Right I have gotta ask - Cabriolet Headlight Options ?

Devilhunter

Reaction score
Had a good look around and I cant find any info on how to solve the A4 / S4 B6 Cabriolet poor hid headlights issue. I have come to the conclusion that mine are shot with both the reflectors and lenses badly worn.
Surely there must be some aftermarket lights or can the lenses be removed and replaced (mine are discoloured on the inside too). This is a problem with BMW E39 headlights but plenty of options are available but even Retrolab stuff seems years old and only deals with halogen to xenon.
I cant be the only cabriolet owner with the headlight problem ?

Last edited:
I managed to get an aftermarket set by Depo for my saloon on eBay. Have you tried there? Depo lights are popular as they are also sold abroad, but they have a selector switch inside to swap between LHD and RHD.

Have you tried wet, dry & G3 to clear up the lenses, done this for a B6 in the past, lenses were almost new looking when I had finished.

Thanks for the reply nhn but the lens seems to be discoloured on the inside as well as the out side.
6872C227 09AF 4E44 A27D 1D2796C4723C

Are you sure, as they look identical to ones I've buffed clear again, you've definitely got condensation, so check the rear for covers perished or missing, also check the joints for leaks, reseal with sikaflex or the same.

Are you sure, as they look identical to ones I've buffed clear again, you've definitely got condensation, so check the rear for covers perished or missing, also check the joints for leaks, reseal with sikaflex or the same.
I will have a good look and report back. Whats the best way to remove the condensation ? - hairdryer then reseal the covers. i may look at getting new rear covers too.

@Devilhunter Hi there - we're in the same boat my friend. My B6 3.0 V6 cab is also a victim of poor dipped headlights.
I used T-Cut and a soft duster and improved the outside a huge amount. I shall do them again with a rotary buffer to get a nice finish. This will help.
However, the poor output is a real problem. The halogen main beams are ace but the dipped xenons are really bad.

I'm considering Retrolabs to get a replacement kit with new ballasts; are you concerned these might also be pap? I was thinking at least with new reflectors and new ballasts things would improve significantly.

Please update your thread if you've decided to try an upgrade - I'd like to know what you decide to do.

Julian