taking weeks to arrive from Italy and you getting a Fiat Punto to tide you over. Personally I think the car is worth the risk. Pics to prove it's real..
View attachment 161558 View attachment 161559 View attachment 161561

Lovely looking car the Alfa. I’m considering getting one to replace my Audi RS3. It’s between that and the RS4 so interested to get your feedback on practicality. Got our first child on the way and thought the boot looked ok when I took a brief look in the dealers. Although anything is better than the RS3. I know the RS4 will be more practical but with the ordering debacle and the fact I’m half Italian the Guila QV is starting to win me over. We have done trips to Germany, Austria and Italy before and wonder whether with bub in tow the Alfa would be big enough?

The boot is an OK size, but it’s a saloon so it’s never going to be anywhere like as big as an Avant. I think the new ones come with fold down seats and a third rear belt, plus another 20mm of ride height (good for speed bumps, bad for looks), so Alfa have realised these things were costing sales. I’ve got two kids and at the moment it’s our family car. It does fine. The RS4 was for the wife (and me sort of). The Alfa drives and feels like a sports car, but an RS4 would be a lot more useful. I like the fact that you’re considering cool cars (not a stupid SUV) when you’re expecting a baby, good work. I had an M3 when my first was born.

I’m somewhat ashamed to admit I’ve just ordered a 340i Touring. Not in the same league as an RS4, but after discount it was half the price (almost) came with 1.9% apr pcp and more importantly, I could order it. I’m expecting to be banned from Audi-sport.net any moment.

Thanks, that’s what I’ve heard rear rear seats which is a bonus. I’m sure 480 liters is big enough for a family cruise around Europe - as long as it takes two cases a pram and other assorted kiddy tut it will be fine. Still like the RS4 mind you.

The SUV just can’t be entertained. A saloon is my sensible family choice - nice that it has 500ho

I think the Alfa will be easily big enough for you. I've been on holiday with it a couple of time and the boot has taken a surprisingly large amount of stuff. Big suitcases are a no no but you can get loads of flexible bags in there. The Audi will be way more practical though and just as fast. It's not a Ferrari in drag though...