Revo Stage 1

Thanks guys.

Is it dangerous if a mapped car is run on 95ron fuel or will the car be able to ****** the timing to compensate? For the sake of £100 it sounds like the flexibility of the SPS is worth it for me. Returning to stock might be useful for a dealer visit, but im guessing the pulley is a pretty easy giveaway!

My questions regarding the gearbox map and pulley pre engine map were whether this would allow the car to be completely returned to stock or if a comparative stock vs stage1+ dyno run could be carried out at a later date etc.

Understand that Revo are less concerned with peak numbers and i agree with that, i didnt actually spot the 395-409 (Stage 1) and the 409-442 (stage1+) on the site so thats useful and ive seen 450-500 talked about on here. Guessing its quite rare for a stage 1 car to make as much as 409 or a stage 1+ car to make as "little" as 409?

Yes, ive made contact with a local Revo dealer thanks.

Cheers,
Nick
I can highly recommend the sps. I've been caught out where 99ron isn't available and I've just switched maps. Plus it's fun going back to stock setting then driving it a bit and changing it back.
Ive found sometimes running the sps on 97setting and fueling with 99 yields some interesting results. Well worth it anyway. They offer a money back guarantee on the tune anyway I think so try it and if you're not blown away get a refund. I've stopped chasing headline figures even though my s6 is making more power than advertised. Truth is when it can blow the doors of an m5/m4 and 911s I couldn't care less. For me it's all about the torque and revo make big torque. I think that's what they seem to develop around. I've seen s4s make 450flbs that's no joke.

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk

Reactions: ianv5
Thanks guys.

Is it dangerous if a mapped car is run on 95ron fuel or will the car be able to ****** the timing to compensate? For the sake of £100 it sounds like the flexibility of the SPS is worth it for me. Returning to stock might be useful for a dealer visit, but im guessing the pulley is a pretty easy giveaway!

My questions regarding the gearbox map and pulley pre engine map were whether this would allow the car to be completely returned to stock or if a comparative stock vs stage1+ dyno run could be carried out at a later date etc.

Understand that Revo are less concerned with peak numbers and i agree with that, i didnt actually spot the 395-409 (Stage 1) and the 409-442 (stage1+) on the site so thats useful and ive seen 450-500 talked about on here. Guessing its quite rare for a stage 1 car to make as much as 409 or a stage 1+ car to make as "little" as 409?

Yes, ive made contact with a local Revo dealer thanks.

Cheers,
Nick

Yes, if it's something you think you'll come across, then get the switch, otherwise we would normally put a top up of say £10-£15 in to get to the next V-Power pump.

Previously Stage 1+ cars have had stock files flashed back on and pulley left in place for resale (customer cars) and without issue, however most would leave the car as Stage 1+ as a huge selling point and would make the car more desirable for many already being Revo Stage 1+

Numbers are numbers, great for pub talk, but in reality mean little, as well as varying from dyno to dyno and due to so many variants to take into account. My advise, ignore figures, get it done and drive it for yourself. There's many encouraging statements above from genuine customer which would certainly sell the upgrade to myself without working through marketing material or looking at numbers.

Get it done & enjoy!!
Steve

Reactions: pez81
Yes, if it's something you think you'll come across, then get the switch, otherwise we would normally put a top up of say £10-£15 in to get to the next V-Power pump.

Previously Stage 1+ cars have had stock files flashed back on and pulley left in place for resale (customer cars) and without issue, however most would leave the car as Stage 1+ as a huge selling point and would make the car more desirable for many already being Revo Stage 1+

Numbers are numbers, great for pub talk, but in reality mean little, as well as varying from dyno to dyno and due to so many variants to take into account. My advise, ignore figures, get it done and drive it for yourself. There's many encouraging statements above from genuine customer which would certainly sell the upgrade to myself without working through marketing material or looking at numbers.

Get it done & enjoy!!
Steve
It's simple revo unleash the beasts within. Rock solid reliability and guaranteed smiles every time you drive.

Reactions: xpoweruk and Revo Steve-W
Smiles per gallon

Reactions: xpoweruk, Revo Steve-W and pez81
I think one of the most important aspects is, it's still a normal car. It's not lumpy on tickover, it's not a pig in town, it's still the Audi you love. It's so well behaved you would let it babysit your kids.

Put your foot down and it turns into a weapon of mass distraction, even after all this time it's still surprises me.

