Revo remap stage 1 - Is TCU/DSG map worth it?

Hendy

Reaction score
Researching for remap, likely going to get it next month, and will likely go for Revo as there is one about 30mins away and I haven't read or heard anything bad about it so far.

The main question is......Is the TCU/DSG map worth the money if only going to stage 1.

£599+vat for stage 1 and £399+vat for DSG map, so all in around the £1200 mark for both.

Feedback and experience welcome

I'd be interested in people's thoughts on this as well - I'm considering this but might not be until next year.

I went for a stage 1 apr map at my local dealer yesterday, I was again like yourself only going for the remap and not the gearbox software. After speaking to the mapper and owner of ecotune (in Scotland) he advised me to go for it. Not only because Apr had a sale on so I got it for less, but it also meant the software update gives the clutch plate in the box more pressure thus preventing the chance of the clutch slipping and allowed him to increase the torque on the map.
I went for it on the basis alone that it helped prolong the life of my clutch in the s tronic box. I definitely walked out the garage alot lighter in the pocket

The car made 391bhp with 416lbs/ft torque on a stage 1 map so I'm extremely happy!

Reactions: FBF01
I went for a stage 1 apr map at my local dealer yesterday, I was again like yourself only going for the remap and not the gearbox software. After speaking to the mapper and owner of ecotune (in Scotland) he advised me to go for it. Not only because Apr had a sale on so I got it for less, but it also meant the software update gives the clutch plate in the box more pressure thus preventing the chance of the clutch slipping and allowed him to increase the torque on the map.
I went for it on the basis alone that it helped prolong the life of my clutch in the s tronic box. I definitely walked out the garage alot lighter in the pocket

The car made 391bhp with 416lbs/ft torque on a stage 1 map so I'm extremely happy!
What is your opinion about APR TCU- tune? Some have criticized it to be jerky in some situations. Especially in coming to stop 2. to 1 gears. For example Revo says in their TCU- tune: 2nd gear is held unless you come to a stop.

Have you 6-speed DSG? I'm thinking which one (APR or Revo) to choose for my 6-speed.

Do you mind if I ask you how much it set you back overall?

Not looked into it yet and wont be getting it for some time but would be interesting to know how much it is. The figures are very impressive

I was going to go to ecotune Hillington branch (Glasgow/Scotland), (not sure which one you went to, and don't want to worry you) but then heard of 3 cars with engines/components going within days, all in the space of a month after being in for the APR tunes, apparently as they were trying to push the figures as far as they could and it was causing issues.

Understand this may be a one off (well 3) but it did worry me enough to avoid them.

My car is the 6 speed dsg.

I went to the same place, Ecotune in Hillington. I went with a friend who was having his mind RS focus mapped so he kind of talked me into it. I can say I haven't heard of any of these stories, what components went wrong?
My car went on the roller 2nd so I had plenty of time to talk to the owner Stan and the other guys and from what I heard and what we spoke about I didn't have a problem letting them work on my car.

First of all I didn't just get a map alone, I got VW Racingline intake with VW intake hose and VW turbo elbow. And uprated IKH 24 spark plugs to bring the temp in the head down. Then I went for the DSG software as we spoke about it at length and he gave me a deal on the whole if I took it.

The car was dynod with just the filter and plugs and it made a healthy 313bhp. Then the maps where loaded.

Jussi - I have only been driving the car 2 days with the new software and at low speed going down 1st and 2nd I can notice subtle differences like going from 2nd to 1st seems to happen early then normal but when I say subtle it's very minimal. In manual it holds the gears as long as u want. In sports mode going for it in 1st is lethal, it actually bounces twice of the limiter now before throwing you back and changing so fast into 2nd your already going at an unbelievable speed. And with it all the turbo spool doesn't drop when changing so when you up a gear you don't have any lag it just keeps pulling.

Like a said I'm not trying to worry you, I'm sure they do good work and he was recommended by one of my other friends, most places have problems at one point or another and You are probably hard pushed to find a company with no disgruntled customers. It just so happened I heard these stories just before I was going to book in so it changed my mind.

Not 100% sure on full details so I wouldn't take these as gospel and maybe only 1 side to the story, but I was told a low mileage RS3 engine 'blew up' and a 3 series dpf 'nearly went on fire' and there was a large bill to sort both, obviously unaided by ecotune.

It doesn't worry me anyway Hendy, I'm aware of what could go wrong now the car is mapped and if anything did then I'll just have to deal with it. I certainly won't be driving it like a mad man possessed everytime I'm in it.

Reactions: Forbzeeee

On a stage 1 map?? That's wayyyy more than most peoples stage 1 maps i'm sure. That's like stage 2 kinda power.

REVO Stage 1 Software from 350ps to 375ps PS: from 350ps to 375ps
BHP: from 345bhp to 370bhp
KW: from 257kw to 276kw
Torque: from 330lbft to 360lbft

On a stage 1 map?? That's wayyyy more than most peoples stage 1 maps i'm sure. That's like stage 2 kinda power.

REVO Stage 1 Software from 350ps to 375ps PS: from 350ps to 375ps
BHP: from 345bhp to 370bhp
KW: from 257kw to 276kw
Torque: from 330lbft to 360lbft

Yep, they ran it 3 times after the map was loaded. The first run made 386bhp, then 391bhp and I think the last was 388bhp, can't remember the exact torque figures of the other 2 runs. The printouts are in the post as I forgot to take them when I left the garage.