RJW's Avant

rjwojcik

Reaction score
So, I’ve been after an estate ( or touring, or avant, or wagon ) for about a year. I had the following in on the short list:
• A6 C7 BiTDI
• S6 C7
• RS6 C7
• M340i
• Octavia vRS
• Golf R Estate

Didn’t fancy front wheel drive or Haldex, which removed the VW group cars. The RS6 was too shouty, fancied something a bit under the radar. Then came Covid, which meant the M340 was also ticked off as too expensive ( risky ) and not any decent discounts were available. This left one of the two Audis. Always fancied one but never had the opportunity to own one.

I’ve been monitoring the car sales websites aggressively since Jan / Feb ( minimum every couple of hours ) and it’s taken almost ten months to get to the point of picking something up soon.

I did have some must haves, which included:
• Sunroof
• Facelift
• Black edition
• Midnight blue or grey

I also decided I would take either the A6 or S6, depending on what come up first.

When I rang for most of the adverts that appeared, the cars had already been sold. Well, the good ones. One of these was on the Audi website, from a local dealer close to me. I rang about a month ago, as soon as I saw it and was told it had already been sold. It then disappeared off their website.

Fast forward to yesterday and it appears again, so it’s been on for about an hour. I call, to be told they’ve had a few calls already ( which may be b/s ). As it was local to me ( 10 mins drive ) I left straight away to have a chat face to face.

The dealership were really busy and the rep I dealt with had to juggle myself and another set of customers. While the other set of customers had gone out for a test drive, I met with the rep.

Apparently, the customer who had “bought” it a month ago had come in that morning to collect it and demanded a discount on the price. They couldn’t agree on terms so the car was put back up on sale immediately.

I was asked if I wanted to test drive it and was given approx. 30 minutes to take it out ( by myself ). Due to Covid, they can’t do accompanied test drives now. Result!!!

This is the surreal bit, now.

1. I was less than 5 mins away from my preferred Vw/Audi indi that I’ve used for ten years plus, so the first thing I did was rock up and ask them if they could do a quick inspection. Luckily they fitted me in straight away ( being a loyal customer helped, their getting a crate of beers this weekend ) and apart from the usual wear and tear, couldn’t find anything of concern.

2. When I looked in the glove box, I also found an invoice for a service. It had details of what looked like the previous owner ( + their telephone number ). I rang them, maybe a bit cheeky but why not. After explaining why I was ringing them, they confirmed the car had been theirs and confirmed it had not been in any accidents or been unreliable.

I then took it for a blast and probably returned 45 minutes later to Audi, and was keen to do a deal.

Figures were agreed and a PCP was offered. That night I did a money supermarket search and found a 7 year loan for 3%. This is what I’ve done for several of my previous purchases and just pay off the balance of the loan when I sell the car.

The loan was approved last night and the money arrived in my bank account this morning. I’m due to collect tomorrow.

So what did I get? The details are:

Audi A6 Avant Black Edition 3.0 TDI quattro 320 PS, with the following:
• Midnight blue
• Flat-bottomed steering wheel with gear-shift paddles
• All-LED headlights including high-beam assist
• Black Edition
• Electrically adjustable front seats with memory function for driver’s side
• Heated, electrically adjustable, electrically folding and auto-dimming, with automatic kerb-view
• Panoramic glass sunroof
• Technology package

My previous cars include an E82 135i ( heavily modded ), M3 F80 ( lightly modded ) and a VW Golf GTD.

I do have a few plans for it, but will probably keep it for a couple of months before I do. Some things I'm thinking about are:
• De badge
• Rear view cam retro fit
• Traffic sign recognition retro fit
• Black Audi rings up front
• Black chrome for the exhaust tips
• Spacers
• Wheels
• Lowering
• BBK
• Map

Anyone done any of the retro fits. Many thanks.

