RNS-E removal with keys

Geraldy212

Sportback owner
Reaction score
I have purchased four removal keys so that I can take out my RNS-E unit for servicing. Tried the first key (behind the motorised screen) and found that it will go in, seems to be pushing against a spring, but it does not 'click' nor lock in place. I expected it to lock onto the fixing spring clips and then when the RNS-E was out one can release the spring behing the front panel. Have not dared to push the other three into their slots in case they do lock-in and I am left with one that does not. Does anyone know if these keys do lock into place, or if they do not always lock, they still have moved the mechanism to allow the RNS-E to release and move forward? If the keys do lock, can they be removed with a strong pull? Hate to be driving around with removal keys sticking out of the RNS-E. I guess my keys may not be the best (eBay), so are there some really good keys to be found? Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Make sure when all 4 keys are slotted in that the flat edge of the key is facing outwards (as if pointing away from the screen), then pull all 4 keys outwards & back towards you at the same time.

i hate those cheap keys that most companies sell, really hard to get the units out and it feels like it will cut your finger off. push in the key hard so that it clips behind the metal... those cheap keys are flimsy so they dont push tooo well against the radio unit but patience and a lot of swearing will help you

I usually try to take out the climate unit or the glove box and get my hand behind the unit so when the keys are in place and loosened up the unit i can just push from behind.

My cheap eBay keys were the same and did not lock in, but I still managed to get it out.

Smear a bit of candle wax to the ends of them which should help matters. Mine were like scraping a file down the edge of a sheet of glass they were that dog rough !

put some tape on the rings
got they hurt

My cheap eBay keys were the same. Ordered some Audi keys from stoke Audi and they are so much better.

I bought the cheap ebay ones too. Filed down the rough edges and then coated the handles in self vulcanising tape.......they work a treat now and dont try to cut your fingers off when trying to extract the unit.

Thanks for all the ideas. I tried filing down these cheap keys, but they still don't seem to lock in properly. Can somebody please give me the reference to a store that sells the genuine Audi keys, or ones that have proved to work properly? Failing that, can any member loan me his working keys for a few days? I will pay for postage (to France), will offer to deposit some cash into his PayPal account, to be returned when I send them back.

Well, I tried again and finally was able to remove the unit from the dash. This was using the cheap E-Bay keys which did not 'snap' into position. Advice to members trying the remove the RNS-E unit would be to have a very thin knife (from the kitchen) not at all sharp but flexible. With the keys in place, it was possible to slip the knife in the gap between the RNS-E unit and the frame and VERY gently put some pressure on the unit. One can then see the unit moving forwards just a bit as you move the keys towards the outside (which further compresses the locking spring). Wiggling it a bit and it starts to move forwards a milimeter or so. Continuing to wiggle and applying some very gentle pressure with the thin knife, the unit will move forward enough to grab the edges with the fingertips and pull it all the way out. Well that's what happened to me. After that, took off the top panel and cleaned the laser lens. Hope this has made a difference, so will check this week as it is still very hot here. Good luck guys.

I used two wooden spoons through the keys using outward pressure at the same time to overcome the springs.
Worked a treat and won't mark your dash etc.

Igooch, I read somewhere that folks who have tried your method of removing the RNS-E have found themselves with a screen in their hands, with the unit still in the dash. Great fun that!

Don't pull on the screen. When the screen is folded out you can reach underneath it and grab the actual head unit. There is a small slot where you can get at least three fingers in. Under no circumstances would I recommend you grabbing the screen and pulling.

I hope that this makes sense.

Yes that makes sense. After a few seconds, my screen folds back into the upright position. Maybe one has to be very quick with this approach. Anyway, it's good to hear of a way to pull the beast out of the dash. My trick with a knife did in fact work quite well.