Revo Trial map problem.. help

S3RYE

Interior Next!!
Reaction score
Went to Amd yesterday and had the trial Revo map installed.. was driving around last night.. quite fast and had no problems what so ever.. today i was driving and wqas maybe 6000rpm 2nd gear and the car sort of lost power.. then the emission light (i think) statrted flashing.. something to do with catalyc converter.. i slowed down and it stopped flashing and everything seems fine now.. im just a bit worried and wondering whether i should reframe from driving it hard??

If a warning light flashed up mate i would reframe from driving hard. As Staz said i'd take it back to AMD to sort out the problem if there is one.

Was it the emissions light (looks like an engine)?

Had the same with mine not long ago, mine was on constant, it was just a lambda sensor gone!

If it has gone out i would not be too woried, just get it to a dealers or who did the remap trial to check for any faut codes!

You need to get VCDS on it to see what is going on. So if you don't have VCDS like Staz says go back to AMD.

Was it the emissions light (looks like an engine)?

Had the same with mine not long ago, mine was on constant, it was just a lambda sensor gone!

If it has gone out i would not be too woried, just get it to a dealers or who did the remap trial to check for any faut codes!

yeh thats the one.. in the manual says something about catalyc converter??

ok so didnt drive hard again yesterday.. got in this morning.. map is still there.. get on to a bit of open road a as soon as i hit 6krpm again it happeneed.. it did go off straight away again but its not right!!

so i called AMD and they want me to take it back to them.. problem is by the time im there the map will prob have gone???

ok so didnt drive hard again yesterday.. got in this morning.. map is still there.. get on to a bit of open road a as soon as i hit 6krpm again it happeneed.. it did go off straight away again but its not right!!

so i called AMD and they want me to take it back to them.. problem is by the time im there the map will prob have gone???

It's very easy for them to reload it if neccessary,and also they will have the neccessary diagnostics to read your car's error log.

Are you sure it is not the engine management light? As this is exactly the same symptoms of the misfire of Cyl 3. Flashing EML and reduction in power around 5-6k revs is text book.

The fault codes will be 000768 and 000771 - multiple random misfires and Cyl 3 misfire.

EDIT: Without having car or manual to hand, I am 99% sure that the engine shaped light is the EML and not emissions, so is probably the above.

Last edited:
Are you sure it is not the engine management light? As this is exactly the same symptoms of the misfire of Cyl 3. Flashing EML and reduction in power around 5-6k revs is text book.

The fault codes will be 000768 and 000771 - multiple random misfires and Cyl 3 misfire.
changing the downpipe solwes misfires, am i right?

changing the downpipe solwes misfires, am i right?

I think you are right, but I am not sure on the specifics of >MY07 cars.

I haven't heard of it happening on the trial software before, so I may well be completely wrong but the symptoms are strangely similar.

or get a map that doesn't mis-fire and save the cost of a down-pipe

ok so the maps gone now.. if i drive hard i dont get the light now.. but ive got other issues..

when a car is remapped.... does the MPG indicator in the DIS get confused.. as in inaccurate.. when you come to a stop the MPG thingy should reset to ----Mpg, well mine doesnt.. it just stays at what its last reading was... its also as if its not as sensitive.. doesnt change quickly..

could all this be related? i really dont fancy driving all the way to Amd for no reason now..? but my car dont feel well lol

EDIT: Without having car or manual to hand, I am 99% sure that the engine shaped light is the EML and not emissions, so is probably the above.

Na Mate, the engine shaped light is emmissions. Had mine on a couple of weeks age, it needed a new Lamda Sensor

Na Mate, the engine shaped light is emmissions. Had mine on a couple of weeks age, it needed a new Lamda Sensor

Wasn't 100% without the car/manual to hand so thanks bud, but that leaves the question of what's is the EML then, as from memory that is the icon that flashed on mine.:confused:

ok i have researched it a bit, it seems like its either a MAF problem or a Lambda sensor problem.. im not gettin any problems or warning lights since the map dissapeared..

do i take the car to audi still?

or do i wait till i get it remapped properly and wait and see??

surely if it was a problem now the warning light would still be on??

ok i have researched it a bit, it seems like its either a MAF problem or a Lambda sensor problem.. im not gettin any problems or warning lights since the map dissapeared..

do i take the car to audi still?

or do i wait till i get it remapped properly and wait and see??

surely if it was a problem now the warning light would still be on??

S3RYE said:
i really dont fancy driving all the way to Amd for no reason now..? but my car dont feel well lol

The best advice was,and is,to take it back to AMD.

If you have the full remap,they would be doing it,and in any case,they have the right information and gear to sort it out.

If you take it to Audi,they will know nothing about the remap,and may be unable to replicate the problem.