Reactions: Revo Steve-W and pez81
I can highly recommend the sps. I've been caught out where 99ron isn't available and I've just switched maps. Plus it's fun going back to stock setting then driving it a bit and changing it back.
Ive found sometimes running the sps on 97setting and fueling with 99 yields some interesting results. Well worth it anyway. They offer a money back guarantee on the tune anyway I think so try it and if you're not blown away get a refund. I've stopped chasing headline figures even though my s6 is making more power than advertised. Truth is when it can blow the doors of an m5/m4 and 911s I couldn't care less. For me it's all about the torque and revo make big torque. I think that's what they seem to develop around. I've seen s4s make 450flbs that's no joke.

Sold my 911 about 3 weeks after getting my S4 as with the remap it was quicker and returns better mpg, transports the family, dogs etc etc.

Reactions: xpoweruk and pez81
Sold my 911 about 3 weeks after getting my S4 as with the remap it was quicker and returns better mpg, transports the family, dogs etc etc.
And the sleeper factor! Do you have the pulley as well?

Reactions: xpoweruk
And the sleeper factor! Do you have the pulley as well?

No pulley yet, probably in the New year. Have dsg map and Revo CAI so done as much as I can before going Stage 1+. Must say car is pretty quick at stage 1 and with the CAI the supercharger wine is pretty addictive :-D

No pulley yet, probably in the New year. Have dsg map and Revo CAI so done as much as I can before going Stage 1+. Must say car is pretty quick at stage 1 and with the CAI the supercharger wine is pretty addictive :-D
Can't beat charger whine. That's the one thing I miss on my s6, but I get induction noise with my revo CAI and it's making massive power so I can cry myself to sleep ok now. Wish I'd tuned my s4 whilst I had it.

Reactions: S4_V6T
Can't beat charger whine. That's the one thing I miss on my s6, but I get induction noise with my revo CAI and it's making massive power so I can cry myself to sleep ok now. Wish I'd tuned my s4 whilst I had it.

I was set on getting an S8 and remapping... After watching your video, I am really liking the S6 and it's more nimble characteristics.
I was going to ask how you find the S6 compared to a stage 2 S4, but just noticed you did not remap your S4. I test drove a stock S6 and felt my S4 was slightly quicker.. Sure a remap on the S6 would sort that out.

I was set on getting an S8 and remapping... After watching your video, I am really liking the S6 and it's more nimble characteristics.
I was going to ask how you find the S6 compared to a stage 2 S4, but just noticed you did not remap your S4. I test drove a stock S6 and felt my S4 was slightly quicker.. Sure a remap on the S6 would sort that out.
No stage 2 will keep up with mine on pump fuel. It's a monster! The comfort and interior is another level. You have more power on a stage 2 s4 over a stock s7 but with tune mine is over 540bhp. M5s get embarrassed. Do it I love mine. Check out orange wheels £14k off list. Want to know anything else?

new black quattro rings and v8t badges in the post, the car will be mostly dechromed then, i hate the chrome. Also a nice guy locally to me who has an RS7 (gorgeous car, those seats are ridiculous) kindly met up and we went for a bit of a drive. From the speeds we were doing we were level pegging so the REVO S6 seems to be evenly matched. anyone else got a stock S6 or S7?

The Dyno diferance

1 warm day Dyno one 472

2 cool day Dyno two two runs 518, 520

So 10% between Dyno's, the numbers are meaningless really. Just pub banter.

The Dyno diferance

1 warm day Dyno one 472

2 cool day Dyno two two runs 518, 520

So 10% between Dyno's, the numbers are meaningless really. Just pub banter.
Sorry mate you lost me what was this in reference to?

The difference between different dynos, different makes of Dyno can be 10% off each other. Someone said about it in one of the posts here, I was posting an example. My car is not running 520 so that Dyno is running a little high. So how it drives are feels is more important then the number stuck on it. Numbers are great for pub talk but the drive is real world.

Sorry if this has been covered, I just wanted to ask a basic question.

I have a 2009 S-Tronic S4 with 65,000 miles on the clock and a full Audi service history. I'm keen to go for the Revo Stage 1 or 1+ modification. Is there a danger of shortening the life of the engine and gearbox etc on older cars like mine?

Many thanks.

IMO you are at no more risk than others so long as service schedules have been kept to

Reactions: Ianbts
Sorry if this has been covered, I just wanted to ask a basic question.

