Reviews

You might be right there. Afaik one of the German tuners already has one at over 600hp but it could be a piggy back device not a map.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Most likely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll not get soot or pitting on the new RS3 exhaust because of the opf and also because the exhaust is detached from the exhaust embellisher
They could have easily enclosed/semi enclosed a full exhaust into the rear diffuser if they wanted too they do/done it with other RS cars ....cost cutting
R8 is the same set up re exhaust tips, both sets on my two cars did corrode and both cars were less than 3 years old when I bought them with very low miles (R8V8 3000 at 3 years old) I was pretty anal trying to keep them looking nice, two things really pi** me off with VW/Audi, corroded tailpipes and rusty corroded brake discs/bells
The beauty of the tailpipes fitted into the rear PU/bumper is they can be changed, however, on the R8 it was still rear PU/bumper removal to get them off and they were still megga expensive for what they were

I demo'd an RS3 yesterday so I should put what I thought under reviews.
These were my initial thoughts comparing the RS3 to my current Golf 7.5R.

The RS3 was Quieter on engine and road noise, my R can sound a little 'mechanical' when pushed hard, also the engine was smoother as if the extra cylinder balanced things out and maybe the engine mounts are higher quality? The exhaust is very quiet at normal road speeds, i'm 70% convinced some noise is coming through the speakers, it's noticable when changing modes where the noise appears to come from

The STronic (mine is 7 speed as well) has smoother, better programmed changes than I am used of in the Golf

The suspension is better/nicely damped over bad roads, my golf feels under damped in 'comfort' and too hard in the other settings of Normal and Race on our crap roads,
The steering was lighter? I didn’t like that at first, I tried a few settings and eventually turned my attention to other aspects of the car, this feeling probably stopped me from pushing the car too hard, plus the fact we were in the middle of Storm Barra and there were huge puddles and tree c*ap everywhere. The car kept putting alarms up, Slippy road and reduced visibilty

lane assist was a PITA when crossing white lines, so turned that off, It gave a horrible feeling of the car 'jumping' over the road camber, I hope it was the lane assist doing that and not the wider front track and added negative camber, 911's used to do that when people turbo arched the front and then fitted either spacers or huge offset wheels.

Not hugely quicker? But, it only had 70 miles on it so maybe restricted through ecu? there again my Golf runs a Superchip at about 350/360hp so its fairly lively anyhow. I was a little disappointed power wise, but it may have been the sophistication and the ease of performance spoiling me? I certainly wasn’t shouting WOW and looking amazed like AHR was in his video

I did a short spell of Wifey type driving just to see how it felt and what mpg it would return under normal, just keeping with the traffic flow type stuff, mixed 30 to 70mph dual carriageway stuff, looks like it will return around 30-32mpg, just remember it was cold (they always do less in the cold) and the car had only done 70 miles.

The car felt very comfortable, sophisticated, premium and a notch above our Golf, quieter/smoother and probably quicker

Reactions: RS03???, Waq1, Rs31981 and 1 other person
I demo'd an RS3 yesterday so I should put what I thought under reviews.
These were my initial thoughts comparing the RS3 to my current Golf 7.5R.

The RS3 was Quieter on engine and road noise, my R can sound a little 'mechanical' when pushed hard, also the engine was smoother as if the extra cylinder balanced things out and maybe the engine mounts are higher quality? The exhaust is very quiet at normal road speeds, i'm 70% convinced some noise is coming through the speakers, it's noticable when changing modes where the noise appears to come from

The STronic (mine is 7 speed as well) has smoother, better programmed changes than I am used of in the Golf

The suspension is better/nicely damped over bad roads, my golf feels under damped in 'comfort' and too hard in the other settings of Normal and Race on our crap roads,
The steering was lighter? I didn’t like that at first, I tried a few settings and eventually turned my attention to other aspects of the car, this feeling probably stopped me from pushing the car too hard, plus the fact we were in the middle of Storm Barra and there were huge puddles and tree c*ap everywhere. The car kept putting alarms up, Slippy road and reduced visibilty

lane assist was a PITA when crossing white lines, so turned that off, It gave a horrible feeling of the car 'jumping' over the road camber, I hope it was the lane assist doing that and not the wider front track and added negative camber, 911's used to do that when people turbo arched the front and then fitted either spacers or huge offset wheels.

