Rough idle any ideas

SI-W85

Reaction score
Basically I set off from the shop earlier and the car backed off then went then backed off again, anyway I pulled up outside my house and it was running really rough on idle. I know it's hard to say as it could be a number of things so what I'm asking is what is the most likely thing to be or what could cause this? Here is a vid of what it is doing.

Ok so just been out and unplugged the maf sensor to see if that made a difference and it didn't so what do you think could it be the maf or if it was already running rough the maf wouldn't make a difference if unplugged anyway?

I have only drove it half a mile since it started and it drove awful on set off as said, I pulled away normal it set off then backed off then went again then backed off again :/

I'm going to get it to awsome for a cambelt change and a major service will get this sorted at same time, hope the missis understands why she won't be getting a Christmas present this year hahaha she already dislikes the car :keule:

cheers dude me too, It will get sorted just a matter of how much and with the luck I'm having lately it won't be cheap :( just as I've booked my wheels in for a refurb and various other bits and bats doing lol going to be an expensive month I think ha

Gunna get vcds on it this week hopefully and scan it to see if anything comes up also I'll have the maf out tonight or tomorrow and give it a clean to see if that makes a difference, just hope I can get in at awsome some time soon

if it was maf it should have run better unplugged.

if I was closer id scan it for you

Reactions: SI-W85
Cheers hades I've booked it in to Awsome Gti but can't get in until 6th December :(

Just as a bit of an update the car is running fine again :/ last night I decided to stick it in the garage and take a look myself anyway I took the air filter & maf off and covered the intake for a second to see if there were any leaks on intercooler pipes etc but they were all fine, I then took a pipe off the intercooler just to check for excessive oil but that was fine, so I then took the throttle body off to look for carbon build up as its had the egr delete and wondered if any crap had gone in to the throttle body but that was clean :/ checked anti shudder valve all was good. Put everything back on and it started to run a little better, not perfect but better so I drove to a friends house to plug in the vcds and these are the fault codes that came up 3 of which I imagine are from me unplugging but the FUEL PRESSURE REFULATION, threw me a little. Anyway cleared all faults and left it at that, I was thinking injector so I got some injector cleaner today just as a long shot which I put in tonight but before I did I started the car and it was running fine. I just hope it stays that way. It's still going to Awsome for a major service though.