I have a 2009 S-Tronic S4 with 65,000 miles on the clock and a full Audi service history. I'm keen to go for the Revo Stage 1 or 1+ modification. Is there a danger of shortening the life of the engine and gearbox etc on older cars like mine?

Many thanks.
Maybe have the gearbox heath checked first as some earlier models had stronic issues but if it looks good do it.
That's low mileage nice. You'll love revo's software it feels OEM quality but on roids

Reactions: Ianbts and xpoweruk

Maybe have the gearbox heath checked first as some earlier models had stronic issues but if it looks good do it.

We have enough history with the 3.0 s/c engine to suggest that whilst indeed tuning will reduce average longevity, its not something you should care about on a car which has only done 65K. But as @pez81 writes, it is the DL501 which is at risk. I'd advise you to check what the FASH exactly means in terms of gearbox service. When was the oil changed? I believe that for an 2009 car the oil filter might not have been changed (and it has two of them). Unless the gearbox has been serviced recently I'd advice getting an oil & cartridge filter change done before tuning. And it'll have to be done at an independent garage because an Audi dealer will just tell you that the filter doesn't need to be changed.

Reactions: Ianbts
Turns out the gearbox was replaced about 12,000 miles ago so hopefully that shouldn't present any issues for the foreseeable.
No reason not to go for it then!

Last edited:
Hi Steve.
A few miles outside of Hull. I think it's Auto Tecnica that sells your products.
The car's booked in at Hull Audi Friday morning to have the PCV valve and software update ,as I'm using a litre of oil every 400 miles.
As soon as I know everything thing is running as it should, I will be getting it booked in.
Is the pcv valve under warranty or are you having to pay for it ,if so how much please.

Hi Andy.
No, it's not under warranty. But for some reason I don't know of, Audi changed their minds and only did the software update. They just Fed me some BS about not needing a PCV.
Purchased it myself and tried to fit it myself, but one screw beat me.
I've Just had a local indie fit it this week, can now see why Audi pulled out. It takes about 6 hours to fit and finish. Audi quoted 2.

Reactions: ANDYTQ
I was disappointed to find out from Revo today that they only have Stage 1 ECU software for the 2016 CREC SIMOS16 V6 3.0 TFSI engine. They have not yet produced a Stage 1+ remap for sale nor do they have an aftermarket supercharger pulley.

Revo seem to be lagging well behind their competitors such as APR and MRC.

Revo Steve-W, any indication when this might get done?

TIA

Revo’s R&D process is one of the most extensive in the tuning industry, spending months developing complete files on track and road in the real world.

Stage 1 is of course the first stage to come to the market, as you may be aware Stage 1 Revo on the CREC sees similar results to Stage 1+ on the previous engine.

Whilst others chase figures, some loose sight of the fact that whilst chasing numbers on a dyno may all be well & good, once that bonnet is down & the car’s on the road, then that all goes out the window, these cars suffered massively from heat soak. Again, this is why Revo develop software in the real world on the Tarmac, giving the driveability you desire & power in the mid-range where you want it, but also more importantly consistent power, and reliability.

We have many projects on the go, as you may have seen, we’ve just released the Stage 3 ETR package for MQB, something which is not matched. This MQB package has realistically has been a far more important platform for us to put our efforts into, given the limited CREC market, although not something we ignored & hence Stage 1 is available.

Reactions: HTB
Example of results seen on the MQB Stage 3 ETR package.
So, I can’t agree Revo are falling behind, I’d say, more concentrating efforts on the larger picture.

Attachments

• F12A6E5F-4986-4D20-B447-373CDEC0A76A.jpeg
    F12A6E5F-4986-4D20-B447-373CDEC0A76A.jpeg
    157.4 KB · Views: 281
This MQB package has realistically has been a far more important platform for us to put our efforts into, given the limited CREC market, although not something we ignored & hence Stage 1 is available.

Does that imply that a Stage 1+ for the CREC is unlikely to happen?

Does that imply that a Stage 1+ for the CREC is unlikely to happen?

The CREC already has a smaller stock pulley from factory, and as I said sees similar results to 1+ on previous 3.0TFSi.
Not saying we won’t go further, however we put the time into development and don’t just bolt parts on & chase numbers, which become totally insignificant in the real world.