I just got full Revo stage 1 map on an otherwise stock 08' S3 and am having the "misfire of Cyl 3. Flashing EML and reduction in power around 5-6k revs" issue. Exactly the same symptoms and error code.

I changed coil pack in cyl 3 today to no effect. It only does it in performace mode and seems fine in stock. There is also a fluttering noise from the engine at 3-4000, again only with the remap.

Any ideas???

I just got full Revo stage 1 map on an otherwise stock 08' S3 and am having the "misfire of Cyl 3. Flashing EML and reduction in power around 5-6k revs" issue. Exactly the same symptoms and error code.

I changed coil pack in cyl 3 today to no effect. It only does it in performace mode and seems fine in stock. There is also a fluttering noise from the engine at 3-4000, again only with the remap.

Any ideas???

Cylinder 3 is always the one to show up problems,and I can't remember exactly why,but AMD do know.

In my case,the 5-6k rpm problem was down to airflow limitation through the otherwise stock intake system,and this is something you may want to explore.

The fluttering noise could be the diverter valve,loosing boost if it's a bit on the weak side.

The newer OEM unit is much better made,or you could think of something like the Forge.

Any ideas???

Marc, you need to speak to the Guys at Revo (as below) who will sort you out. It is something which they are aware of and will do their best to sort out for you (they did me).

As a side note now that this has been revived, I looked eventually got round to looking at the light/book and it is the Emissions Warning light and not EML as I previously thought which flashes - IanS3 was spot on first time. :o.k:

Revo Developments Limited
47 Brunel Close, Drayton Fields Industrial Estate, Daventry, Northamptonshire, UK, NN11 8RB
+44 (0) 1327 301901
www.revotechnik.com

Marc, you need to speak to the Guys at Revo (as below) who will sort you out. It is something which they are aware of and will do their best to sort out for you (they did me).

As a side note now that this has been revived, I looked eventually got round to looking at the light/book and it is the Emissions Warning light and not EML as I previously thought which flashes - IanS3 was spot on first time. :o.k:

Revo Developments Limited
47 Brunel Close, Drayton Fields Industrial Estate, Daventry, Northamptonshire, UK, NN11 8RB
+44 (0) 1327 301901
www.revotechnik.com

They and AMD were both very helpful when we were sorting out my problems with a misfire,and both spent a good bit of time and effort in fixing it.

As it turned out,it was something that none of us had considered would be such a problem,but we got there in the end.

Revo and AMD both deserve a lot of credit for their customer service and backup.

Revo and AMD both deserve a lot of credit for their customer service and backup.

+1 for REVO
Been very helpful in the past.
Good to be able to pick the phone up and speak to some one in the UK that knows what hes talking about AND actually gives a ****!

Paul

As far as I know it is a known issue with most of the 2008 cars. This is the reason I went for a custom map. However, I am sure that your tuner will know how to get around this. Options:

a) reduce boost over 6000 rpm to stock, hence avoiding the misfires.
b) bring the rev limiter below 6200rpm (not a solution really...)
c) change downpipe/exhaust. This does not warrant a solution, but it usually helps as it reduces the backpressure.

HTH

Revo know about this problem, it seems to affect 2008MY cars.

Mine did the same thing after a revo stage 1 remap. Revo were very helpful when it happened to me, they say the downpipe causes it, but I cant confirm that.

there are two options to fix it:-

- a new full exhaust system - I didnt want this, as I didnt want to spend any more money on the car

- The revo stage 2 map - revo applied this for free and its been fine since, no flashing light.

Revo know about this problem, it seems to affect 2008MY cars.

Mine did the same thing after a revo stage 1 remap. Revo were very helpful when it happened to me, they say the downpipe causes it, but I cant confirm that.

there are two options to fix it:-

- a new full exhaust system - I didnt want this, as I didnt want to spend any more money on the car

- The revo stage 2 map - revo applied this for free and its been fine since, no flashing light.

Why would the stage 2 map help the problem? as I thought you need a full exhaust system to get the stage 2 map?

I am gettin abit scared now as mine is booked in for a revo map 21st december at prosport (Mine is a 59 model s3)

ok so the maps gone now.. if i drive hard i dont get the light now.. but ive got other issues..

when a car is remapped.... does the MPG indicator in the DIS get confused.. as in inaccurate.. when you come to a stop the MPG thingy should reset to ----Mpg, well mine doesnt.. it just stays at what its last reading was... its also as if its not as sensitive.. doesnt change quickly..

could all this be related? i really dont fancy driving all the way to Amd for no reason now..? but my car dont feel well lol

Mine does this but it is standard, as above I thought the mpg was supposed to go to -- when stopped & just the average one was to stay at your average mpg??

