RNS-E Just Installed! - Few Questions...

Hi
I have just got a 2006 RNS-E Sat Nav unit with GPS cable and removal pins. I have a new 09 Sportback with a standard Audi Concert with Bose. Will I need any wiring loom/harness to connect this system, or is it a straight swap out?.

In short, do I need to buy or do anything else to install this system apart from take out old put in new and pop the antenna in above the glovebox. Any help gratefully received. Oh and do I need to adjust anything for Bose connection?

Hastie

Your car will have the same quadlock connector, you just have to move the bose wire. You may run into radio reception issues which NHN has already mentioned.

1. You need to tell the car it has nav fitted, so code the CAN gateway to suit.
2. Code the RNSe to suit the options fitted to your car
3. Change various adaptation channels to fine tune the setup

This page should be a big help.
http://audiforum.us/knowledge-base/62-vag-codes-rns-e.html

Where are you? I'm sure someone would do it for you in exchange for some beer tokens!

Thanks John, I'm in Norwich however work in London 3 days a week. beer tokens would be more than welcome to anyone who could help...

When you say code the CAN gateway you lose me?

You need to connect a PC to the car running VCDS with a special cable. This lets you talk to the various modules in the car, change codings and look for errors. There are lots of folks on here with VCDS (or vagcom as it used to be called) I'm sure there will be someone close to you who can help out.

Will this not work without changing settings in the gateway then? I was under the impression it would be a easy swap without diagnostic changers.. If so would Audi do this for me as its a company car?

If anyone wants to earn a few quid and do the settings for me then please shout!.

Thanks for your help.

It will work, but to do the job right you'll need to change a few settings. It may not work with your phone kit or multifunction steering wheel if the rnse doesn't know they are fitted to the car.

Dealers? Most will tell you it can't be done and even if they tried to do it wouldn't know where to start.

Ok thanks, I will put another thread up when I install the system in May when the new car finally arrives....I won't have the car phone kit fitted until I have had the RNS installed, would this make it easier for Vodafone to connect and do the settings on install?

Sat nav sat waiting is a little depressing :sob:. If anyones within reach between Norwich and London I could easily divert and would appreciate anyones time on these settings. As I say beer tokens would be supplied!.

Thanks for your help and fingers crossed!

Can any of you help?
I have just installed my 2008 version of the RNS-E into my new Black eddition. It has the bose system and to be honest it sounded better with the Audi Concert standard stereo. Is this due to the pin chage being needed?.

On another note, I just got told by Audi that they can't change the pedals on my car as they need a special tool to take out the gas pedal????? Is this ********?. I cant get the thing out either!.

Hastie1776,

Don't know about the RNS-e but the pedals are a doddle to change. See my earlier thread on the subject or contact Soke Audi for the parts.

Hastie1776,

Don't know about the RNS-e but the pedals are a doddle to change. See my earlier thread on the subject or contact Soke Audi for the parts.

Cant get it out, any guidance:readit:? I just PM'd you.

This has moved slightly off topic however,

Have a look at this link:-

http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=2194350

Also I have taken a photo of the bottom of my old pedal:-

IMG_1876.jpg

Insert two flat bottomed screwdrivers or other small flat items such as a nail file into the two groves which can be seen at the front of the pedal and push the clip on the left backwards and the clip on the right to the left. (remember the photo is at a reverse angle). You may need to wobble the pedal abouts slightly. With a bit of perseverance (and luck) it will come away. Make sure you have undone all the other screws as in the link above.

The rnse needs coding to suit the car options and the bose pin needs moving

I've done the pedal swap 3 times now and it really is all about brute force, on the first occasion i did snap one of the attaching lugs on the original gas pedal but it still ent back on come PX time. On the other 2 occasions I just followed the instructions and gave it a good tug with no problems, one of those mods that is awkward due to access but worthwhile.

Good luck

The rnse needs coding to suit the car options and the bose pin needs moving

have you got that pin movement guide again John?
Looks like I'm going to need a vagcom local to London!. Anyone?

Oh and the pedals got done late laste night!!! The car now has S3 wheels, pedals and grill along with the chrome buttoned RNS-E. All in a day. Pedals are complete ***** and yep total brutal force needed!.

Thanks to everyone on here as I have spent the last two months preparing all these things ready for when the car got delivered. It looks ace!. Thanks again!.

Any vag around london want to earn some cash?

Thanks

Hastie

Can someone help? as I have the unit hanging out trying to get this sorted.

The 7 slot has a blue wire in and the 5 slot has a brown?. Does this mean BOSE is already connected via the 7 slot?. Should the stereo come up with BOSE like the concert stereo use to?

Thanks.

Erm, no. You did have a concert/symphony unit fitted. The Bose wire on this is on pin 5 and you have to move it to pin 7 for the RNSe. Have a look at the wiring diagrams on the tops of both units. As you have found, you already have a wire on pin 7, so you should label it, insulate it and tape it out of the way in the loom.

Erm, no. You did have a concert/symphony unit fitted. The Bose wire on this is on pin 5 and you have to move it to pin 7 for the RNSe. Have a look at the wiring diagrams on the tops of both units. As you have found, you already have a wire on pin 7, so you should label it, insulate it and tape it out of the way in the loom.

Thanks so much John!.... now going to get this finished and hopefully it will sound less pants!.

Cheers

Hastie