Revo Stage 1

Speedy gonzales

Reaction score
Hi,

First time poster, long time lurker.

I've had my S4 for just over a year now and have finally decided to take the plunge and get it mapped. For me it was a toss up between MRC and Revo but I like the idea of being able to switch back to stock at will.

The car is booked into V-Hub this Saturday to get the work done so I'll update you with my opinions on the upgrade after I've had an opportunity to check it out.

A word of warning to anyone who's thinking of changing their v6t wing badges to 'supercharged' ones. It's a very slippery slope. It starts with wing badges, then you start thinking...Ooh wouldn't a new grill improve things and before you know you're looking at remaps, exhausts and intakes.

I'm not sure if the group buy is still on but I managed to get my name added to this one:

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/revo-remap-group-buy-discount.259969/#post-2640475

Reactions: Carlos85, Stu2w, Mav2912 and 3 others
A word of warning to anyone who's thinking of changing their v6t wing badges to 'supercharged' ones. It's a very slippery slope. It starts with wing badges, then you start thinking...Ooh wouldn't a new grill improve things and before you know you're looking at remaps, exhausts and intakes.

That's about right lol

I must have spent around 2.5k on my 8l a3 easily, then sold it for £1300 :S
already got around 3-4k worth of work planned for the s4, going to be spread over a couple of years though

That's a cracking deal with 20% discount @ revo.

I got the SPS too & it takes seconds to switch maps

Reactions: Revo Steve-W and rizzini7
Thanks. I thought it was a cracking deal as well, especially as the discount is off the pre-vat price.

I was tempted to go stage 1+ but thought it would be more difficult to insure using the main stream insurance companies.

My insurance was up for renewal at the end of Feb anyway, so I simply went on a price comparison website and selected engine remap up to 26%. The difference with and without the mod. was only £30 or £40.

Reactions: scotty76 and xpoweruk
good to know about the small hike on insurance :relieved:

26% peak power increase is a bit low for a stage 1 isn't it?

Based on the advertised gains, I worked out the increase in bhp to be just over 24%

415 - 333 = 82

82 / 333 * 100 = 24.62

Reactions: xpoweruk and scotty76
I had my 2013 3.0TDI remapped by V-Hub in December - what a difference. I don't know them that well but they seem a great bunch. I was there today to get the Auto Stop/Start switched off by default - it drove me insane. Now when I start the car the Auto Stop/Start disable button is illuminated by default. I left the instructions with them for future customers.

Just a side note on performance figures, the peak figures do not directly reflect how well a car either drives or performs in the real world. This is why Revo development is done on track and road, we spent over 18 months developing and testing the 3.0TFSi Stage 1 file around the world in many differing climates, conditions and on differing fuel qualities, then the redevelopment the software at a later date for the Stage 1+.
More about peak figures here and well worth a read - http://www.revotechnik.com/support/technical/peak-power-figures-explained
Also Rolling road explanation here - http://www.revotechnik.com/support/technical/rolling-roads-explained

On the 3.0TFSi, the Stage 1+ is an unquestionable upgrade, for the small upgrade cost and results seen in return taking it into true Super car territory.

Capture1

Reactions: Carlos85, Mav2912, S4_LEE and 3 others
Good point well made Steve. The advertised peak gain does not tell the full story.

I'm very pleased with the results of the stage 1 remap. The car now pulls harder and further up the rev range in every gear....I imagine the increased torque and power levels generated by stage 1+ puts a smile on your face every time you put your foot down and the rapid acceleration addictive (as if it isn't already!)

No doubt I'll be booking myself in at V-Hub and upgrading to 1+ in the not too distant future. It certainly looks like a very attractive proposition for the outlay.

Reactions: Mav2912, Chop., xpoweruk and 2 others
Presumably those Revo files only apply to the older S5s with the SIMOS 8 ECUs?

A word of warning to anyone who's thinking of changing their v6t wing badges to 'supercharged' ones. It's a very slippery slope. It starts with wing badges, then you start thinking...Ooh wouldn't a new grill improve things and before you know you're looking at remaps, exhausts and intakes

no idea what your talking about :tongueclosed:

Reactions: Meemo, scotty76 and xpoweruk
Simos 8 & 8.5. The latest is a Simos 16 ECU and we will be working on this in the near future, it's one of many of the development schedule.
Thanks I suspected that. I would have had my S5 tuned by now if there was anything available for it. I still feel a little surprised that since the first CREC engines with the SIMOS 16 went into production in Summer 2014, that ECU would be cracked by now, but I can appreciate that there are more things to do than you have resources for...

