RNS-E which one?

Ro55

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Dont shoot me for this but im abit miffed...ive read most how to's DIY's ect ect but some and the most popular ones seem to say i need a certain RNS-E unit...is this right? of course it has to be from an A4 because of the shape...but if i bought one from USA or Germany would they still work? just need the right maps installed?

Dont want to spend £2-300+ and be stuck with a unit i cant use.

Thanks

usa would need the firmware changed. the european ones are all the same.

you can also buy the newer led version from a seat exeo which will fit.

you can also buy an a3 one but you will need to change the fascia which is a bit fiddly.

Ive heard the firmware change is hit or miss,get it wrong and its ruined? so ill leave that.shame quite cheap.

LED!! sounds cool.

Changing the fascia.im ok with that.suppose id need to source a facsia though.can you buy them? or would i need a donor unit?

just buy a european one, you'll save time and effort in the long run.

yes you'll need a fascia which can be hard to get on their own.

Won't the writing on the buttons be in German etc if you get one from Europe?

I didn't realise that as I've never looked for one, but I suppose it saves them manufacturing costs if they're all in English.

Here's a short write-up comparing the Mk. I to Mk II I put in the ICE section a couple of years ago. The formatting doesn't work in that thread any longer so here it is again:

I thought I'd post something for those thinking about upgrading or purchasing an RNS-E unit.

I upgraded to a mark II because my eBay-sourced mark I failed and I thought, rather than pay another £300 for a unit that could also fail I would be better off investing in a mark 2 from NHN.

Mark IIs were never released for the B6/B7 platform and the fascias for other models are incompatible with my dash. If you're in a similar situation you can either buy one from a similar model (I believe the Seat Exeo has the same fascia as it's based on the B6/B7) or splice a mark I fascia with a unit from a newer model (I believe mine was a unit from a newer A3).

Positives and negatives for the mark II.

Positives:
  • Takes 2 x 32 GB SDHC cards (mark I only takes up to 4 GB SC cards (non-HC)).
  • As far as I can see there's no file/folder limit - although I can fit so much on there it's hard to tell (mark I was limited to 400 files or folders so I could never get anywhere near the 4 GB capacity, even at 320 Kbps).
  • Higher resolution.
  • When flicking through the music directories it waits about 30 seconds before returning to the 'now playing' view (mark I only waits 3 seconds so it's difficult to browse and drive simultaneously).
  • The SD cards load faster at start-up.
  • Assuming you leave the cards in the unit, you return to where you were last listening when switching between cards (mark I always starts at first song in first folder when switching)
  • Has a new 'track info' display (replaces the 'MP3 Control' view on mark I) with more info for current track; shows Contributing Artists field which is useful for compilations/mixes.
  • Lists all media together in the selection menu (SD cards, CDs, external devices, etc.) (different menus to get to CD changer etc. in mark I).
Negatives:
  • There's a delay of a second or so* when the unit loads a new track which is quite irritating if you're listening to a mix (I can't remember if there was any delay with the mark I but, if there was, it was negligible).
  • I can no longer set the S4 logo on the start screen because the mark II was never available for S4s, I guess.
*I'm using SanDisk Extreme III Class 10 UHS-I cards with a supposed 80 MBps read speed. I've tried full-to-the-brim, just a couple of albums and using M3U playlists but nothing I've tried removes the delay. I've heard that the external hard drive you can plug in has no delays.
I can't really comment on any other features as I only every use the media or sat nav functions.

Overall the mark II is a better unit so if you can get one for a similar price to a mark I that would be the preference but I'm not sure it's worth spending a lot of money on if you already have a mark I (unless you're desperate for extra SD capacity).