Roundabouts & Oxford Cyclists

Jerbla

Jerbla
Reaction score
What is it with people who think taking the left lane, at a roundabout to go right. When you do take the correct lane, ( The right hand side ) there is some pillock sat there doing the "round the outside" stunt. Plainly dangerous and discourteous.

Oxford Cyclists, absolute nightmare. Aggressive, rude and inconsiderate on the whole ( I am a cyclist, but ride, I like to think defensively and with consideration to other users ). It seems to be they think dark or preferably Black cloths, no lights is the safe way to ride at night. Red lights do not apply them. Cars have no rights. They don't have to look before pulling out. All onus is on the car, so add in Children, other distractions and then some aggressive idiot with no lights, its a nightmare. The survival gene has been taken over by the "Entitled one" i.e. its my right to do this, Car v Bike, who ever is wrong or right is no pretty or good outcome for the cyclist.

Last edited:
no idea on this cant understand the post at all.

Thanks hades have corrected the bad typo's and hopefully made the point a little clearer.

I get what your saying.

try it in a artic its even worse.

Iv been two Oxford twice, once was in the middle of the night and never forget how badly miss-shaped the road was from the buses, I thought the car was going to bottom out in the middle, the second time I had to deal with all the *******, then again I drive in London regulary and that is just the same, if it was that easy I'd of just ******** off by now to a different country, a small island big enough to drive round but small enough that it's not full of male chickens, I don't know if it's the stopping smoking that's mad me this angry with stuff or it's getting older but I'm nearly ready to give up on the human race.

Many many cyclists and terrible traffic behaviour can also be found in Cambridge. I drove through there when I picked up my car and it ruined my 1st drive in my 1st ever Audi. I was so stressed after spending over an hour getting through the awful vehicle hating city.

Cyclists do have a right to be in the outside all the way round on a roundabout though.

Not sure where the official highway code for cyclists resides buy I imagine GOV.UK rules carry some weight, according to them you're incorrect

Quote from GOV.UK web site below:

Signals and position
When taking the first exit to the left, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise
  • signal left and approach in the left-hand lane
  • keep to the left on the roundabout and continue signalling left to leave.
When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise
  • signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
  • keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout
  • signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.
When taking any intermediate exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise
  • select the appropriate lane on approach to and on the roundabout
  • you should not normally need to signal on approach
  • stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout
When there are more than three lanes at the entrance to a roundabout, use the most appropriate lane on approach and through it.

Reactions: Jerbla
To add to the roundabout annoyances...

HGV's excluded from this as they often have no choice, it really annoys me when people think its acceptable to take the racing/lazy line through them. By that I mean the straightest line possible cutting from left lane to right lane & back again to minimise the effort they have to put in to steering their vehicle!
I tell you the amount of times I've had to brake hard to avoid someone steering (or not as the case may actually be) into me on roundabout is just incredible. Makes it worse when they have no idea at all that they've just cut you up, totally oblivious to all around them.

The clue is in the name you idiots, you drive around a roundabout not straight over it ;)

It's in the Highway Code somewhere, I only did my theory last year and remember reading about it, a cyclist using a roundabout in the left lane isn't nessaserally turning left as its too dangerous to be on the inside of a roundabout. Anyway, I've had many run ins with cyclists ignoring the rules of the road. I commuted by bike every day till I took my test (20 years)

Cyclists do have a right to be in the outside all the way round on a roundabout though.
Cars on roundabouts and Cyclist are a separate iissue, sorry if my message not clear on that.

Many many cyclists and terrible traffic behaviour can also be found in Cambridge. I drove through there when I picked up my car and it ruined my 1st drive in my 1st ever Audi. I was so stressed after spending over an hour getting through the awful vehicle hating city.
Seems quality higher education and car hating go hand in hand!

Not sure where the official highway code for cyclists resides buy I imagine GOV.UK rules carry some weight, according to them you're incorrect

Quote from GOV.UK web site below:

Signals and position
When taking the first exit to the left, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise
  • signal left and approach in the left-hand lane
  • keep to the left on the roundabout and continue signalling left to leave.
When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise
  • signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
  • keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout
When taking any intermediate exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise
  • select the appropriate lane on approach to and on the roundabout
  • you should not normally need to signal on approach
  • stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout
When there are more than three lanes at the entrance to a roundabout, use the most appropriate lane on approach and through it.

I wish drivers would adopt this!

You mean, like any good driving instructor should teach you?? Yeah, me too...

Reactions: Jerbla