Thanks I suspected that. I would have had my S5 tuned by now if there was anything available for it. I still feel a little surprised that since the first CREC engines with the SIMOS 16 went into production in Summer 2014, that ECU would be cracked by now, but I can appreciate that there are more things to do than you have resources for...

Yes as you say there is more to it than that, we require stock file to work from too, which hasn't yet been released from VAG and it's fitting it into the development scheduled. We do have a CREC to hand here, so will crack on when we can.

Just a side note on performance figures, the peak figures do not directly reflect how well a car either drives or performs in the real world. This is why Revo development is done on track and road, we spent over 18 months developing and testing the 3.0TFSi Stage 1 file around the world in many differing climates, conditions and on differing fuel qualities, then the redevelopment the software at a later date for the Stage 1+.
More about peak figures here and well worth a read - http://www.revotechnik.com/support/technical/peak-power-figures-explained
Also Rolling road explanation here - http://www.revotechnik.com/support/technical/rolling-roads-explained

On the 3.0TFSi, the Stage 1+ is an unquestionable upgrade, for the small upgrade cost and results seen in return taking it into true Super car territory.

View attachment 85010

Whoa look at those performance stats. I need to have this and real quick!

Reactions: Revo Steve-W
Yes as you say there is more to it than that, we require stock file to work from too, which hasn't yet been released from VAG and it's fitting it into the development scheduled. We do have a CREC to hand here, so will crack on when we can.

Steve, coming up to 3 months later has cracking the SIMOS 16 worked its way nearer to the front of your development task list?

Also would one of the supercharger drive pulley diameters offered in the fluidampr crank pulley upgrade suit your stage 1+ map as an alternative to the smaller supercharger pulley?

Steve, coming up to 3 months later has cracking the SIMOS 16 worked its way nearer to the front of your development task list?

Also would one of the supercharger drive pulley diameters offered in the fluidampr crank pulley upgrade suit your stage 1+ map as an alternative to the smaller supercharger pulley?

Hi Dippy,
We are awaiting on Audi for the stock file, as for the pulley we already have the new bolt on pulleys in readiness for software.

The tuning will be a fresh start due to different ECU type and possible other changes, it would be good to see something before the end of the year, however until we start we never know and spent 18 months on the previous 3.0TFSi software development due to the extent of R&D Revo calibration team do around the world. The best things come to those who wait...

Thank you
Steve

Thanks Steve, I appreciate the feedback and it's interesting to find out how this process works. Does Audi 'publish' the ECU files as a matter of course? Are they late to do so for this engine?

I had expected that it would not be a simple process to convert the remaps at least due to the additional 6 fuel injectors, but I hope it won't take another 18 months! I'm either planning to keep my S5 with a tune, or else replace it with a B9 RS, and they ought to become available in that timeframe.

I'd still appreciate a comment about using a fluidampr crank pulley instead of the supercharger pulley. I have read enough reports of the vibration dampener in the OEM crank pulley failing to want to go for the oversize crank pulley solution instead.

Apologies for the thread resurrection, but earlier today I visited V-Hub to have my car upgraded from Revo stage 1 to 1+ and thought I should share my experiences with you.

All I can say is if you have a S4, you have GOT to do this! I've been cruising around with the stage 1 map for just over 6 months and have been happy with the performance however recently I've found myself trawling though the classifieds looking for a potential replacement and thinking what next...

Following this latest upgrade my car feels much more responsive and the rate it gathers speed, breathtaking. It's certainly going to keep me happy for the next 6 months or so but now the task of finding a worthy (and affordable) replacement is going to be that much more difficult.

If you've got a Revo stage 1 mapped S4 and are thinking of chopping it in for something else, try the 1+ map first. You will not be disappointed.

Reactions: Revo Steve-W, scotty76, pez81 and 1 other person
The 1+ is amazing isn't it :)

You will now struggle to find a worthy replacement

What is the difference between the 1 and 1+. Is it just software or does it require hardware upgrades.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

1+ is smaller supercharger pulley & tune (called stage 2 by most tuners)

I write motoring reviews, it's what I do. I bang them out one after another. I never struggle to write them, I'm never lost for words.