Watch this space…

Reactions: Redreels, blackwood, DickoB8 and 2 others
Nice choice and welcome to Audi's. Unfortunately now you have one it's hard to leave Audi. I'm on my 3rd one now since I had my first Audi. I've worked my way up from the A3 then TT skipped the at Nd got the A6. I've got the salmon not estate. However my next Audi will be an Avant. Easy best estate on the market. RS6 would be ideal but realistically not affordable so I'm looking at RS4 however if the RS4 was not an option I'd have no issue with another 3.0l TDI engine. The BiTDI look interesting however from what I've seen on cost of parts they seem ridiculous to the normal TDI and even RS4. I'd say good choice. In regards to mapping had mine done yesterday and I can't wait to go drive again now
Enjoy and very nice

Reactions: rjwojcik
Just picked it up. Comes with two years warranty.
I was hoping I could program the * button on the steering wheel to step through the driving modes, but in the MMI it looks like you can only select a small number of options.

The BiTdi is a great car. engine is incredible out of the box and with a remap its insane. You wont get bored of it anytime soon.
Have a look at the 360 deg cam kit if you fit it as its really good. I fitted this a while ago and worth the hassle
I have a full RS6 BBK on ebay at the moment in case you might be interested

Welcome to Lucifer, considering he drinks the devils fuel.

Quick photo shoot this morning:

Plans are for cosmetics and retro fits this year, so:
  • Debadge
  • Black Audi rings on the grill
  • Sun strip
  • Black exhaust tips
  • OEM Audi Genuine Reversing Camera (High) and Audi Smartphone Interface (Apple CarPlay and Android Auto)
Not too sure what next year will bring but considering stance, wheels, BBK, and stage 1 or 2.

Reactions: blackwood, James.c and DonkeyIce
Anyone finding their heated seats a bit weak. I use mine at a 2 which I can just about feel, can't feel a 1 at all.

Welcome to Lucifer, considering he drinks the devils fuel.

Quick photo shoot this morning:

Plans are for cosmetics and retro fits this year, so:
  • Debadge
  • Sun strip
  • Black exhaust tips
  • OEM Audi Genuine Reversing Camera (High) and Audi Smartphone Interface (Apple CarPlay and Android Auto)
Not too sure what next year will bring but considering stance, wheels, BBK, and stage 1 or 2.

Very nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a car you have i’d love a Bi-TDi such capable cars but efficient when needed! Fast and efficiency shouldn’t go together :D

Reactions: blackwood and rjwojcik
Heated seats are as good as my previous A4 B8.5 - as above put on setting 3 to start and they will automatically go down to 2 after a while. Then put on 1 if you just want a bit of warmth.

Agree a 3 gets very hot, I didn't know they go down to a 2 by themselves, I've always changed the settings as it's too painful.

How long does it take for them to change by themselves?

Busy weekend, completed the following:
  • Debadge
  • Sun strip

Next challenge I think is to figure out how I can take the exhaust tips off so that I can get them coated. Any ideas that doesn't involve taking the bumper off. I'm thinking it's a case of getting the diffuser off.

Have also booked the following upgrades c/o @DJAlix at VAG Car Coding ( https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/forums/news-and-information.387/ ) next month:
  • Reversing Camera Retrofit
  • Audi Smartphone Interface
  • MMI System Firmware update

Reactions: blackwood, DonkeyIce, Bishop187 and 2 others
Next challenge... What's the easiest why to get the exhaust tips removed, or is it a bumper off job? I've got the diffuser off but can't reach the screws that holds the exhausts tips in place. Grrrr...

Any tips, please

Very smart I like that goes with the whole Black edition pack nicely. For me though the A6 rear needs the 4 rings it’s such a large boot it looks bare without :) but each to their own!

Reactions: Bulldog
Very smart I like that goes with the whole Black edition pack nicely. For me though the A6 rear needs the 4 rings it’s such a large boot it looks bare without :) but each to their own!

Not a problem, SWMBO is saying the same. Rings now ordered...

My passenger wiper arm is doing my head in, I'm thinking it's too far up? I can see it from the driver's seat. What's it like for anyone else?

It should be covering the VIN number, that is a good couple of inch too high.

Yeah that’s too high when comparing to mine. Has the windscreen been replaced? They may have had the wipers off just a thought

God knows, but thanks. From what I've read, you can unbolt the arm and adjust it. Small job for the weekend.

God knows, but thanks. From what I've read, you can unbolt the arm and adjust it. Small job for the weekend.

Remember Park ur Wipers 1st on ur MMI Screen, And close the bonnet before Starting the Car.. They Park Automatically if you start the car with the bonnet up.

My passenger wiper arm is doing my head in, I'm thinking it's too far up? I can see it from the driver's seat. What's it like for anyone else?

