Reverse Camera

Oddie

Reaction score
Afternoon all.

I was bored last week and decided to buy myself a reverse camera. Fitted it over the weekend and I have to say I am massively impressed ! It was a bit of a pain to route the cables from the trunk to the nav but apart from that it was straight forward.

I opted for a Sony CCD 520 TVL camera, the quality of the image is brilliant !

Just thought i would let you all know :)

Ditto on the pics.... camera fitted and also an image, cheers

Sorry fellas, didn't get chance to take any pictures with this miserable weather ! Once i get chance i will get the pictures uploaded. The quality of the camera has been superb even with this horrible rain, the camera doesn't seem to get any water on it at all. Probably because of the shape of the bootlid just covering the camera.

sweet, wat headunit are u using to have a reverse cam? been looking at ones on ebay oem look so i can watch dvds n that

That stereo looks pretty decent. Does it work with mfsw? You got any issues? Thanks in advance, matt

Hi mate
I'm gonna do this mod in the near future, which route did you use for the cables to the head unit?
cheers....Rik.

Matthew, the unit works really well with the MFSW. Only slight issue is that for some reason my clocks do not display any track information anymore but that doesn't bother me at all. Really happy with it. Bluetooth quality is really good as well.

Raw Audi, the camera i purchased is one that goes into one of the number plate light holders. I just run the wires to the bottom of the bootlid, through the grommet into the body of the car inside the boot, and then from there i ran them underneath the rear bench and then hidden it underneath the passenger side trim. Behind the glovebox and then into the headunit. Quite straight forward really, few little niggly bits.

Bez, google iceboxauto. They are based in Liverpool and supplied my unit miles cheaper than the one i linked earlier on, nice guys to deal with as well

Thanks. I've just ordered a similar camera from e-bay, if it works it'll be a nice addition to the new HU I'm getting this week, if not ..it didn't cost the earth. :)

Wich price can you fix it for us, when you say much cheaper? i got an Dynavin unit but maybe i change to this one :D

Only slight issue is that for some reason my clocks do not display any track information anymore
That's because, AFAIK, there is no third party radio that generates the messages on the Infotainment CAN bus to make the information appear on the DIS - which is how it gets there from the Audi OEM radios and RNS-E.

Bez, thats a completely different unit, this is the unit i got from iceboxauto

2 Din DVD/GPS Player For Audi A4 (DVB-T Optional) | eBay

I got it from them even cheaper than that. I went and picked it up. If you are interested i am sure they will do you a deal.

Petrol Dave, that is what i was told RE the information on the DIS. I fitted this exact unit for a friend on his 2004 A3 and his displays the information on the MFD ! Only difference was that his car used a different wiring loom to mine, his was the older ISO style plugs.

Bez, thats a completely different unit, this is the unit i got from iceboxauto

2 Din DVD/GPS Player For Audi A4 (DVB-T Optional) | eBay

I got it from them even cheaper than that. I went and picked it up. If you are interested i am sure they will do you a deal.

Petrol Dave, that is what i was told RE the information on the DIS. I fitted this exact unit for a friend on his 2004 A3 and his displays the information on the MFD ! Only difference was that his car used a different wiring loom to mine, his was the older ISO style plugs.

right i thought yours had the dvb-t aswell
ill give them a call

right i thought yours had the dvb-t aswell
ill give them a call

No mate, that is an optional extra on the units. It wasn't dear at all for the extra DVB-T antenna, i just wasn't sure how much i would use it. For an overall cost of around £350 I have got a double din unit that does sat nav (which is fantastic by the way), bluetooth phone, iPod connectivity, DVD player, USB input, Auxiliary input, SD Card input, Radio, CD player, Rear camera..

Really happy with mine.

Would that be an 8L A3, not an 8P A3?

Had mine fitted & it certainly comes in handy when parking in tight spots! A word of warning for anybody buying the type that's powered by the reverse light bulb ...be prepared to fit a suppressor to the +\- feeds to neutralise any striping caused by interference.

View attachment 7499

Had mine fitted & it certainly comes in handy when parking in tight spots! A word of warning for anybody buying the type that's powered by the reverse light bulb ...be prepared to fit a suppressor to the +\- feeds to neutralise any striping caused by interference.

View attachment 7499

What type of suppressor did you use? I fitted a camera in mine ,image is fine if engine isnt running, but as soon as i start the engine the image becomes all strippy and wavvy!

What type of suppressor did you use? I fitted a camera in mine ,image is fine if engine isnt running, but as soon as i start the engine the image becomes all strippy and wavvy!
Mine displayed the same thing, perfect with the engine off, stripey & jumping when started up.

As much as I dislike Halfrauds, they came through on this one! I tried Maplins first, but they just looked at me like I was E.T.

It's quite big for its purpose, so you'll probably need to cable tie it down! fit it between the cam & its power\earth connections. Good Luck.

I didn't need to wire mine into the reverse lights at all. I think that is down to the head unit though because on the back of the HU I have two wires which are for rear connectivity, i had to connect these together which essentially tells the car that i have a rear cam or parking sensors installed. The unit then automatically switches to the cam/parking sensors when reverse is engaged. I just needed a live, ground and the video jack for my camera.

:thumbsup:

Mine also has a second video input, but on the '09 A3 at least, the reverse light is the only place to guarantee a live feed to power the cam when needed ...and it turns out it's "dirty".

Artimus, got a suppressor from halfrauds today.did you just wire it in to the cam live and earth before it connect to the reverse light feed? And did it matter which way round it was wired?

Artimus, got a suppressor from halfrauds today.did you just wire it in to the cam live and earth before it connect to the reverse light feed? And did it matter which way round it was wired?
Pretty much, yes... Positive between the cam + & reverse light, Negative between cam - & boot lid (which is earthed).

The 4 leads on mine were labeled - read HU\Radio\Audio (can't remember exactly) as Camera & Input as Reverse Light\Boot Lid. I'm not sure if it will work backwards, but if it doesn't you probably have it wrong.

Suppressor fitted, works a treat, only issue now is to sort out the camera to come on when i select reverse, ran a feed from the reverse light to connect up to the back of the stereo only to find out that the wire for the rear cam sensor is missing! Never straight forward is it😠

Hi Oddie - I have the same unit on my car but the sound always has a muted symbol when reverse parking. Is it supposed to 'beep' when getting too close. (I bought with it already fitted)

Thanks pal

Suppressor fitted, works a treat, only issue now is to sort out the camera to come on when i select reverse, ran a feed from the reverse light to connect up to the back of the stereo only to find out that the wire for the rear cam sensor is missing! Never straight forward is it������

Sorry to re-hash an old thread but just doing this mod myself and need some clarification. Is there a reverse light power feed accessible in the dash area or do you need to run power from the reverse light back to the head unit to allow it to detect reverse?

I took the power for my camera from the reverse light feed so it will only power up when reverse is selected,then ran the aux cable and reverse sensor cable through from the back along the sill and up to behind the head unit, my head unit is a kenwood dnx 7220 which has rear camera output in it, so it was just a case of plugging it in and changing a few settings in the head unit menu.
Hope this helps