Round up & reviews ....... Air intakes

Fctaff

Reaction score
Hi all

Following the success of the exhaust thread, my car once again will be going under the spanner for your entertainment.

This time it will be air intakes, I have been trying to track them all down with varying success.

I have had confirmation tonight that I am genuinely excited about. I can not wait to get my hands on this one, from the photos this looks fantastic quality. Plus it sounds like it has a bit of tech involved, I'm intrigued!

Details to follow, consider your appetites well and truely wetted lol

Interested in this, currently running REVO intake on my 2.0TFsi A4 quattro.

What's your thoughts on it ?

Off car at the moment as it had to be modified at Revo because heat shield did not fit correctly due to coolant pipe from s-tronic gearbox fouling one side. Have not had time to refit but will be soon.

I did run it for a week before the mod, bodged fitting of heatshield and seemed ok. Slight whistling noise under load suppose it is noticeable due to filter positioned close to drivers side. Spoke to Revo and said whistle was normal. Think car picked up slightly quicker than normal, Revo reckon extra 5bhp? Not sure if I could notice that difference. Car running Stage1 revo remap on Shell Nitro+, so is pretty quick, not in S4 territory though.

Will report back when fitted again.

I have the ECS intake on my S4 and absolutely love it, some may think it's a bit loud and anyone that doesn't know about cars or superchargers will probably think my cars broken at WOT. The noise is addictive and anyone into cars seems to love it, also the thing is an absolute work of art!

Ryan

I have heard the video of the ecs and must say I did like the whine, you traveling down south anytime soon ?

How far south? I'm off to the scorpion factory Wednesday to get my exhaust fitment sorted but that's the only trip I have planned in a southerly direction

No sorry pal, no plans to be down that way! Do you have any trips up north planned?

Not that I can think of where is the nearest airport, could fly up.

Hahaha, your absolutely nuts! I'm about 15 miles away from Manchester airport

Got the Revo on my S4.
I love the charger whine you get when giving it some beans :)

Reactions: Gazwould, chucky1 and RyanJonS4
IMG 0042
I'm for the Carbonio on the S4. Sorry Fc no trips planned via Bristol at the moment. Pop over here for a listen!

Reactions: xpoweruk and RyanJonS4
image_1.jpeg

image_2.jpeg

image_3.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: xpoweruk and chucky1
Haha...not much in it Ryan.
IMG 0061

Reactions: RyanJonS4 and xpoweruk
Currently running the ECS intake and can highly recommend. Excellent fitting, nice sound and increase of 15 bhp with the Stage 2 + remap on the dyno.

Intake5
Intake4
Intake2
Intake1

Reactions: RyanJonS4 and chucky1
This is one of the ones I was really interested in testing but they were not interested.

The trouble with those shiny air-filter covers is that it makes the engine cover look dull. Needs a new shiny engine cover to match :)

I have seen pictures of CF engine covers but no clue who makes them.

I've got a few more dress up bits coming for under the bonnet, and I've been thinking about buying some valve covers and having them painted in a crackle red finish. I've also seen a thread on audizine where someone had taken their supercharger off and painted it red

Unfortunately after showing some initial interest in the idea, sadly REVO have pulled out and will not be loaning a unit for review.

Unfortunately after showing some initial interest in the idea, sadly REVO have pulled out and will not be loaning a unit for review.
Shame, still atleast you have had some feedback from mine on the 2.0 TFSI. I take it you are interested in the one for the S4?

Well it's just easier to get something of a baseline if the same person experiences a verity of units.

Say we are looking at the SC whine for example. If you have jo saying X amount of whine, Fred saying X amount of whine and Tom saying X amount of whine. How knows what unit has the most or lest whine, some people will want more some less. If the same person has heard them all he can tell you for a fact, also five different people fitting them, who knows how easy or hard to install. The same person ( garage ) fitting it sets a baseline.

I just like to do these reviews for others, let's be fair these parts are not cheap. If you get it wrong and there is more whine then you wanted it's £500-£1000 gone and your unhappy or you wanted more and your unhappy.

I was not really thinking of changing my intake, just quite a few people on the forum suggested intakes should be the next project.

Richter Sport ABT has just become the official importers for arma intakes, the Arma intakes look like a work of art, if looks are your thing. They have two models, one normal, one variable ? This has peaked my interest "variable" I'm waiting on spec and info. Should have more information for you tomorrow.

We have another intake loan agreed today ( one you see little of ) so the test is shaping up nicely, I'm hoping to get as many as I can for you reading pleasure. The fitters are on standby, spanners at the ready.

Reactions: jaygemson and ianv5
As promised I have some more info on the arma variable intake from Richter sport.

There is a valve within the intake that opens to stop loss of torque at low RPM, the valve can be configured to open at a set RPM level or opened via wifi from an app!

As promised I have some more info on the arma variable intake from Richter sport.

There is a valve within the intake that opens to stop loss of torque at low RPM, the valve can be configured to open at a set RPM level or opened via wifi from an app!

I think the low down torque in the S4 is fine without the extra cost for the active filter

Well that is why we test things, could be a revelation !

Reactions: xpoweruk
They must do it for a reason, I think we should have an open mind. If we have never tried one with it, how would we know if it will make a difference ?

How is a valve on the intake going to be able to allow more air into the engine at low rpms and thus more fuel and more torque?

On a NA engine the car can only pull in through the intake whatever the capacity of the cylinders are.

A narrower intake will mean that the air will travel through the intake at a higher velocity but too small will choke the engine, too big and it won't be able to create enough vacuum to pull enough air in. In this case any gain from an intake would be minuscule if at all, and probably will lose power.

On a supercharged car the air is governed by the size of the charger, and is a set speed governed by engine speed. Running a narrow intake would make no difference as the higher velocity air wouldn't go through the charger. The reason larger intakes are used on tuned cars is because at some point they become too narrow for the engines need and it starts to choke.

The only way I could see any benefit of this would be on a turbocharged car where the turbo has varying speeds depending on exhaust flow, narrowing the intake at low rpms could help the turbo spool quicker (as the air coming in is at a higher velocity) and then as it opened it would help the turbo breathe as the revs climbed. but again I would expect to see a very small difference.

On stock cars with mass airflow sensors in the intake tract, gains are made due to the fact you are allowing more air in than the sensor is measuring, this leans out the afr closer to maximum power. The factory tunes are designed to run richer than needed to keep the cylinders cool.
The sensors are calibrated to the diameter of the intake.
I have tuned many turbo mazda cars in varying states of modification from scratch and the first thing you do is calibrate the MAF sensor on the intake.

Long winded, I know!!

Reactions: Lambtech
Why does it have that music over it? Got to be one of the strangest 3 minute videos I've ever seen! If your selling a sound orientated product then surely you'd want to show it off instead of some crap tune

The way these intakes are being slated on here before they have even been given a chance is ridiculous. If they all pull out before the test I could not blame them TBH.

This is the last time I will go out of my way to do anything like this, it takes a lot of time effort and money to do. I'll stick to doing it for the owners club..

Reactions: ianv5 and Lavis89
B7 rs4 has a valve in the airbox as stock... More for noise reduction at lower revs I believe (and increased flow at higher revs), but not a first in design.

Reactions: ANDYTQ
I wasn't slating the intake, the idea of the valve or the firm that makes them and I hope you haven't taken my comments the wrong way. I was just questioning their advertising and marketing techniques.