Road Tax Renewed

Ron240

Breaking the stereotype
Reaction score
Just renewed my road tax for the next year - £145.
That's the cheapest I have paid in a long time.....possibly even this century! :openmouth:
I hate paying road tax in general, but cant really complain for a car of this power/performance. :)
This is the second most powerful car I have ever owned....although there is only 10bhp difference. :relaxed:

Reactions: Audi Bairn
£145 bangers cheap as chips
Luxury Road tax is ****** rip off and them c u next Tuesday in parliament had the ordasity to up it to £465
Being honest the standard S3s road tax should be more,my 2015 s3 was £210 per year
Luxury road tax payers are subsidising a lot other car users mate

Reactions: Mythos, Audi Bairn, Jcbmally and 3 others
I miss the £140 from the S3, £450 currently. And imagine this will be £465 next year at renewal. Maybe they can start fixing the 100s of potholes with it

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: RS3 S.
I miss the £140 from the S3, £450 currently. And imagine this will be £465 next year at renewal. Maybe they can start fixing the 100s of potholes with it
Its £465 right now, so when you renew post April 2020 it will likely be £480 if this years rises are applied. :openmouth:
Couldn't agree more on the pothole situation......but pigs are unlikely to fly. :rage:

Reactions: RS3 S.
Its £465 right now, so when you renew post April 2020 it will likely be £480 if this years rises are applied. :openmouth:
Couldn't agree more on the pothole situation......but pigs are unlikely to fly. :rage:
My renewal is March 2020 so hopefully be £465, if somehow that is even a good thing hahah. Crazy, oh well. Is what it is

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ron240
Maybe they can start fixing the 100s of potholes with it
Sadly, it isn't a ring-fenced 'road tax' any more.

It all goes into one big pot and then. it gets spent on all the wrong things.

Sadly, it isn't a ring-fenced 'road tax' any more.

It all goes into one big pot and then. it gets spent on all the wrong things.

Is any tax ring fenced? Appears to me that they are constantly robbing peter to pay Paul with what whatever ******** tax they come up with.. actually that should read robbing us to pay Paul.

............same here my 2018 SQ5 is in the top bracket,robbing ******** at least **** Turpin wore a mask. Just to add these days it's '' vehicle excise duty'' & not ''road tax'' i think they call it?.

That's the cheapest I have paid in a long time.....possibly even this century! :openmouth:
I hate paying road tax in general, but cant really complain for a car of this power/performance. :)
This is the second most powerful car I have ever owned....although there is only 10bhp difference. :relaxed:

That is excellent and definitely a reason to keep below the £40k tax bracket.
As Jassy says, the £40k+ banding jumping up to £465 vs £145 for the same car is disgusting.
I only pay £280 per year for my RS3 which I consider pretty good too.
I know it can be argued that if you can afford a £40k car you can find the extra £320 per year, but it is the principle IMO.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Ron240, Bristle Hound and 1 other person
Should be done on a tiered system, there’s no way someone with a car that’s £41k should be paying the same extra ‘tax’ as someone that’s buying a £81k car year on year :wtf:

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Jassyo06
This issue is that any fair system is going to be too complicated for most people e.g

Emissions: tax at 50% of current bands & put the remaining 50% on fuel duty equivalent to volume of fuel used by a 110g/km non hybrid car doing 10k miles.

Weight in 4 bands (regardless of whether fossil fuel or electric): <1 tonne / 1 tonne to 1.5 tonnes / 1.5 to 2 tonnes / > 2 tonnes

Electric cars & hybrids with a charging socket: £25 National Grid infrastructure levy.

High polluters and/or high mileage cars pay more, as do heavy cars (which do more damage to the road surface).

BUT: high polluters / big engine cars doing low mileage don’t get totally nailed to the wall.

