Roof Bars on 3 dr?

I

imported_xdot

Hi all, first post so be kind... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just wondering whether anyone had put temporary roof bars on a 3dr before?...

I know Thule do them for most makes and models but the only ones I've seen are for 5 doors.

Any ideas?

Hi and welcome.

I'm sure Audi dealers stock them for the 3 dr. Don't know price though, sorry.

Thanks Japper, my dealer seemed to think they weren't available for 3 doors at the time of ordering, but I'll check again.

I have the Audi roofrack for my 3dr which is great. It only takes a couple of minutes to put on, and is solid as a rock. As with all roofracks you do have to be super-carefull when putting it on/taking it off, so as not to scratch the paintwork....

I know Thule also do one that's available from Halfords. It's about £40 cheaper than the Audi one I think (mine was £170), but I thought I'd play it safe and go for the Audi (had a Thule for my golf and it was fine though).

a few months before I ordered my A3 I got worried because the dealer I visited said that they had problems with the roofrack, but I ended up seeing one on someone's car a month or so later.

try www.roofbox.com

I went for thule as it is easy to add new items like, ski carrier, roof box, cycle carrier etc. etc. as and when you need it, and from any motoring store in Europe.

And I have changed my car 4 times since I bought the Thule system and evrytime I just buy a new foot pack for about £30 so the whole lot works on the new car.

There is alos loads of Thule stuff on ebay so you can pick up bits really cheap. A set comprising of aero bars, one key system, 2 professional cycle carriers and the foot pack for the A3 went for £52 last week, which would have been over £200 new.

Are people mind readers on here? Just been thinking about getting a roof rack and cycle carrier. Thanks guys!

Wouldnt personally put a decent bike on a roof rack..... much better using a towbar mounted rack like a Pendle...

General reviews of roobars here.

Autoexpress

You might need to register to read the reviews.

Also roofboxes reviewed.

remember the Audi roof bars are about 4mm too wide for any 3rd party fitments....

I found out to my cost when i tried to fit a bike carrier to the Audi bars...
"Sorry sir you will have to buy the Audi one" a snip at nearly £300 notes!

In the end i ebayed the Audi part and bought the Thule system.....

Had bike carriers and roofboxes on it no problems...

The Thule Aero bars look very similar and use the dedicated A3 fixing points...

R

Thanks Robin. That's the one I'm thinking of getting. Audi taking the mickey (and your money), as usual.

Bike fits perfecting in the foot, btw. Just took the front wheel off to make it easier. There's loads of room!