All sorted...

A bit of a PITA removing the arm, tried WD-40 but had to invest in a Wiper Arm Removal Tool in the end.

Reactions: blackwood
Been a while since my last update. Managed to sort out a reverse camera, Android Auto and some Thinkware Q800Pro dash cams, c/o @DJAlix . Thanks @DJAlix .

And Waze...

Reactions: blackwood, Bishop187 and DJAlix
Been a while since my last update. Managed to sort out a reverse camera, Android Auto and some Thinkware Q800Pro dash cams, c/o @DJAlix . Thanks @DJAlix .

And Waze...
Was great to meet both yourself and your car!

A couple from the 2 channel Thinkware Q800Pro Installation today:

A176700C 768D 4D0C 8E7D 4F03ACD00514

665CBAFB EF48 44B0 9C39 A170F1C2156A

A0A80179 A4CE 4CA0 BB59 44166E1A4B25

Reversing camera calibration:

F1013A9B 5A5C 4232 8F01 031A213DE791

Reactions: blackwood, Bishop187, NevMan and 1 other person
Hi @DJAlix I recently send you a email to your contact info here ..I was wondering if you got a chance to look at it.

Heated seat memory question team. The heated front seats are switched on, the ignition is switched off and the car is then locked. Upon returning to the car, unlocking and switching on the ignition, the passenger heated seat is switched off and the drivers seat remains on, on the last setting. Is this normal?

Sounds correct to me as some functions last settings are retained and matched to the key you use. Mirror positions, climate settings, radio station, heated seats...

Thats my guess.

Sounds correct to me as some functions last settings are retained and matched to the key you use. Mirror positions, climate settings, radio station, heated seats...

Thats my guess.

Thanks, but just for the drivers seat on not the passengers? It's nice in a way as now that it's cold I don't have to keep pressing the heated seat when I use the car but I'm also worried I may burn out the heating elements. I've never has this "feature" in any of my previous cars and just wondered if someone had coded it this way on this one.

There is no heating memory function for the passenger seat

Reactions: blackwood and rjwojcik
I've been looking at batteries today, prices for the same battery ( 95 amp hour ) are massive. ECP £465, Car Parts 4 Less £230, Amazon £137. Am I missing something? Or is there another supplier or make I should be looking at. I've tried to go for the largest amp hour I could find. TIA

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/exid...v0z3L0M6pkCMNElv3oPY2onm7prhTh2x-4jE3iNVi_DOY

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/p/e...b3SficzhL3NUqXPMIaouWML20aLxHapofKACnhUQp6R7E

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Exide-AGM-Battery-Warranty-Electrical

personally I'd be going back to the dealership and letting them put a new battery on it, you've only had the car 8weeks..

personally I'd be going back to the dealership and letting them put a new battery on it, you've only had the car 8weeks..

Is the battery not classed as a consumable? I'll need to re read the small print.

Car's four years old now, not seen any evidence it's failing, just doing a bit of research should I need to source a replacement.

Since I have my stop/start turned off, I will not be buying a "Stop/Start"-rated AGM battery when the time comes. I will still purchase a large-ish battery, but not one rated for "heavy-traffic" use.
I have used Tayna Batteries a couple of times now as they have a good selection, are competitively priced and offer next day delivery (providing the couriers do not lose the battery!)

Hope this helps,

John

Last edited:
Reactions: Bulldog and rjwojcik
Battery should last 6 years + If you not doing many miles just get yourself a good quality AGM battery charger.

Reactions: Bulldog
With Covid and working from home, my car hasn't been getting much usage and when it has its been small journeys only but have noticed a couple of messages in display with combinations "battery discharging, start engine" "system will shut down soon" "battery weak". Also had a few laboured starts. So have bought a CTEK MSX 5.0 (Amazon £69) and had it on charge last night and today. When I first plugged it in it started on segment 2 (low battery) and finished on 8 (good charge) but in-between a couple of shortish ignition on sessions with VCDS, the charger dropped back down to show segment 2 (low battery). Hoping this isn't that start of a failing battery (car 2 years old) and the charger reconditions it.

My car is fitted with a Varta 7P0915105C AGM 92Ah.
IMG 6013
And the Varta website recommendation replacement is AGM 95Ah 595 901 085 ~£178

Last edited: