RPM 2.0 TDI 170

Jayme

Reaction score
I picked up my first ever Diesel car yesterday. Had a nice comfortable journey driving back from Blackburn to Essex in work traffic. I’ve only ever owned petrol motors. I’m used to revving the guts out of them when driving fast ie 0-60 in 1st and 2nd or 0-90 in gears 1, 2 and 3. What I have noticed is I know nothing of how to drive a diesel. My car is a A6 2.0 TDI 170 bhp 6 speed manual.
It doesn’t have a lot of power under 2.5k rpm or past 3.7k. What rpm to you hold till when having a bit of fun and what rpm or gear do you like to be in when driving around town. Is it 4th gear for 30mph or could it be 5th gear?

Welcome to the world of diesels, and big torque. They are very tunable too, as are petrols.
The turbo doesn't come up to boost pressure until 2.5k revs. That's common for a diesel to have some lag, so for a fast get away rev it first.
Your engine is a BRD code, this has a larger turbo compared to the 140hp BRE.
The BRE has a smaller turbo so spools up quicker. The BRE also doesn't have a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) in the exhaust, so removing the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve can be removed safely. Sadly yours does, if stock.

You can drive 5th gear at 30mph. Just keep an eye on the rev counter until you get used to the feel of it.

Welcome to the world of diesels, and big torque. They are very tunable too, as are petrols.
The turbo doesn't come up to boost pressure until 2.5k revs. That's common for a diesel to have some lag, so for a fast get away rev it first.
Your engine is a BRD code, this has a larger turbo compared to the 140hp BRE.
The BRE has a smaller turbo so spools up quicker. The BRE also doesn't have a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) in the exhaust, so removing the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve can be removed safely. Sadly yours does, if stock.

You can drive 5th gear at 30mph. Just keep an eye on the rev counter until you get used to the feel of it.
Thank you very much. I am really enjoying it so far. I love the A6, great car and not as common for people my age (21 years old). I got a bit bored of the NA petrol motor I was running as it was so linear you didn’t really feel much. The turbo lag is kinda fun around town but when messing around against my friend’s stage 1 220i it’s noticeable. The big turbo really does pull but it takes a while. It’s no sports car I know, I was drawn to it for the good fuel economy and the comfort for long distances. Remapping it concerns me as I’d be worried about premature wear and tear on the internals and will probably start slipping clutches. Are there any uprated clutches that will fit this engine or would I have to keep getting OEM clutches.
Kind regards,
J.

I'm really not sure on the clutch front, you'll have the do some research.

I've had my 140 BRE remapped to 180 and I have to say the car was totally transformed, so much more responsive.
But then I have the smaller turbo and she goes way below 2.5k revs now. I've had absolutely no issues at all, fuel consumption has improved too.
It's said that a mapped 140 is better than a stock 180. Yours can be mapped to 220, and that is in 2.7l territory.

I've also removed my EGR valve and cooler and changed to a flapless manifold for durability.

I'm really not sure on the clutch front, you'll have the do some research.

I've had my 140 BRE remapped to 180 and I have to say the car was totally transformed, so much more responsive.
But then I have the smaller turbo and she goes way below 2.5k revs now. I've had absolutely no issues at all, fuel consumption has improved too.
It's said that a mapped 140 is better than a stock 180. Yours can be mapped to 220, and that is in 2.7l territory.

I've also removed my EGR valve and cooler and changed to a flapless manifold for durability.
This is great hearing from actual experiences. I might get a remap then, I just want a longer power band and something a lot more responsive under 2.5k, that way I don’t have to thrash the engine when I want to get up to speed fast.

Reactions: Pie-eyedpiper