Rough idle and exhaust ticking when I stop the car

DaMac

Reaction score
I have an audi A3 2010 8PA 1.6 model, I have just purchased it and found the ideal to be constantly rough, I have changed the spark plugs, about to look at the coil pack and the HT plug leads next. Fingers crossed this sorts it, any other suggestions welcome??

Car also does a lot of heat ticking (rather loud) once driven and warm, know this is general expansion of metal etc possibly on the exhaust, but just really loud and lasts for about 30 seconds to a min. I again just want to check if anyone else has similar symptoms with their A3? Would a replacement exhaust be needed?

Does it say in your service book last time plugs where done cause if not change them all out for a decent make , do coils at same time , scan car and see if any faults if so clear all faults switch engine off 5mins then rescan see if there is any faults.
Exhaust get car put up on ramps and check exhaust is A ok

Does it say in your service book last time plugs where done cause if not change them all out for a decent make , do coils at same time , scan car and see if any faults if so clear all faults switch engine off 5mins then rescan see if there is any faults.
Exhaust get car put up on ramps and check exhaust is A ok
thanks mate, I have done the plugs (NGK) and the leads and the coil pack, still getting a misfire. Do you think it could have anything to do with the cat on the exhaust if it was on its way out?

Did you purchase privately or thought a dealer? If via a dealer then take it back to them to fix - you have 6 months Consumer Guarantee cover.

What do you mean rough idle? Is the car hunting (revs up and down) or missing?

If it’s hunting then I’d probably start with PCV valve and new dip stick. If it’s missing then plugs, fuel filter and then coils - make sure you go genuine.

Can’t help with the exhaust ticking sorry.

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
Did you purchase privately or thought a dealer? If via a dealer then take it back to them to fix - you have 6 months Consumer Guarantee cover.

What do you mean rough idle? Is the car hunting (revs up and down) or missing?

If it’s hunting then I’d probably start with PCV valve and new dip stick. If it’s missing then plugs, fuel filter and then coils - make sure you go genuine.

Can’t help with the exhaust ticking sorry.

hi there, thanks for coming back to me. Not rev up and down on it. More misfire (one of the garages said it was a misfire on cylinder 2 but could not diagnose it) and struggled to start revs were all over the place this morning in the cold (first time this has happened today).

I have done the spark plugs, ht leads and the coil pack recently - about 3 weeks ago. I have a new fuel filter on the way so I am hoping that this is the culprit and it is nothing more expensive like the injectors?

hi there, thanks for coming back to me. Not rev up and down on it. More misfire (one of the garages said it was a misfire on cylinder 2 but could not diagnose it) and struggled to start revs were all over the place this morning in the cold (first time this has happened today).

I have done the spark plugs, ht leads and the coil pack recently - about 3 weeks ago. I have a new fuel filter on the way so I am hoping that this is the culprit and it is nothing more expensive like the injectors?

unfortunately a private purchase and not a dealer purchase.