Reverse camera

Reaction score
Hi, I'm fairly new to the forum and I couldn't find what I was looking for. I bought a 2014 audi a3 hatchback and I wanted to install a reverse camera/dashcam on the outside. How do I come about it ? Is it the case of removing the numberplate or boot opener to wire it or would I need to drill a hole in the back?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210330-213815_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210330-213815_Gallery.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 95
I recently installed a reverse camera on my 2015 sportback the hard job was to remove the back door handle it was really painful job and made me want to break it but finally after 1.5 hour I remove it but after that you park like a pro best retrofit(kit from Ali express) for me

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

I recently installed a reverse camera on my 2015 sportback the hard job was to remove the back door handle it was really painful job and made me want to break it but finally after 1.5 hour I remove it but after that you park like a pro best retrofit(kit from Ali express) for me

So no need to drill a hole? Just get the cable through the boot door handle?

No you don't need to drill nothing

So, what kits are you using from Ali express and do you use the existing pop-up screen or fit an additional one? Got any links?

I had to use the 5.8 Inc screen but the kit is support both of them now 5.8 and 7 Inc I'm on Rsnav now and I Remove it because I'm using the camera that provides the rsnav
The link for camera
https://a.aliexpress.com/_vnDbWH

Reactions: Steve D
Hi, I'm fairly new to the forum and I couldn't find what I was looking for. I bought a 2014 audi a3 hatchback and I wanted to install a reverse camera/dashcam on the outside. How do I come about it ? Is it the case of removing the numberplate or boot opener to wire it or would I need to drill a hole in the back?
Theres a full retrofit guide here

Would someone have a link to the android auto since of I'm meant to install this then I might aswel spend a bit extra and get the full kit in one go. Maybe an ali-express link since many people recommend it but not sure how reliable they are and also their return policy if anything is not working

Would someone have a link to the android auto since of I'm meant to install this then I might aswel spend a bit extra and get the full kit in one go. Maybe an ali-express link since many people recommend it but not sure how reliable they are and also their return policy if anything is not working
Theres a good thread about thay here

I got so mad and I just destroyed it .. no point keeping it becuse I 've installed with cam one..

I agree, I took the hatch release off my previous 8P hatch and it was a pain but 'doable' if you are patient and half useful. - there is a lot in the hatch! it's just as much work to fit the new handle so you don't really gain anything by resorting to breaking it out!
I bought this rear view camera and it works a treat on my 2017 FL S3 saloon, it came fully adapted, I am sure they will do one for the Hatch.
This is for the car which does not need the ECU in the boot area, you will need to find out which type of camera you need, I bought the loom for the one with the ECU and didn't need it if you do give me a shout. (I am sure we can come to some arrangement)
I used this 'how too guide' and it was a great help.
Audi A3 8V Reverse Camera (high) DIY Retrofit Guide (click here to download pdf)
to open the password is: audi-sport.net
There are also several threads with loads of useful reading if you use the search feature.
Use them in conjunction with the workshop wiring diagrams and you will be fine.
My biggest struggle was removing the trim to route the cables through the car, for me it was awful the noises it made as it came out, but I got there in the end.
If I can be any help give me a shout, the scars are still fresh!

Last edited:
I was thinking of also getting android auto with the reverse camera, is it reliable and what things do I need to buy ? I won't be able to install this myself but a garage will be happy to fit it for £65. So if someone could provide me with links for all the equipment needed then I will be very grateful