RNS-E help

richardn

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just got my RNS-E after almost a month of it sitting in customs and saw that the guy i got it from forgot to put the antenna adapter in. Is there a way around this or will i have to wait another month or so for that to get here?

Thanks a lot

If you mean the main adapter that connects to the car, then no - there's no way round it. You could however try and source one from the UK and then sell the other one when it arrives? Might be a faster way to get started.

I've got the gps antenna... I'm talking about the radio antenna adapter...

Richard, What headunit came with your car? If it was one of the latest II+ units you don't need the adaptor as you already have the correct wiring in the car.

Richard, What headunit came with your car? If it was one of the latest II+ units you don't need the adaptor as you already have the correct wiring in the car.

Really!?! Well it's the symphony but i'm not sure how to check if its a II or a II+.

Does it look like this? If so this is a II+ unit and you don't need the adaptor, it's all plug and play but you have to move the Bose wire, but I think we covered that before didn't we?

radio.jpg

Plug and play? As in I could buy an RNS-E unit from ebay, fit it myself and my mobile phone prep and everything will work fine????

Reply for Staz -

Yes, after a bit of vagcom coding. and you have a wire to move if your car has Bose.

Quadlock.jpg

Plug and play? As in I could buy an RNS-E unit from ebay, fit it myself and my mobile phone prep and everything will work fine????

Well yes but you will need to do a little vag coding to get it to work 100% with the rest of your car.

john my connector thingy didn't come with plug A... Is that because bose doesn't need it?

Also if I were to buy an A4/TT model could I get it programmed to display S3 on the boot screen?

EDIT: I just noticed the TT one is a different shape so it'd have to be an A4 one then.

john my connector thingy didn't come with plug A... Is that because bose doesn't need it?

Yes plug A is for the speakers. As you have Bose your speakers are driven from the Amp in the rear of the car, hence no plug!

Also if I were to buy an A4/TT model could I get it programmed to display S3 on the boot screen?

EDIT: I just noticed the TT one is a different shape so it'd have to be an A4 one then.

You have to buy an A3 model as it has rounded corners and yes you can indeed code the S3 startup screen.

Cheers John.

So now I just have to wait until one appears. How much just for the programming once I get it just out of interest?

Also where do you fit the GPS attenna?

AND also I have a connect 2 kit for my MP3 player, that'll still work too yeah? I'm going to fit it to this car shortly so I'm also hoping it works on the sympII+!

It's worth mentioning that after the retrofit you'll have a DTC error "ZF short to earth" This is due to the newer Concert II+/Symphony II+ equipped cars having a different antenna system. So you may or may not get poor FM reception. You can make an adaptor to fix it, have a read here for more info.

Don't forget that Bose wire. Do you have vagcom to code the unit for your car? and your car for your unit?

I'm quite sure the connector i'm using was setup for bose already so i should be fine... I hope. I'll double check it though.

I don't have vagcom but a friend said he'd help me out. Can anything go wrong with me not coding it and driving around for a day or two?

It's worth mentioning that after the retrofit you'll have a DTC error "ZF short to earth" This is due to the newer Concert II+/Symphony II+ equipped cars having a different antenna system. So you may or may not get poor FM reception. You can make an adaptor to fix it, have a read here for more info.

Yeah been told about that error a few times... Doesn't bother me much. Where will this error be displayed? Vagcom?

The poor FM reception doesn't bother me at all. I haven't used the radio once since i got the car.

If you know somebody that has VAG-COM then it shouldn't cost you more than a few beer tokens. Only about a 5 minute job to configure it.

There's a wee cubby hole above the radio hole where you can fit the antenna.

Can't answer the one on the connect 2 kit.

Cheers John.

So now I just have to wait until one appears. How much just for the programming once I get it just out of interest?

Also where do you fit the GPS attenna?

AND also I have a connect 2 kit for my MP3 player, that'll still work too yeah? I'm going to fit it to this car shortly so I'm also hoping it works on the sympII+!

You need to code the car to tell it it has navigation. Code the RNSe to tell it your tyre size, if you have Bose, or phone prep, CD changer or multi function wheel, LHD/RHD and also set the startup screen. Startup logos are only available with software 0500 onwards in Europe.

Fit the GPS antenna on top of the glove box, thats where mine is (and most others) and I pick up 5 to 7 sats with ease.

Your connects kit just replaces your CD changer so it should work OK.

I'm quite sure the connector i'm using was setup for bose already so i should be fine... I hope. I'll double check it though.

I don't have vagcom but a friend said he'd help me out. Can anything go wrong with me not coding it and driving around for a day or two?

When you say connector you aren't planning on using one of these are you?

rnsea43.jpg

If so you don't need it as the car already has what's called a quadlock connector, the plug on the left (one plug containing 4 mini plugs) You will need to move the Bose wire in your existing plug which is currently connected to your Symphony unit.

You need to code the car to tell it it has navigation. Code the RNSe to tell it your tyre size, if you have Bose, or phone prep, CD changer or multi function wheel, LHD/RHD and also set the startup screen. Startup logos are only available with software 0500 onwards in Europe.

Fit the GPS antenna on top of the glove box, thats where mine is (and most others) and I pick up 5 to 7 sats with ease.

Your connects kit just replaces your CD changer so it should work OK.

I have most of those! I didn't have to tell my previous head unit that I was fitting a CD changer when I was fitting the Connects2, I take it RNS-e is different.

Also where do Audi fit the GPS antenna? I don't really want to have the antenna on show if I can get away with it!

Have a read here for more info.

My RNSe is coded 0209717 so you can see what's enabled from the list above.

When you say connector you aren't planning on using one of these are you?

If so you don't need it as the car already has what's called a quadlock connector, the plug on the left (one plug containing 4 mini plugs) You will need to move the Bose wire in your existing plug which is currently connected to your Symphony unit.

Oh you're kidding me so it's that easy! You don't really need anything to do the install just unplug, swap pin, plug everything back in including GPS antenna, vagcom code and you're away!?!?

Oh you're kidding me so it's that easy! You don't really need anything to do the install just unplug, swap pin, plug everything back in including GPS antenna, vagcom code and you're away!?!?

Correctomundo! :idea:

I have most of those! I didn't have to tell my previous head unit that I was fitting a CD changer when I was fitting the Connects2, I take it RNS-e is different.

Also where do Audi fit the GPS antenna? I don't really want to have the antenna on show if I can get away with it!
I think when you connect an accessory to the head unit it automatically recodes itself to pick it up.

I've fitted a Phatnoise Jukebox to three different head units (Symphony II\II+ and RNS-e) and each time it recoded.

7 - Base plate diagnostic capable with comfort control???
What is that for? Bluetooth? Must i just put 1 - no telephone (supply voltage for microphone actively)

7 - Base plate diagnostic capable with comfort control???
What is that for? Bluetooth? Must i just put 1 - no telephone (supply voltage for microphone actively)

Yes it's for the phone, if you don't have one fitted you won't have the mic!

I think they have a "reputation" have a search around. I'd contact S8craig as he's done may install for members of this forum and he's a nice chap too!

http://www.tclsatnav.com/index.html

oo er! Well I called them up but they're out of stock for at least 2 weeks anyway. But just so you know it's the £750 all in, no matter what extras need programming.

I'll PM s8craig also.

Oh yes and my connects 2 doesn't fit in the back of symphII+! I'll just have to use the aux input for now I guess.