I pride myself on being able to invoke emotion and convey the sensation of speed or power. That was until I tried the REVO stage1+. I have re written it five times and I'm still not getting across what the car is capable of. The car is as happy on the school run as it is on the track. From a standing start it's epic. One of my favourite things is to launch it on unsuspecting passengers. Watching them scrabble for something to grab never fails to raise a sneaky grin.

The car sits waiting like a predator. A Dr Jekyll with a Mr Hyde fighting to get out. Once Mr Hyde is out it's hard to get him back in.
Riding the wave of torque is so utterly additive. I could write a list of endless superlatives and still not do justice to what REVO have achieved.

Reactions: xpoweruk, pez81 and Kevin S4 Avant
If you have not got it already get the gearbox map, it really inhances to the whole experience.

Reactions: Kevin S4 Avant
I write motoring reviews, it's what I do. I bang them out one after another. I never struggle to write them, I'm never lost for words.

I pride myself on being able to invoke emotion and convey the sensation of speed or power. That was until I tried the REVO stage1+. I have re written it five times and I'm still not getting across what the car is capable of. The car is as happy on the school run as it is on the track. From a standing start it's epic. One of my favourite things is to launch it on unsuspecting passengers. Watching them scrabble for something to grab never fails to raise a sneaky grin.

The car sits waiting like a predator. A Dr Jekyll with a Mr Hyde fighting to get out. Once Mr Hyde is out it's hard to get him back in.
Riding the wave of torque is so utterly additive. I could write a list of endless superlatives and still not do justice to what REVO have achieved.
Are Revo paying you to say this :yes: haha. Would love to get my S4 remapped but worry that it will put undue pressure on my engine and components? I've already had a big S-Tronic issue without the car being mapped. It wouldn't bother me too much but nothing is cheap on these cars! Any advice?

What is the approximate cost of a stage 2 with a gearbox remap too?

No unfortunately not getting paid. I'm the product tester and reviewer for the Audi owners club.

I have run a number of tests on different products. Namely is it worth spending the extra on premium over budget. People say why spend x on a premium product when I can buy y for less.

I tested a number of maps from a man with a van, a back street garage, a respected tuner and a premium tuner. I put them on a Dyno to see if the cheaper gave you real value.

I also ran a test on springs, budget vs premium. That can be found in the next issue of Performance Audi magazine out on the 24th November at all good newsagents.

As for damage, I really did get an insight into mapping. I spoke to a number of premium tuning companies before making my selection. I explained what I was working on and REVO were by far the most forthcoming. I was offered and given access to any member of staff, from technical, R&D, sales, every corner of the company. I spoke to everyone from the guys that write the maps to the guys that test the cars. Everyone was very helpful.

They test and when I say they test, I mean they test. Months of track testing, months of road testing. REVO are never the first out with maps, they are never rushed. It's ready when it's ready is their philosophy. They never run cars too hard, others may get the headline figures but REVO do not chase figures. They want a car to drive well and be a pleasure to drive. They want you to be able to do the school run and the race track. They want to retain the civilised nature of our cars, we did buy an Audi after all.

I currently run stage 1 and have the dsg map as well. When you went stage 1+ did you also change the intake or just the pulley?

Funny enough I had had an intake kicking about here for months that I had not fitted yet. So I put that on too.
IMG 6757

Reactions: Kevin S4 Avant
Funny enough I had had an intake kicking about here for months that I had not fitted yet. So I put that on too.View attachment 109840
Is that a Revo one? Where did you get the carbon fibre engine cover? I went to Revo earlier this year to mod the new Intake for the 2.0TFsi. Great bunch gave me some goodies and a full tank of Nitro + for my troubles!

That's a nice carbanio unit

I wanted the REVO one but I already had this one. The other issue was there was a time scale involved, the garage had one spot the next day. Other then that they are booked months in advance, I'm not a very patienct man and wanted it done the next day lol

Reactions: ianv5
I just got a second hand stasis revo intake and loving it. Was after. Carbanio, but just too expensive.

Can you post some exterior shots of your car

IMG 6756
IMG 4852
IMG 6754

Reactions: Carlos85, Revo Steve-W and scotty76
Awesome. Are the wheels genuine V spoke

Sorry. Wrong wheels.

REVO rvo19" wheels 10kg a wheel, every kg of spinning weight saved is the equivalent of 3kg.