CREC is a limited market, so in all honesty, our efforts are more directed towards to B9 now.

Have you tried Revo on your CREC, if you have one? 30 day money back guarantee as always with Revo, as we’re that confident in the hard work we’ve put in.

Last edited:
Have you tried Revo on your CREC, if you have one?

I'm waiting to see if you offer the same Black Friday deal that you have in the previous two years.

I'm waiting to see if you offer the same Black Friday deal that you have in the previous two years.
If you're even likely to want to go stage 1+(2) choose another tuner. Looks like revo are very unlikely to be developing this platform any further.

@HTB - Is there any particular reason why you want to wait for a REVO package? Whilst I can't agree with everything @Revo Steve-W has written (no heat soak problem on my car), he's right that the CREC engine is a limited market, and its not a question of their falling behind, its that they have taken a sensible business decision to focus elsewhere (note that they don't focus on VAG cars like others who support the CREC).

@Dippy - I'm looking at Revo, APR or MRC and Stage 1, 1+ or 2.

I'm trying to do a cost per HP gain comparison but I'm waiting for insurance quotes to come back for a range of options between 415PS and 470PS.

Another factor for me is tuner location with nearest only 8 miles away, one 140 miles away and furthest is 250 miles.

Watch this space!

p.s. @Dippy - if you get a PM from me to ask for info about your Fluidampr crank pulley you'll know what my decision is. ;-)

@HTB - Is there any particular reason why you want to wait for a REVO package? Whilst I can't agree with everything @Revo Steve-W has written (no heat soak problem on my car), he's right that the CREC engine is a limited market, and its not a question of their falling behind, its that they have taken a sensible business decision to focus elsewhere (note that they don't focus on VAG cars like others who support the CREC).

Yes, we must focus on the main market, as we are a business at the end of the day, but that doesn't stop us doing other projects too and CREC has been and is ongoing.
As for concentrating on VAG, that is all we have done for 16 years or so. Yes, we have Revo Ford, however that is run through SCC down in St Albans, which is the Revo Ford HQ. The development and calibration guys are separate, however both do share our facilities and of course Bruntingthorpe for development.
These engine do suffer from heat soak, but this is something we monitor closely during development, using advanced equipment, not just relating to how quick the temp gauge rises, where it sits or how fast it'll cook sausages on the manifold etc.

As for cost per HP gain @HTB, it's not about peak figures and you'll often see a massive disparity from dyno to dyno.
https://www.revotechnik.com/support/technical/rolling-roads-explained / https://www.revotechnik.com/support/technical/peak-power-figures-explained

Revo are so confident in the software that we offer, that we offer a 30day money back, return to stock guarantee, so if not 100% satisfied, your dealer will refund you and put the car to stock using the latest file from VAG.

We are very conservative when it comes to numbers too, many report much higher numbers than we quote - see attached example.

Attachments

• S4.jpg
    S4.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_8718.JPG
    IMG_8718.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 275
  • Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    323.8 KB · Views: 278
@Revo Steve-W

As for cost per HP gain @HTB, it's not about peak figures and you'll often see a massive disparity from dyno to dyno.

We are very conservative when it comes to numbers too, many report much higher numbers than we quote - see attached example.

You have posted some very useful advice that will go towards helping me make an informed choice, so thank you for that.

Not wishing to be argumentative but I find it somewhat obtuse when you say "it's not about peak figures" (a point I fully understand) but you then go on to post "many report much higher numbers than we quote - see attached example." :haha:

You also show me an image with 'pub talk' figures for zero-to-... times/top speed for a Stage 1+ & pulley upgrade that you cannot even provide for my car. That was kind of the whole point of my original post! :playful:

I haven't discounted a Revo Stage 1.

My cost per HP gain is only one aspect I'm looking into but it's the only fully objective metric I can think of. I find subjective terms like 'driveability' and 'enhanced experience' too subjective and not helpful in sorting the chaff from wheat.

Other factors for me are tuner location and reviews/comments by other users of these products.

Cheers

:cool:

HTB

@Revo Steve-W

You have posted some very useful advice that will go towards helping me make an informed choice, so thank you for that.

Not wishing to be argumentative but I find it somewhat obtuse when you say "it's not about peak figures" (a point I fully understand) but you then go on to post "many report much higher numbers than we quote - see attached example." :haha:

You also show me an image with 'pub talk' figures for zero-to-... times/top speed for a Stage 1+ & pulley upgrade that you cannot even provide for my car. That was kind of the whole point of my original post! :playful:

I haven't discounted a Revo Stage 1.