(c)

Last edited:
Yes but.....
my B6 quattro is £415, 227 grms, 1445 kgs, £415 a year … but only 3k miles per year. Backdated several weeks after purchase:disappointed:
The S3, £145 similar weight, ok less grms 7 k per year

I like your National Grid contribution

Any system will have winners and losers though.... and it's just a Government tax, nothing really to do with the roads.

Just imagine if 50% of the population swapped to electric cars within a year or two - Government coffers would be empty !

How about a 3.7 V6 with 339bhp £145 per year :D

Lol

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201811052148370?

It's only money, spend more on fuel :racer::racer::racer::racer:

Hate to say this but my 250ps, 400Nm A4 is only £30 a year, our Mk8 fiesta though, with a 1.0l 99ps engine, is around the same as yours..

Should be done on a tiered system, there’s no way someone with a car that’s £41k should be paying the same extra ‘tax’ as someone that’s buying a £81k car year on year :wtf:

I think it should be on emissions only, don’t agree with if you buy a more expensive car then you should be taxed more.

We are already taxed on earnings, shouldn’t be punished for being able to afford higher value items.

Reactions: AllanG, S32B, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
How about a 3.7 V6 with 339bhp £145 per year :D
I wouldn't thank you for that actually....I would never buy a 370Z - terrible fuel consumption and only average performance from the power of the engine....plus its RWD. :(
Looking at the advert there seems to be some doubt of that particular car qualifying for £145 road tax. There is an asterisk next to the £145 which denotes "If the list price of a car is over £40,000, then an extra £310 will be payable from the second time the vehicle is taxed for up to 5 year", which is incorrect because its currently £320 extra.
The on the road price of a 370 Nismo is currently £40370 basic price.....so it is quite possible that the car for sale would not qualify for the standard rate of tax.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jassyo06 and Audi Bairn
Hate to say this but my 250ps, 400Nm A4 is only £30 a year, our Mk8 fiesta though, with a 1.0l 99ps engine, is around the same as yours..
Your A4 would have been first registered prior to 1st April 2017 so is not subject to the new rules introduced on that date. Your Fiesta was first registered after this date so will be exactly the same to tax as mine.
Its swings and roundabouts.....all cars in the cheaper category went up while the higher ones came down. There are far more cars on UK roads with smaller lower powered engines, so its a win for the government.
Its a win for me as well though because as I said I have not had road tax this cheap for many years. :)

Reactions: cuke2u, Jassyo06 and Audi Bairn
I think it should be on emissions only, don’t agree with if you buy a more expensive car then you should be taxed more.

We are already taxed on earnings, shouldn’t be punished for being able to afford higher value items.
Oh yeah I totally agree I don’t think it should have been brought in to start with. Although with like most things now it exists it won’t be going anywhere anytime soon, so the best we can hope for is it gets tweaked :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: TYb
Yes but.....
my B6 quattro is £415, 227 grms, 1445 kgs, £415 a year … but only 3k miles per year. Backdated several weeks after purchase:disappointed:
The S3, £145 similar weight, ok less grms 7 k per year

I like your National Grid contribution

Any system will have winners and losers though.... and it's just a Government tax, nothing really to do with the roads.

Just imagine if 50% of the population swapped to electric cars within a year or two - Government coffers would be empty !
That’s just it though. If we all changed to EV’s tomorrow those thieving so-and-so’s would simply charge a fortune for them. They hide behind the eco thing but it’s simply a fund raiser.

Same as congestion charges. Why not ban the cars and not charge anything? Generally people aren’t drastically going to change their ways, simply pay more and keep using the car.

And don’t get me started on the possibility of paying to park at your workplace.

