Roof panel

Hal Adams

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Before I post on the A3 forum, might anyone here be au fait with the A3 body panels. especially the roof panel - is it difficult to replace?

My car has been peppered by hailstones during a rogue thunderstorm, and AXA are now saying they might write it off due the difficulty (hence cost) of replacing the panels. This is fine on the face of it, but a quick look around and it is still not going to be cheap to find a car of the same spec, let alone move onto an FL or TTRS! I am therefore wondering if I should buy my car back and take the risk of the repair myself...

Thanks for the intro! We have had a message thread on this, but his experience is with a car with a pano roof. Mine does not have one. The assessor was saying something about the possibility of the repair looking as if it had a twist in the roof.
Anyway, I got to thinking and if all this goes ahead and I have to buy the car back, I coulkd fill the dimples (they are ever so slight) with a soft filler mix and wrap the roof in a matt black - shouldn/t be too expensive...

Thanks for the intro! We have had a message thread on this, but his experience is with a car with a pano roof. Mine does not have one. The assessor was saying something about the possibility of the repair looking as if it had a twist in the roof.
Anyway, I got to thinking and if all this goes ahead and I have to buy the car back, I coulkd fill the dimples (they are ever so slight) with a soft filler mix and wrap the roof in a matt black - shouldn/t be too expensive...
If they are just small dimples, surely a professional could get these out? I've seen plenty of people with quite hefty dents and dings in their cars get them removed for minimal cost.

If they write it off, as you say buy it back, strip the roof lining etc out yourself (that's where a decent chunk of the costs would be - labour) and see if you can get a good PDR guy in to get the dents out.

Always worth a try anyway.

Reactions: Behind The Bins
I’ve no knowledge or experience with anything like this, but I think you’d be right buying it back and sorting it... the filler and wrap would be the easiest option and a black roof would look great on the car anyway