Not hugely quicker? But, it only had 70 miles on it so maybe restricted through ecu? there again my Golf runs a Superchip at about 350/360hp so its fairly lively anyhow. I was a little disappointed power wise, but it may have been the sophistication and the ease of performance spoiling me? I certainly wasn’t shouting WOW and looking amazed like AHR was in his video

I did a short spell of Wifey type driving just to see how it felt and what mpg it would return under normal, just keeping with the traffic flow type stuff, mixed 30 to 70mph dual carriageway stuff, looks like it will return around 30-32mpg, just remember it was cold (they always do less in the cold) and the car had only done 70 miles.

The car felt very comfortable, sophisticated, premium and a notch above our Golf, quieter/smoother and probably quicker
Good right up mate,
I have a slight different opinion my 7.5 running up 370 break Felt noticeably flat compared to the 8y did make me grin just keeps pulling,
And found that the seats were the only thing premium compare to the 7.5.

Reactions: Mike.46
Good right up mate,
I have a slight different opinion my 7.5 running up 370 break Felt noticeably flat compared to the 8y did make me grin just keeps pulling,
And found that the seats were the only thing premium compare to the 7.5.
The performance did surprise me a little, I did drive a Golf 8R with even lower mileage and that had restricted boost, from memory it showed around 1.3bar on my first demo and 1.55bar on my second demo (I asked for another demo as the first time it just flashed ESC lights at me and I couldnt find the ESC Sport/OFF in the disaster that is the new infotainment mess) I do wonder whether they have restricted performance up to xx miles or maybe it had a tank full of E10 95 fuel?

I felt an hour or so wasnt long enough to properly explore all the options etc especially in the weather we were out in :sweatdrops::scared2:

Reactions: RS03??? and Rs31981
The performance did surprise me a little, I did drive a Golf 8R with even lower mileage and that had restricted boost, from memory it showed around 1.3bar on my first demo and 1.55bar on my second demo (I asked for another demo as the first time it just flashed ESC lights at me and I couldnt find the ESC Sport/OFF in the disaster that is the new infotainment mess) I do wonder whether they have restricted performance up to xx miles or maybe it had a tank full of E10 95 fuel?

I felt an hour or so wasnt long enough to properly explore all the options etc especially in the weather we were out in :sweatdrops::scared2:

95 unleaded vs 99 will make a difference too.

My 8V Daza engined car always performed better on momentum 99.

Reactions: Waq1
76464030 3A58 4BED 9718 73568DE752CC

Joe A comments below and says it’s the best RS he’s driven...can’t and won’t ever please everyone

It’s kicking off in the comments section now

Reactions: FBF01
Good link thanks, but, a little pointless as it was shifting the power around drawing silly spikes, I dont think I would have posted that if it was my dyno work?

Good link thanks, but, a little pointless as it was shifting the power around drawing silly spikes, I dont think I would have posted that if it was my dyno work?

Yup when I was on Perons Dyno it’s a linked rollers one.

Reactions: NevMan
NO WAY! I was going this weekend to be the first one to get one dynoed! That will be that then haha

You might still be the first to get a proper one done, this one seemed a little rough.

Reactions: Waq1 and Mike.46
Lol missed oppo for Tech in the car

I am sure that everyone wants more than one dyno. I am hoping to get the car back next week and take it to one; and maybe try some drifting.

NO WAY! I was going this weekend to be the first one to get one dynoed! That will be that then haha

If you go yours will still be the first worthwhile result from the looks of the evolve video.

Fair play they posted it but it gave fairly meaningless results imho.

Feel free to post yours up when you get the chance

Reactions: billymc92, garethdj and 3vans
Well, I managed to head out in my local dealerships demo car today for about three hours. I know there’s plenty of opinions and reviews but thought I’d throw mine into the mix. In case anyone missed it, the car is a Turbo Blue Frankenstein spec saloon for reference.

I managed a mix of town, back roads and dual carriageway driving to try to get a feel for how it was in all the situations I could think of.

