Reversing camera options

maxpayne

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Hopefully I'm doing a double DIN conversion very soon (courtesy of @NHN ) and fitting a CarPlay unit.
I was wondering now that there's more up to date setup, there's no reason why I shouldn't fit a reversing camera also :)

When it comes to the kits available, there are primarily two types:
  1. One that replaces of the number plate lights, e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153080882656
  2. One that replaces the boot handle itself, e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182235611873
I'm currently considering 2. as the solution, as as with 1. I can think of a few disadvantages:
(a) The LED may not be a 100% match to the ice white ones @t8ups supplies
(b) If the LEDs fails I'm not sure if they can be replaced easily?
(c) Any side effects of the camera being placed in an awkward position/OCD haha​

For 2. I've noted that there are wireless units too, which saves me form what foreseeably is a painful wiring exercise - but I'm worried that the wireless units might introduce noise for the video itself/FM (as the antenna amplifier is in the back)?

What's your experience with reversing cameras? Which type did you go for and what would you recommend?

Cheers.

That boot handle one won't fit the 8p. You need the 110mm x 30mm handle.
£15.76 31%OFF | LS8005SMT Car Rear View Camera for Audi A3 A4 A6L S5 Q7 Auto Trunk Handle Backup Parking Rearview Camera HD Night Vision
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bMMCh6Az

Thats the one fitted to my car.

Personally wouldn't go with the number plate light pretty much for the reasons you mentioned plus the handle cam looks oem, Audi fit them in the handle not the plate lights.

Forget wireless imo

Reactions: maxpayne
That boot handle one won't fit the 8p. You need the 110mm x 30mm handle.
£15.76 31%OFF | LS8005SMT Car Rear View Camera for Audi A3 A4 A6L S5 Q7 Auto Trunk Handle Backup Parking Rearview Camera HD Night Vision
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bMMCh6Az

Thats the one fitted to my car.

Personally wouldn't go with the number plate light pretty much for the reasons you mentioned plus the handle cam looks oem, Audi fit them in the handle not the plate lights.

Forget wireless imo

NTSC or PAL?

I fitted a cheap eBay sourced camera for about £14 and that included the cables reqd. It’s the one that fits in place of the no plate lamp. Works well for about 3 years now. Allow about 5 hours to do the job, it’s not difficult, just lots of trim to remove.
It was hard to find a matching led lamp to match the one in the camera but got there in the end.
If you change the whole boot handle I can see that will be an even longer job, all day I reckon.

I chose pal, but I doubt it makes any difference.

Boot handle isn't much longer to fit. One benefit is that you don't need to drill to fit the cables through

Option 3, get the OEM boot handlh with camera holder as used on Audi A6 Saloon vehicles. Then fit your camera into where the OEM one goes...

I chose pal, but I doubt it makes any difference.

Boot handle isn't much longer to fit. One benefit is that you don't need to drill to fit the cables through

Camera ordered!

@samisnake God knows how many items I’ve bought so far from AliExpress because of you lol.

So what’s the recommendation for running the wires? And how much was the effort?

Cheers.

Lol the items sell themselves, I'm just the messenger.

Behind glove box, up a pillar behind trim, tucked along the roof lining out towards the boot Then go through the rubber grommet into the boot. Obviously that's over simplified but thats the jist. Tip to get the wire through , the 5m long cable they supply if you cut off a bit near the end you can resolder the wires after you fed the through to the boot. Makes things so much easier.

The black plastic bar thing that the plate lights and handle attach to is held on by 2 nuts. Tricky to get at but you can remove both and the whole assembly will come out. I found it helpful to remove the numberplate lights beforehand.
The handle is held in with 2 torx screws. Replace and done. The wiring on the camera end goes through a preexisting hole in the black bar and into the boot recess to connect to the other wires.

To power it depends on how your headunit is setup.
Are you using a Canbus adapter that automatically switches to the camera feed on your headunit when in reverse?

To me it wasn't much effort as I'd done the same thing on my last car.
I took about an hour or so in total, but allow for 3 if its your first time

Reactions: maxpayne
That’s really helpful. TVM!
I do have a Connects2 CANBUS adapter and the HU should know to power the video feed automatically or so I hope

Ah youre good then.

I powered the camera off of the rear wiper motor. It's an ignition live.

As above and connect the chassis -ve. wire to the proper chassis stud on the right hand side of the hatch lid.
To avoid cutting the camera cable -----
pull off the rubber gaiter at both ends so you can straighten it,
feed a stiff piece of wire through the gaiter and try not to entangle the existing wires with the stiff wire,
tape the cable to the stiff wire and make it smooth,
smother the taped part of the joint with talcum powder,
gently pull the cable through the gaiter, the talc will act as a lubricant between the sticky tape and the rubber.

Reactions: maxpayne and samisnake
The reversing camera has made it to the fair shores of Blighty.

However I’ve been slapped with import duty (fair enough) and Royal Mail handling charge of £8. Really WTF! This on a £22 item!

Yes, you’re just unlucky with the tax this time. I’ve never had to pay any yet, no doubt the time will come when I will have to pay, when we exit the EU.