Rant over (for now lol)

Reactions: Adam14, Jcbmally, TYb and 2 others
That’s just it though. If we all changed to EV’s tomorrow those thieving so-and-so’s would simply charge a fortune for them. They hide behind the eco thing but it’s simply a fund raiser.
Same as congestion charges. Why not ban the cars and not charge anything? Generally people aren’t drastically going to change their ways, simply pay more and keep using the car.
And don’t get me started on the possibility of paying to park at your workplace.
As you say it has nothing at all to do with eco....simply a way to get more money. The government wouldn't keep moving the goalposts on VED otherwise. When they introduced the zero rate for vehicles under 100g/km co2 there were very few that would qualify for it, but then manufacturers drastically reduced emissions with the result that many vehicles qualified for the zero rate. So if it was all about eco that should have been job done.....but predictably the government needed to have a rethink due to all the money they were losing on VED, therefore the zero rate for petrol/diesel vehicles was scrapped.

Yes the dreaded workplace parking charge.......a tax so unbelievably unfair that it is almost unthinkable! :rage:

Reactions: Audi Bairn

Don't get me started on this mate, my wife recently needed a doctors appointment, she couldn't get one as they had all gone by 9.00am which was the first opportunity she had to phone. All they kept saying was phone tomorrow at 8am and stay on hold! She said "Well unfortunately I have to work for a living, so I can't just phone at 8am and stay on hold". I think that if you work and pay taxes you should be able to book an appointment, let the non working people sit on the phone at 8am and wait around, why should they get treated better than someone who works?
Most of us on here have to pay for dental treatment, eye tests/glasses, prescriptions etc because we work, but if you don't work you get them for free!!!
My dad had to go in a care home a few years back, because he'd worked all his life and put money into savings, pension etc. to give him and my mum a comfortable retirement, they said you can afford it so you can pay for yourself, whilst the lazy git that's never worked gets it for free....drives me mad
animated-smileys-angry-004.gif

I wouldn't thank you for that actually....I would never buy a 370Z - terrible fuel consumption and only average performance from the power of the engine....plus its RWD. :(
Looking at the advert there seems to be some doubt of that particular car qualifying for £145 road tax. There is an asterisk next to the £145 which denotes "If the list price of a car is over £40,000, then an extra £310 will be payable from the second time the vehicle is taxed for up to 5 year", which is incorrect because its currently £320 extra.
The on the road price of a 370 Nismo is currently £40370 basic price.....so it is quite possible that the car for sale would not qualify for the standard rate of tax.
Nooo you miss my tongue in cheek point! Not so much the actual car but the engine, Mrs little old lady sitting at the lights in her little Corsa is paying £145 the same as the guy next to her in a 3.7 V6 :)

But if we have to do the everything correct! Under £40k list price car to avoid the higher tax bracket for the first 5 years https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/new/201902275340075? BUT it's still a 3.7 V6 344bhp car for £145 tax :p

Reactions: Ron240 and Bells
Your A4 would have been first registered prior to 1st April 2017 so is not subject to the new rules introduced on that date. Your Fiesta was first registered after this date so will be exactly the same to tax as mine.
Its swings and roundabouts.....all cars in the cheaper category went up while the higher ones came down. There are far more cars on UK roads with smaller lower powered engines, so its a win for the government.
Its a win for me as well though because as I said I have not had road tax this cheap for many years. :)
It is purely a cash cow for the government and it isn't difficult to go over the £40k mark either incurring a further charge of £350, I think, for four years...

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Ron240
It is purely a cash cow for the government and it isn't difficult to go over the £40k mark either incurring a further charge of £350, I think, for four years...
5 Years I’m pretty sure :disrelieved:

First year though is included in the on the road costs, probably passed onto us, so you are correct in that sense. However I was referring to the renewal costs as per the heading...

I'm pretty sure its 5 renewals you pay the additional rate, so the car will be 6 years old before it reverts back to the standard rate.
When they introduced this rate it was £310, then it went up to £320 from 1st April 2019....so probably expect a £10 rise every year.
Plus don't forget the annual standard rate rise of £5, which means that the fifth renewal on a new car bought today could potentially cost a whopping £540 if it has an OTR price of over £40k. :openmouth:
I expect the goalposts will have moved again by then though.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, cuke2u and Bells
Reactions: Ron240