rotational noise since clutch change

kizron

Reaction score
hi guys,

i wonder if anyone can help,im quite a newbie and dont know a great deal about cars and i have employed a mobile mechanic to come out and supply and fit a clutch to my 2001 a4 1.8t quattro.the guy was doing it for almost 3 days has he said he was having a nightmare with it but ever since he has done it im getting a noise from underneath the car which i can only describe as the sound of my mums old sewing machine.the sound gets louder and faster the faster i go but its there from almost as soon as i set off.the sound gets slower and quieter and i can hear a grinding noise just before i come to a complete stop.i have walked at the side of the car when the wife drove it and i think i can establish the noise is from where gearknob is.i have taken it out of gear whilst driving and there was no difference in noise and i even turned off the engine and the noise stayed the same.there is no noise when the car is stationary and its fine when ticking over other than this the car runs great.do you think this is a coincidence or would it be related to the work on the clutch?.the guy bought a clutch kit but told me the d.m.f was fine so this hasnt been changed.he has already been out to me since as the clutch pedal was stuck to the floor and he bled the clutch and its now fine but ive told him about this problem but he says he will call back but then texts me with reasons why he cant.can anyone help me or have had a clutch fitted and had the same problem?

Get it up on a 2 poster ramp and sit someone in it , tell them to start it and put it in gear and slowly let the clutch up, all 4 wheels will turn and you should be able to have a proper look.

Hi Jimmy Im Not Sure he has been back since and looked under the car and has spotted a leak on the diff at the back and thinks it's that but I've done some research and the noise and symptoms of a diff don't sound like mine does this sound right to you? Also I've forgot to mention that there is a fault on the abs pump and the front offside wheel sticks but I had this problem and I noticed a drip on the diff box before I had clutch done but I didn't have the noise I have now. Thanks for the replies.