Rnse retrofit poor radio reception help

AvantAlexB7

Reaction score
Ive posted about this in the b7 section but not managed to draw much of a conclusion.

I have a 2006 b7 avant with factory fit symphony HU.

I while back i retrofitted a mk1 RNSE. The retrofit went well and all works as it should, except for very poor radio reception. The majority of local stations are "greyed out" while the majority of the BBC stations are still displayed in orange. I have checked all antenna connections and all looks good but still no luck.

Looking on the interwebs seems to show others having issues with radio reception caused by the white antenna amplifier behind the N/S trim in the boot. Could this be my issue? The factory symphony unit works perfectly without fault so could it possibly be a wiring discrepancy between cars with factory fit rnse and symphony HUs?

Any help would be great!

Cheers Alex

The symphony II radio and RNS-E share the same antenna systems, so it should work straight away as long as you have the correct antenna adaptor cable to convert the ISO antenna connector to the FAKRA connectors.

If these are ok then I suspect your RNS-E maybe faulty as it worked well with your symphony.

The symphony II radio and RNS-E share the same antenna systems, so it should work straight away as long as you have the correct antenna adaptor cable to convert the ISO antenna connector to the FAKRA connectors.

If these are ok then I suspect your RNS-E maybe faulty as it worked well with your symphony.

Thats not good news. I used this adapter for the fakra connectors.
Screenshot 20190514 182457 eBay

Yep, thats the right adaptor, can't really go wrong with that connector, unless of course it is faulty. Sometimes people dont realise a cable can be faulty. Do you have a multi-meter to check it for shorts or open circuit etc on the cable?

Yep, thats the right adaptor, can't really go wrong with that connector, unless of course it is faulty. Sometimes people dont realise a cable can be faulty. Do you have a multi-meter to check it for shorts or open circuit etc on the cable?

I can try that and report back. Its not the end of the world as i mostly use aux, but id rather it all work as it should.

Cheers for the advise.

Alex