My cost per HP gain is only one aspect I'm looking into but it's the only fully objective metric I can think of. I find subjective terms like 'driveability' and 'enhanced experience' too subjective and not helpful in sorting the chaff from wheat.

Other factors for me are tuner location and reviews/comments by other users of these products.

Cheers

:cool:

HTB

Point being, although it's not all about figures, we do make the numbers, so if you are interested in them, there they are...
Basically we don't say it's not about numbers because we don't achieve them or hide away from them.

There are so many owners and cars on these forums, that I can't always keep up with who's got exactly what, but your words - 'I'm looking at Revo, APR or MRC and Stage 1, 1+ or 2' and for me Stage 1+ means pulley kit, which refers to the pre-CREC engine, as the CREC comes with a reduced size pulley from stock, and as I've said, makes the same power as the Stage 1+ previous engine set up, or there about.

For us, it is about drive-ability, can't apologies for this, this is the whole reason for developing in the real world on the tarmac, giving you the consistent power and drive-ability which you'd desire as a driver in the mid-range. Rather than chasing numbers, then slamming down a bonnet and that all pretty much goes out the window.
You can't compare software based on numbers or what 'one car did on a certain dyno on that day, in those conditions, with that fuel quality and those settings, using those chosen drive train loss % calculations' As an example, we saw a 40Bhp disparity between independent dynos when doing some blog research using a stage 3 MQB 7R a few months back.

As for location, they'll be a local VAG specialists/Revo dealer near by, a point well raised - https://www.revotechnik.com/dealer-locator, support of a global dealer network of over 400 dealers.

Last edited:
If you want to compare again another car then put it on a 1/4mile drag strip. I did this with mine (MRC stage2) against a APR Dual pulley S5 in the wet and beat him by 0.2seconds so it really was very close.
Ran in Class 4 Upto 3000cc class https://app.box.com/s/0essmuxo0nm8uum9a7lww2wu127gxchf/file/235990372569

I've seen a 10% difference in BHP on different dynos which can be as much as 50HP so I would advise go Stage1+ or stage2 depending on your tuner to get the most bang for buck. Don't get hooked up on chasing BHP numbers just chose a tuner you are happy and confident in as most or the big names, APR, Revo, MRC etc all produce excellent results.

Last edited:
If you want to compare again another car then put it on a 1/4mile drag strip. I did this with mine (MRC stage2) against a APR Dual pulley S5 in the wet and beat him by 0.2seconds so it really was very close.
Ran in Class 4 Upto 3000cc class https://app.box.com/s/0essmuxo0nm8uum9a7lww2wu127gxchf/file/235990372569

I've seen a 10% difference in BHP on different dynos which can be as much as 50HP so I would advise go Stage1+ or stage2 depending on your tuner to get the most bang for buck. Don't get hooked up on chasing BHP numbers just chose a tuner you are happy and confident in as most or the big names, APR, Revo, MRC etc all produce excellent results.

1/4 Mile times are an achievement, hence we are pleased with the class leading results we've seen on customers Revo tuned cars around the world, but they are not something you can judge a car by for on the road daily performance.

Yeah, I totally agree with @Cerbera9 's comments.

As I have written elsewhere, I spent a good amount of time in 2014 searching for a used S5 SB with the intention of tuning it. So it was with mixed emotions that I gave up searching for the right spec car and ordered a new one, knowing that I ought to drive it stock for a year before tuning. Then I found out it had the CREC engine and I needed to wait longer for the new SIMOS ECU to be cracked. I had been keeping in touch with APR, MRC and REVO and would have gone with any of them, but MRC was first to market so I went with them. I was happy to do so because they have a great reputation with many happy customers.

However I must say that the pulley dampening issue had been on my mind. I had discussed using crank instead of supercharger pulley with Chris at REVO and he told me that they wouldn't support it. I really did have a strong preference to have a Fluidampr fitted so when MRC announced CREC support first and then were not only willing to support my Vdamper kit, but actually keen to do so, it was a "no-brainer" for me. The only part of the MRC package that I'm not 100% happy with is the TCU tune which is just the basic changes needed, no shift point remapping. But its not enough of an issue for me to bother getting an alternative gearbox tune.