Roof bars in the right place?

mrbubba

Reaction score
Put some roof bars on my Avant, but not sure they are in the right place, as they are quite noisy at around 70mph.
I followed the instructions that came with them and they are placed on the rails exactly where the small indents are on the rails.

My 3 series had larger bars on it and you could hardly hear them
f36c5b57f0510f2458907fddee4fd6f7.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Put some roof bars on my Avant, but not sure they are in the right place, as they are quite noisy at around 70mph.
I followed the instructions that came with them and they are placed on the rails exactly where the small indents are on the rails.

I have Atera rails on my Avant and they do not look as aerodynamic as yours, but I wouldn't say they were particularly noisy but I don't have anything to compare them with. If you have them positioned correctly (as you seem to suggest) then I can't help much I'm afraid!

I have whispbars on my avant and they are pretty quiet. Looking at your photo those feet dont look right to me they should be flush on the roof rails.

Last edited:
The angle of the feet, would be better if you swap the two around. The back ones are angled like the front rail, and vice versa.

And why buy those cheap knock off feets, when you have an expensive car?

The wing bars from Thule are the best, but buy proper feet as well.

It's not a knock off bar got it from roofbox. The feet are numbered and placed in the correct order. The bits on show are covers, that go over the metal feet, I'll check to see if they have corresponding numbers on them and see if I've put them over the wrong bits.
Just because the car is expensive, doesn't mean the parts have to be.

I'll get a close up shot of the feet and see if that helps

Whispbars are better than the Thule ones

No the parts don't have to be expensive, but if you buy cheap roof racks, you will need to accept a lesser function and comfort.

I have thule wingbars and just put them where ever I like. Didn't know they had to be in a specific spot!

They've not been noisy tho.

BZtFsG.jpg

You have holes on the inside of the rail, where the bars will be securely fitted to the car. Have you removed the pins from the bracket of the feets, or just had super luck to not have your stuff fly off. I'd be happy if I where you right now.

Here's a close up.
As long as the bars are in the right place, the wind noise is ok, as they aren't on the car the whole time. Once I've put the bike racks on, the bars will come off and sit in the shed until needed.
I would love the Wispbar, but just couldn't justify spending double and nothing was coming up on ebay
bc8a816d6e0d794dbf27f4e7122a6972.jpg

Finally got round to putting the bike racks on, then have it a clean.... Why oh why did I but black!
6658d31c142b0de30d514b31c222dfd4.jpg