Rhyso's Family Wagon

I use mine all the time in winter , dirty ***** audis lol

What failed on it ??? mine seized but I stripped it down and cleaned it up. Also stopped the water leak it had from the washer jet. Its a **** poor design.

I use mine all the time in winter , dirty ***** audis lol

What failed on it ??? mine seized but I stripped it down and cleaned it up. Also stopped the water leak it had from the washer jet. Its a **** poor design.

me too hence why it’s unlikely I’ll blank it off.

Not entirely sure what failed. I took a wire brush to the innards but there was still a huge amount of rust and corrosion left. New one on the way so I’ll chuck that in and see how long it lasts!

I've read the whole thread last couple of nights. Great car and great thread, thanks for sharing all your experiences, I have a moonlight blue A5 v6 so can relate to a lot.

Your bonnet looks great, what pads and polish are you using? I'm also going panel by panel on my a5 during lock down, it's a test of patience that's sure.

I want to wrap my chrome trim myself but not sure my fat fingers will allow for it

Hope the steering issue isn't too costly to correct

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rhyso
I've read the whole thread last couple of nights. Great car and great thread, thanks for sharing all your experiences, I have a moonlight blue A5 v6 so can relate to a lot.

Your bonnet looks great, what pads and polish are you using? I'm also going panel by panel on my a5 during lock down, it's a test of patience that's sure.

I want to wrap my chrome trim myself but not sure my fat fingers will allow for it

Hope the steering issue isn't too costly to correct

Thank you for the kind words :)

Using the Meguiars polish and microfibre cutting pads. As you say it’s time consuming. Most panels are taking between 1-2 hours to correct so I’ve only done about half the car

I definitely don’t have the skill or patience to do the wrapping so paid someone else to do it lol

me too but a new steering rack is £1600.....I’ve emailed a couple of companies to see if they do remanufactured racks. It’s electrical so I can’t see why they can’t be repaired??

@Rhyso looks good mate what did it cost to get it wrapped ?

Paid £180 for it. Other places wanted £250-£300. They are a window tinting company but have recently started doing vehicle wrapping. Really pleased with the job!

Reactions: Bulldog
Wrap looks good. Black Edition conversion coming along nicely ;)

Needs a set of 20's to set if off nicely.

Thank you for the kind words :)

Using the Meguiars polish and microfibre cutting pads. As you say it’s time consuming. Most panels are taking between 1-2 hours to correct so I’ve only done about half the car

I definitely don’t have the skill or patience to do the wrapping so paid someone else to do it lol

me too but a new steering rack is £1600.....I’ve emailed a couple of companies to see if they do remanufactured racks. It’s electrical so I can’t see why they can’t be repaired??

Paid £180 for it. Other places wanted £250-£300. They are a window tinting company but have recently started doing vehicle wrapping. Really pleased with the job!
Your welcome, I love threads like this where the car gets used properly and the owner adds some nice oem + mods

You've made me feel better, spent about 2 hours on the bonnet with a megs microfiber pad and scholl s20, it's much better but I think I'm going to have to refine as well as I can see some holograms so doubling the time needed also I live opposite a potato field so I have to do a full decon every time

That's a shocking amount of money for the steering rack, hope you find a better fix

I’ve been modding cars for about 15 years now; dont think I’ll ever change :sweatsmile:

I prefer following those who use their cars daily; I totally appreciate the effort that goes into ‘show cars’ but for me I prefer cars that are subtle and get used.

I’ve probably spent about 8-9 hours and only done the passenger side and the bonnet. There’s still a bit more refining to do on those areas too......it’s time consuming but very rewarding especially given the original state of the paintwork!! I have a row of large trees opposite my garden that like to deposit leaves and other crap :(

In true fashion the fault has disappeared today......

So tonight will be the final entry for the A6. Tomorrow it is being part exchanged for a BMW 330d Xdrive Touring.

Why? The last few months have seen the steering fault rear its head again alongside a few other electrical issues. It’s quite possible the battery is at fault but I’ve gone past the point where I just want to keep throwing money at keeping the car in good working order. With 128,000 miles I just have this nagging doubt that it’s going to hit me with a massive bill which will put it beyond economical repair.