I really liked the drive, you can genuinely notice the rear diff doing its thing in RS Performance mode as well as dynamic. I did feel like it was still likely to understeer a bit if you’re off the power when you throw it into a corner because the diff can’t really do much to help you at that point. Being on summer tyres in damp, 3° temperatures really won’t have helped either, with none of the tyres getting above 19°…

I think I might be the only one so far to say this, but I didn’t come away from it thinking ‘I can’t wait for mine to arrive!’. I came away thinking ‘is it worth £60k with the A3 interior, despite the drivetrain?’.

It ticks all the boxes. Size, acceleration, braking, cornering, sound, etc. were all spot on but I just didn’t get the ‘fizz’ I expected. Not going to cancel my order just yet or anything, I’m just going to have to have a think I reckon.

Reactions: Jassyo06, Rs31981, FBF01 and 4 others
Well, I managed to head out in my local dealerships demo car today for about three hours. I know there’s plenty of opinions and reviews but thought I’d throw mine into the mix. In case anyone missed it, the car is a Turbo Blue Frankenstein spec saloon for reference.

I managed a mix of town, back roads and dual carriageway driving to try to get a feel for how it was in all the situations I could think of.

I really liked the drive, you can genuinely notice the rear diff doing its thing in RS Performance mode as well as dynamic. I did feel like it was still likely to understeer a bit if you’re off the power when you throw it into a corner because the diff can’t really do much to help you at that point. Being on summer tyres in damp, 3° temperatures really won’t have helped either, with none of the tyres getting above 19°…

I think I might be the only one so far to say this, but I didn’t come away from it thinking ‘I can’t wait for mine to arrive!’. I came away thinking ‘is it worth £60k with the A3 interior, despite the drivetrain?’.

It ticks all the boxes. Size, acceleration, braking, cornering, sound, etc. were all spot on but I just didn’t get the ‘fizz’ I expected. Not going to cancel my order just yet or anything, I’m just going to have to have a think I reckon.

I must admit, this week I’ve considered cancelling my order.

• Wow
Reactions: FBF01, Mr Freeze, NevMan and 2 others

I don’t want to be negative about it, I just can’t put my finger on what I feel is missing!

It’s ballistically fast and fun and I’m sure it could keep up with most things on a twist road while sounding good at the same time (despite the OPF). I don’t know if it was partly the VC layouts that bugged me? Don’t know.

Reactions: Jassyo06, Mike.46, NevMan and 2 others
Not what I want to hear!

TX.

Reactions: FBF01 and Daggerit
Not what I want to hear!

TX.

Don’t worry too much about it, it’s just my opinion!

Give it a drive when you’re able and see what you think. There’s nothing ‘wrong’ with it that I found, so I find it weird I wasn’t more excited by it.

Reactions: Jassyo06, FBF01, Mike.46 and 1 other person
@Daggerit I will drive my local demo car when it arrives, hopefully no more than a few weeks away.

TX.

Reactions: Daggerit
The Chris Harris effect?

Reactions: Jassyo06, FBF01, Terminator x and 1 other person
The Chris Harris effect?

That had crossed my mind! I don’t think so though, I don’t usually give too much weight to journalists really, I like to drive and try to make my own mind up. Hopefully it wasn’t in my subconscious!

Reactions: Jassyo06
Whats brought you to consider cancelling mate

Dunno, feeling a bit indifferent towards the 8Y now, has it moved on significantly enough to justify the cost, the long wait may get the better of me and could quite easily go and buy something else in the interim.

Reactions: Jassyo06, FBF01 and Mr Freeze
That had crossed my mind! I don’t think so though, I don’t usually give too much weight to journalists really, I like to drive and try to make my own mind up. Hopefully it wasn’t in my subconscious!

Similar thoughts, then I checked on what else I wished for had similar or uncommitted delivery schedule.

Reactions: Jassyo06, Daggerit and garethdj

Was it the Crewe demo car?

I must admit to getting back in our Golf and not being dissapointed like I thought I would be, I do that with Motorcycle demo, I learn more on my decision as to buy or not when I jump back on my own bike,

Similar thoughts, then I checked on what else I wished for had similar or uncommitted delivery schedule.

I just can’t come up with anything else exciting in the same price bracket that I actually want…

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Rs31981
Was it the Crewe demo car?

I must admit to getting back in our Golf and not being dissapointed like I thought I would be, I do that with Motorcycle demo, I learn more on my decision as to buy or not when I jump back on my own bike,

Crewe demo ? Sorry I don’t follow ?

Reactions: Mike.46