Last edited:
Why would the stage 2 map help the problem? as I thought you need a full exhaust system to get the stage 2 map?

Dont know, but thats what revo said would fix it, and indeed it has fixed the problem. I had it applied 12 months ago and 12000 miles ago. They said I wouldnt gain any power because I dont have the other bits of hardware to go with it, but it would fix the warning light. In reality it did feel a bit faster after the stage 2 map, but that might just be because its working properley and not throwing error codes rather than the fact its a stage 2 map.

Prosport did mine, and applied the stage 2 map once revo had decided that it would fix the issue, so they should be still be aware of this potential issue.

I dont think all s3's are affected, but I dont know why Revo havnt yet pinned down which cars are affected and which arent, and released a specific map for the affected cars, after all, if a stage 2 map fixes it, then they should be able to write two stage 1 maps, one for unaffected cars, and one for affected cars.

Dont know, but thats what revo said would fix it, and indeed it has fixed the problem. I had it applied 12 months ago and 12000 miles ago. They said I wouldnt gain any power because I dont have the other bits of hardware to go with it, but it would fix the warning light. In reality it did feel a bit faster after the stage 2 map, but that might just be because its working properley and not throwing error codes rather than the fact its a stage 2 map.

Prosport did mine, and applied the stage 2 map once revo had decided that it would fix the issue, so they should be still be aware of this potential issue.

I dont think all s3's are affected, but I dont know why Revo havnt yet pinned down which cars are affected and which arent, and released a specific map for the affected cars, after all, if a stage 2 map fixes it, then they should be able to write two stage 1 maps, one for unaffected cars, and one for affected cars.

Thanks I will mention this to Prosport, What colour is yours so I can say they did this to your car? & also what problems did you have just the light coming on the dash or hesitation at certain revs? like I have been told this does on all S3's till you get a downpipe

I have a silver S3, but Peter at prosport knows me pretty well, I've been using him for years on various cars.

He does work on my caterham , so if he doesnt twig with the audi,or just my name, say "julian with the caterham"

The light would come on, and there would be a hesitation from the engine, a fairly mild misfire.

It only did it when I put my foot down hard in 4th/5th gear, and then only at 6000+rpm, ie you really had to be going some.

Last edited:
I have a silver S3, but Peter at prosport knows me pretty well, I've been using him for years on various cars.

He does work on my caterham , so if he doesnt twig with the audi,or just my name, say "julian with the caterham"

The light would come on, and there would be a hesitation from the engine, a fairly mild misfire.

It only did it when I put my foot down hard in 4th/5th gear, and then only at 6000+rpm, ie you really had to be going some.

Thanks ye he seems a sound bloke on the phone, Hopefully nothing will go wrong with mine as my mate had his facelift s3 mapped there too which he has had no problems but does say it can be hesitate at high revs which is normal due to the standard downpipe but you dont notice it & ive driven it a few times.

Is yours a facelift? & do you have any idea what its pushing out as I see different figures all over on here. Sure ive read one guy has 320ish just from a map lol. I am hoping for that or more as ive bought the evoms intake & then the forge dv just for the sound.

No, mine is a pre facelift. I've no idea what power its producing, I never bothered to get it measured, I really should do at some point though, just out of interest.

Theres no hesitation at 6000+rpm any more, pulls pretty cleanly all the way to 7000rpm.

on all vag forums guys bang on about revo , yet every day i read problems with it , i had thought about revo for my S3 , ive always had custom code on my previous cars and never had any problems just awesome power for your money SO the S3 will be having the cc touch very soon :rock:

well mines a facelift 09 Aus spec car. Its going into the dealer tmrw to check the injectors but failing that i might just back off the boost for a while. Ordering a supersprint TBE early next year when ive got the money saved.

Its a bit annoying that they havnt found a proper fix for this yet but oh well, at least i can have some gains until the zorst arrives.

Did I miss something here, but why would a more powerful map namely stage 2 fix this issue if its related to things like intake & back pressures using a stage 1, surely with the stage 2 these issues are still present if you havnt swapped the intake or changed downpipe etc, very strange, wouldnt mind Carl@revo explaining the reason why its not a stage 2 problem to.

The problem probably relates to valve springs. Softer springs were used by Audi during 2008. Those cars have valve floating issues at high rpm. This is what I've read on greek forums. Replacing springs would mean lifting the valve cover, so it's a no go for me. I won't do that to a new car.

The problem probably relates to valve springs. Softer springs were used by Audi during 2008. Those cars have valve floating issues at high rpm. This is what I've read on greek forums. Replacing springs would mean lifting the valve cover, so it's a no go for me. I won't do that to a new car.

Not convinced by that....mine's an 08 model,and the misfire was clearly airflow related.