Will I miss it? Absolutely. By the end of tomorrow i will have covered over 500 miles in absolute comfort and it didn’t break a sweat. I went to Liverpool and back and it didn’t miss a beat. The engine still performs like a car that has less than 20,000 miles on it. It cruises effortlessly and can still show many wannabe racers a clean pair of heels. The S-tronic box is still silky smooth. The only time it lets itself down is around town when it can be clunky between 2/3 and sometimes gets confused. It’s been like that since I bought the car 4 and a half years ago; I learned to live with it. It was a brand new gearbox as it was replaced just a couple of thousand miles before i took ownership

As an overall ownership experience.....nothing quite prepared me for the running costs. Long term average was 33mpg. I guess living in the Valleys of Wales doesn’t help. A normal tank would range from 400-450 miles. It was on a run that the A6 showed what it was designed for; to cross continents at speed and comfort. On a run i could extend the range beyond 500 miles

it had an appetite for tyres too; average set lasting 12,000 miles and i tried Michelins (10,000 miles), UniRoyals and Goodyears. Tyre wear was even as I usually had the car tracked every 18 months or so

Actual servicing wasn’t too bad. Being on longlife meant it was usually approx 16,000 miles between services. I never had to top up the oil between services either.

It was the niggly stuff that started to irritate me. During lockdown the front parking camera failed; £193 to replace that little gem!
Rear wiper motor was £90
I had the lower arms replaced at £140 per side
Then there was the leaking panroof. I tried the Captain Tolley repair method. It worked. Well, i think it did as more often than not the interior remained free of water. Then randomly I’d find some water?? Was frying my brain.

So why not another Audi? I’ve owned an A3 and an A6. I had thought about going back to an A3 but i know i will miss the power and effortless performance of 6 cylinders. I don’t like the new A4 and again the lack of a 6 cylinder put me off. The new A6 is out of my price range and I no longer need a car the size of the A6 anywway.

I don’t like Mercedes styling or design so that leaves me with BMW. Initially I wasn’t overly fussed but having sat in a few they started to grow on me. The 3 series in Touring form is a smart looking car and fits the bill between downsizing but not losing too much over the A6. The fact a 6 cylinder engine can be placed under the bonnet makes me a happy chap in terms of performance requirements.

So that’s it from me. Will I return to Audi in the future? Who knows?

I hope you’ve enjoyed reading my ramblings :)
Cheers
Rhys

Reactions: SBJ, J10NMM, Buxton2901 and 1 other person
Nice1 mate.
Enjoy the BMW I do love the look of the 3 series tourings.
Only thing that I didn't like was the way the X drive cars seems higher suspension wise than the rear wheel drive cars, something to do with BMW fitting the rear diff and all the 4 wheel drive stuff. Not sure if this is still the case
Post up some pics when you get it bud
Paul

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

I’ll be purchasing some lowering springs and spacers before the end of the week to sort out that issue :D

Here’s a couple of pictures (don’t lynch me lol)

Reactions: DickoB8, Bulldog and J10NMM
Very nice BM I looked at a couple of 3 series before the A6 but for me the interior quality let them down but then I suppose many say the driving experience out weighs that. It certainly has not put me off a BMW in the future the 6cyl diesels are a lot cheaper than the Audi equivalent which is a massive selling point.

Very nice BM I looked at a couple of 3 series before the A6 but for me the interior quality let them down but then I suppose many say the driving experience out weighs that. It certainly has not put me off a BMW in the future the 6cyl diesels are a lot cheaper than the Audi equivalent which is a massive selling point.

I initially had the same thoughts but after having spent nearly a week inside the interior quality is excellent and the controls etc are in just the right place. The only thing catching me out is the starter button location; i keep reaching for the centre console lol

In terms of driving experience the BMW is superior to the Audi. In the Audi you were always aware that the engine was ahead of the front axle and it would feel like the front end would just want to washout as you push into a corner. The lack of feedback meant I was never fully confident that the car would stick.

The BMW in contrast just turns in and bites. There is a slight deadness either side of centre but feedback is stronger, giving you more confidence

Its a little unfair to compare them directly as the 3 series is a smaller and lighter car so should be more nimble and responsive, which it is. The fact it can do the effortless cruising like the A6 could makes it an excellent all rounder. And yes I am aware I have new car fever so may be slightly biased at this point of ownership! :D

Reactions: DickoB8