RNS-E Crash

Spook

Reaction score
Went to see Craigyb to sort out my RNS-E coding on Saturday (thanks Craig - top man :icon_thumright: ). He mentioned that there is a known issue with SW 0550 that causes the unit to crash/freeze when certain key combinations are used. I found this interesting as it had happened to me a few times; the unit locks completely and won't even reset using the on/off switch reset procedure. It only clears when the ignition has been left switched off for a while.

I wondered whether anyone has had the same problem? Craig says there is a new software update that fixes things (SW 0600). Has anyone with this had any "crashes" since installing it?

Spook said:
Went to see Craigyb to sort out my RNS-E coding on Saturday (thanks Craig - top man :icon_thumright: ). He mentioned that there is a known issue with SW 0550 that causes the unit to crash/freeze when certain key combinations are used. I found this interesting as it had happened to me a few times; the unit locks completely and won't even reset using the on/off switch reset procedure. It only clears when the ignition has been left switched off for a while.

I wondered whether anyone has had the same problem? Craig says there is a new software update that fixes things (SW 0600). Has anyone with this had any "crashes" since installing it?

Sort of.....

My unit appear to 'lock up' at the S3 MMI screen when starting up recently. The DIS said 'MP3 Load' and it wouldn't respond to anything.
I was in Nav mode. No buttons worked at all. After about 5minutes it came back to life.

This has only happened once (so far).

I've got 2x4Gb cards in and sometimes the load is instant - other times I get a blank 'MP3 Card X' listing when I'm on the MP3 display and starting up.

I'm not overly worried at the moment - but intend to keep an eye on it.
If there is an update I hope it's covered under warranty.... :)

I run SW550 and hav sen a few lockups. It usually happens first thing on a morning, if I switch to nav and press the map button the unit freezes. It can be reset using the two button, I forget the combination ;( reset method. Would like to try SW600 to see if that provides a fix.

Regards, John.

Think the reset is holding the radio and setup buttons.

Very interested in the SW600 software to see if anything if different and the few bugs have been fixed like the shuffle option on the cd/mp3 going off if any keys are pressed!

Craig, any details?

Interesting - my 0550 has done this several times too. And it's exactly as JohnS3 described it; you can access everything with no problem, but when you go to Nav and then press map, it freezes.

However, when it has done this on a long journey, it has recovered after around 15-20 minutes and then functions normally. The other strange thing is that if you're listening to MP3s or radio, the playback carries on as normal.

Try updating to 0600. It may cure all the problems:icon_thumright:

I am running i and have had no crashes.